Hypo symptoms

Hayley130

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hay Dylans mum
Its so hard with teenagers my daughter has been told by the diabetes psycholoist she needs to tell friends she didn't like that.but i dont think she will even be back school till September. I think maybe we should lay off her a little and give her time to process. Im so sorry your son thinks he will get bullied if he tells someone at school. Has the school not suggested anything to help him. They both need to realise its nothing to be ashamed of its part of them. Oh my this is deffo a coffee and cake chat lol if you need to chat anything over please message me. Im knew to this myself but two heads and all that. Take care Hayley xx

Dylans mom

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hay Dylans mum
Its so hard with teenagers my daughter has been told by the diabetes psycholoist she needs to tell friends she didn't like that.but i dont think she will even be back school till September. I think maybe we should lay off her a little and give her time to process. Im so sorry your son thinks he will get bullied if he tells someone at school. Has the school not suggested anything to help him. They both need to realise its nothing to be ashamed of its part of them. Oh my this is deffo a coffee and cake chat lol if you need to chat anything over please message me. Im knew to this myself but two heads and all that. Take care Hayley xx
Yes dylan was told a few times by the physiologist to tell people but hes not interested, most kids assume if u have diabetes it means your fat so he doesnt want to hear that even though hes not fat. School haven't been fab to be honest, in the early days he said he would rather be dead than keep going this but thankfully that's gone now. Honestly give her time it's a lot to accept. Dont know how u found out but dylan was nearly in a diabetic coma and they was talking about brain damage at first luckily he was fine but it was a stressful time for all. Carb counting is a pain but it gets easier and like second nature. I'm here if u need anything xx

Hayley130

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
We found out early i think Paige was fine when she went in hospital well felt fine. So shes not have that bad experience like Dylan did. I think Paige has a problam with people thinking its her diet that caused it to. Its just educating people easy said then done i know. The first few weeks i was just like a robot doing what i need do until i had melt down with my scales, paper, and pen. Its so hard on everyone including us. I hope Dylan dose tell someone soon he needs to own it, not it own him but its important he gos his own pace and if its like paige's its nearly on reverse lol . Talk soon Hayley xx

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Hi my daughter is 13 and been diagnosed with type 1 two days before lock down how is your son in coming to terms with everything, telling friends ect. My daughter is only getting phone calls from everyone due to covid. She suffers with hypos but dont always recognise them. Its hard i know.
Sorry to hear about your daughter‘s hypos @Hayley130

Must be very worrying for you both that she doesn’t always spot them. Have your clinic mentioned Libre or CGM as an option - they can make it much easier to see what is going on ‘between the dots’ and to check in between times to head-off hypos before they happen.

Hayley130

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
No one has mentioned anything to us about anything like that maybe i should bring it up.

stephknits

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Hayley, my daughter who was diagnosed on 1st May has received her freestyle libre today. In our area you get one funded by the NHS 12 weeks after diagnosis of you are under the pediatric service. Normally (pre covid) there would be a requirement to go on a training session about how to use it, bit we did the freestyle libre online training instead and this was enough. We have chosen to get the libre now and self-fund until she is eligible to get it on the NHS at the end of July. We got the scanner and a trial sensor for free. I myself use the libre and find it invaluable for noticing trends etc and for finding out what is going on at night. I would definitely ask your team about it.

Thebearcametoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
That can happen sometimes. Is she mostly in target otherwise? It can help to give her a week of being in the 7-10 range to see if she develops hypo symptoms again. My daughter has gone through phases of having really good hypo awareness and phases when she’s had no clue.

Sometimes when you have a run of hypos you end up over correcting and then giving more insulin tha is needed at the next meal and ending up with another hypo. Our DSN says if you have 3 hypos in a day to have 10g carbs free in the next meal as well as the 10g carbs after the hypo treatment. If you’re at all unsure then give your DSN/team a call.

And it doesn’t mean you’re doing anything wrong btw. Sometimes it just is like that with diabetes. Knowing what to do when it happens is key. Over time you’ll get more confident about how to adjust for things like that.

Hayley130

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi thebearcametoo
Thanks for your advice Shes had 13 hypos so far this month is that high ?. But shes had a few days where shes been fine no hypos at all. She has a free biscuit (no insulin) if her glucose level is below 7 at bed time and this seems to help with night hypos. And it works well for her . Il deffo try the 10g free. And believe me i need all the advice i can get still a learner deffo. Thanks Hayley

Thebearcametoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Your team would be best to advise on how many hypos is normal in the mix of all her other tests. At the beginning it can be really tricky to juggle it as her body may well be producing some of her own insulin. If we track patterns of hypos and highs (over 10) over a week or two then we get an idea of whether the insulin ratios are about right or not. To begin with though your team will be the ones to spot patterns. Some weeks we’ll have no hypos, some weeks several over successive days. Hormones, activity levels, growth, illness, excitement levels can all affect insulin needs so it really varies and you will feel like you’re constantly updating ratios or making changes.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi thebearcametoo
Thanks for your advice Shes had 13 hypos so far this month is that high ?. But shes had a few days where shes been fine no hypos at all. She has a free biscuit (no insulin) if her glucose level is below 7 at bed time and this seems to help with night hypos. And it works well for her . Il deffo try the 10g free. And believe me i need all the advice i can get still a learner deffo. Thanks Hayley
I think with the information about the good it would definitely be worth asking about a Libre. It will make things easier for you both, as you can easily monitor glucose levels with just a swipe of the reader or her phone over the sensor. So much easier and as it shows the direction in which glucose levels are going alongside the actual reading it is a lot easier to head of lows and highs before they become a problem. It is also a lot less obtrusive doing the tests.

Thebearcametoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Yes that’s a really useful function on the Libre. My daughter won’t use one though o_O:) so we’re old school:D

stephknits

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I asked this question yesterday of my team and they said they were comfortable with 3 hypos a week. Otherwise they would be looking to adjust either basal or bolus ratios as appropriate

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think the other really useful thing about sensors is that you can look at ‘time in range’ rather than number of events. So a horrid low that you battle with for 2 hours multi-treating, counts far more than just grazing 3.8 for 2 minutes then bouncing back to 5.5.

There’s a general consensus of suggested TIR for adults, and also during pregnancy, but I think it would be different in paeds.

Last edited by a moderator: