Hypo help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will do, thanks
Ok, so I’d have had more toast if one slice is your usual amount otherwise you’re not having any additional long-acting carbs after your hypo.

I've just had a call with from a Diabetes Dietitian and she basically told me I'm not eating enough carbs which is why I had the problems this morning so I'm going to increase what I'm having in general.

She was really impressed with how fast I brough my levels down to single digits but said that it was probably to fast for me to realise the balance between the food and insulin.

Basically, I'm being to tight with what I'm eating as the insulin is there to support me eating more than what I am.

I've just had a call with from a Diabetes Dietitian and she basically told me I'm not eating enough carbs which is why I had the problems this morning so I'm going to increase what I'm having in general.
Has the dietician mentioned when they will "allow" you to carb count?
I find it surprising that you are on fixed doses so have to eat a certain amount of carbs.
Moving to a basal-bolus (long acting and short acting) insulin regime gives you much more flexibility to eat what and when you want. Currently you are restricted.

Has the dietician mentioned when they will "allow" you to carb count?
I find it surprising that you are on fixed doses so have to eat a certain amount of carbs.
Moving to a basal-bolus (long acting and short acting) insulin regime gives you much more flexibility to eat what and when you want. Currently you are restricted.
No... Nothing about counting.

She said to just have more and reintroduce rice and pasta into my diet?

No... Nothing about counting.

She said to just have more and reintroduce rice and pasta into my diet?
That's great if you want to reintroduce pasta and rice but you shouldn't have to.
In your position, I would be pushing to have the flexibility to eat what I want which means carb counting and a bolus (fast acting) insulin when I eat.

It is obviously up to you and if you feel comfortable with a more regular regime, there is no problem.

On another topic, you mentioned your Libre. I hope it went in ok and the clang when you applied it was not too shocking for you.

That's great if you want to reintroduce pasta and rice but you shouldn't have to.
In your position, I would be pushing to have the flexibility to eat what I want which means carb counting and a bolus (fast acting) insulin when I eat.

It is obviously up to you and if you feel comfortable with a more regular regime, there is no problem.

On another topic, you mentioned your Libre. I hope it went in ok and the clang when you applied it was not too shocking for you
Oh the Libre was about an hour of staring in a mirror pushing slightly harder until it just popped in.

The noise was actually helpful to me because it distracted me from what was happening suddenly enough that I didn't pass out hahaha.

I'm still really wary of added pasta and rice back in. I don't want my levels to shoot up again and feel like I'm "failing" - I feel like that already when I have to take hours to use a needle (although I'm starting to get much better at it than I was when I started.).

Well - who told you to reduce the amount of carb you are eating? The whole 'thing' about insulin dependent diabetes is to eat normally. If you are diagnosed Type 2 - then OK, but you have not been diagnosed Type 2!

My prob with using Humulin I and S as MDI was unpredictable uncontrollable and totally random hypos, and I wrote off two cars on the M42 because of those - but then when I was changed to Lantus and Novorapid, things got easier and when I later swapped the Lantus for Levemir. simpler still. This was of course pre-Libre so all I had to rely on was the fact it was 5.5 hrs after lunchtime bolus and my BG test before getting in the car to drive home was 6-ish, therefore making me assume I'd be OK for the next half hour.

The noise was actually helpful to me because it distracted me from what was happening suddenly enough that I didn't pass out hahaha.
My guess is that's intentional. (Though it's possible it's as quiet as they can make it I guess.)

Well - who told you to reduce the amount of carb you are eating? The whole 'thing' about insulin dependent diabetes is to eat normally. If you are diagnosed Type 2 - then OK, but you have not been diagnosed Type 2!

My prob with using Humulin I and S as MDI was unpredictable uncontrollable and totally random hypos, and I wrote off two cars on the M42 because of those - but then when I was changed to Lantus and Novorapid, things got easier and when I later swapped the Lantus for Levemir. simpler still. This was of course pre-Libre so all I had to rely on was the fact it was 5.5 hrs after lunchtime bolus and my BG test before getting in the car to drive home was 6-ish, therefore making me assume I'd be OK for the next half hour.
I've not been diagnosed as a type yet at all :(.

The hospital told me to reduce carb intake when they diagnosed me originally. I'm guessing I just went overboard trying to "do it right".

That sounds horrible to have a hypo whilst driving! I'm glad you were ok.

It is fine telling you to reduce carbs if you are a type 2 not taking insulin but if you are you should be given some guidance about the amount of carbs to have for your fixed doses of insulin, if you have not then you should ask as they do seem to have been rather vague by just saying eat more carbs.
It is all a bit of a balancing act until your body settles down to a new regime.

I've not been diagnosed as a type yet at all :(.

The hospital told me to reduce carb intake when they diagnosed me originally. I'm guessing I just went overboard trying to "do it right".

That sounds horrible to have a hypo whilst driving! I'm glad you were ok.
Horrible - but fortunately I only wrecked the crash barrier and the car, both times. Oh - and had to pack up driving for 12 months. Only meant changing my job etc .... tricky, but just have to adapt to what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back