Hyperinsulism

How has the heatwave affected your blood glucose?

• High bloods

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low bloods

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Stayed the same

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds very much like being an insulin dependant type 2 as I am. I carb count, test and inject, but of course my body still makes some insulin so it will sometimes decide to help out and then the insulin I’ve injected still works too and I go hypo. It is like being in a permanent honeymoon and can be difficult to manage because it’s so unpredictable.

Hi and welcome.

I am curious as to how they diagnose hyperinsulinism and quantify it to 5% of over production. Or have you had surgery to remove most of your pancreas but you still have about 5% left which would make you Type 3c of course rather than Type 1.
Does this condition mean that you are basically in a permanent state of honeymoon period? That would be a bummer! 🙄

As regards hypos I average just over 1 a day according to Libre but it exaggerates 😡. Libre usually reads 1mmol lower than BG for me and a bad sensor can be up to 2mmols lower, so I don't worry to much about the number of hypos it reports and I double check most of them, unless it is the middle of the night and I know it isn't a compression low from lying on the sensor. I probably still average about 3 minor hypos a week. That said in the past week when I have been taking a break from Libre, the excessive heat has caused me to have multiple proper hypos almost every day despite repeatedly reducing my basal insulin day on day and using less bolus. I was down -9 units from my usual Levemir dose this morning and thankfully I have stayed out for the red today but levels have started to increased on an evening, so my night time dose is now needing increasing and brought forward. It's a constant challenge tweaking my basal doses but I love Levemir for it's flexibility in allowing me to do that.
I have probably had close to 15 hypos in the last week due to the heat and it making me much more sensitive to insulin.
My pancreas produced too much insulin when I was born and I died many times. I had a pancreatectomy to remove 95%. I’ve not heard of the term “honeymoon period” what does that mean? When I’m low I do sometimes check with my bg meter to double check. I do think the heat may have something to do with it however I’ve had lows today after it cooling down- I wasn’t aware your insulin sensitivity could even alter.

I’ve known Jess for several years and have met her (and her mum who used to post here as @Adrienne many years ago).

Jess used to post on a blog here which may have some useful / interesting content for you

I’m pretty sure I knew her as I recognise her mums name also. I used to go to GOSH with her I’m pretty sure. Thank you for the info

This sounds very much like being an insulin dependant type 2 as I am. I carb count, test and inject, but of course my body still makes some insulin so it will sometimes decide to help out and then the insulin I’ve injected still works too and I go hypo. It is like being in a permanent honeymoon and can be difficult to manage because it’s so unpredictable.
Yes! I have exactly the same problem. I’ll do the insulin I’m meant to with food, corrects etc and always seem to drop too much at the moment. I was diagnosed with type one when I was 6 but I’ve heard from many people I might not actually have type one.

@Faith_exx would it be possible for you to tell us how long you have been pumping for and what you have been shown regarding using your pump? Can you also post your blood sugar reading and basal amounts etc.,?
Hopefully we can all chip in and help you out.
It's a case of not wanting to teach grandma to suck eggs if you have a lot of experience of a pump and it's use 🙂

@Faith_exx would it be possible for you to tell us how long you have been pumping for and what you have been shown regarding using your pump? Can you also post your blood sugar reading and basal amounts etc.,?
Hopefully we can all chip in and help you out.
It's a case of not wanting to teach grandma to suck eggs if you have a lot of experience of a pump and it's use 🙂
I’ve been using a pump since I was 12 or 13 (2014)and i used injections from 6 years old(2008). I’ve been shown how to bolus, put on a temp basal, I know how to get to things eg carb ratio but I have no idea how to change it the correct way. That’s something my diabetic nurse or family would do but I don’t have my family close to me and I’m waiting to get into a hospital so I don’t have anyone to help me haha.
I’ll attach images of my blood sugars from my libre the last few days as examples. I have a lot of “hypo fears” as I call it because being low as a baby killed me so many times. So when I go to sleep low I suspend that’s why I woke up high in the screenshots.
My basal rates are
(00:00-04:00) 0.550
(04:00-08:00) 0.550
(08:00-11:00) 1.10
(11:00- 15:00) 0.650
(15:00-17:00) 1.10
(17:00-19:00) 0.925
(19:00-24:00) 0.600
Carb ratio is
(00:00-06:00) 12
(06:00-24:00) 10
Insulin sensitivity factor says 4
I hope this is all the information as I don’t know how to find anything else. Thank you for paying such an interest and trying to help me

Attachments

• 098AF752-C6AE-4359-B0CA-E013718EA26B.png
    098AF752-C6AE-4359-B0CA-E013718EA26B.png
    143.5 KB · Views: 5
  • AA89AEFC-4B4F-42A6-937A-B33EACD99EE9.png
    AA89AEFC-4B4F-42A6-937A-B33EACD99EE9.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 4
  • B07DDC5F-7EC9-4149-95AD-515E2E3173D5.png
    B07DDC5F-7EC9-4149-95AD-515E2E3173D5.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 4
  • A746EC84-70DB-4A71-92BF-72EEE057A755.png
    A746EC84-70DB-4A71-92BF-72EEE057A755.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 68940A2A-489F-4340-B2B5-4A23AA9E3A58.png
    68940A2A-489F-4340-B2B5-4A23AA9E3A58.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 89F3C781-B777-4DFE-8F1C-B3B9F3377011.png
    89F3C781-B777-4DFE-8F1C-B3B9F3377011.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 5
  • A3453ECC-F2AD-45DB-A54E-6B9B37B7E5BC.png
    A3453ECC-F2AD-45DB-A54E-6B9B37B7E5BC.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 5
  • F3F63A3B-B7AE-4C8B-9B55-E83481F93B23.png
    F3F63A3B-B7AE-4C8B-9B55-E83481F93B23.png
    145 KB · Views: 5
  • C3A9E09E-B152-4F9D-8645-8BB01795E3AA.png
    C3A9E09E-B152-4F9D-8645-8BB01795E3AA.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 5
My pancreas produced too much insulin when I was born and I died many times. I had a pancreatectomy to remove 95%. I’ve not heard of the term “honeymoon period” what does that mean? When I’m low I do sometimes check with my bg meter to double check. I do think the heat may have something to do with it however I’ve had lows today after it cooling down- I wasn’t aware your insulin sensitivity could even alter.
The "honeymoon period" is what happens in the early part of a Type 1 diagnosis, when some but not all of the Beta cells which produce insulin have been killed off by the immune system. The remaining insulin producing cells havce become overwhelmed by the constant need to make up the deficit in insulin and struggle to cope but once you start injecting insulin and take a bit of the strain off them, they start to recover a bit sometimes nicely rounding off the edges of your diabetes management and making it easier but for others it is very much in fits and starts which can catch you unawares because you calculate what you need and then your body chips in with a bit of it's own when you don't expect it and causes a hypo.
I seems like you are unaware that you are actually a Type 3c diabetic and not Type 1. The Type of diabetes is classified by the cause. Type 1 is autoimmune.... ie the body has attacked the insulin producing beta cells and started to kill them off.
Type 3c is where the pancreas has been damaged either by disease or surgery. Obviously if you have had 95% of it surgically removed, then you are Type 3c..... a much more exclusive group of people from what I am lead to believe. Do you need to take Creon with your meals to help you digest your food or did they leave the 5% that produces digestive enzymes? Hope I am not confusing you with this information. Most Type 3cs need to be treated like Type 1s as they are insulin dependent but the correct classification might be useful for you to know for future reference.

I can totally see how you would be extremely anxious about hypos in your circumstances. I would encourage you to finger prick test any reading below 4 that Libre throws up because Libre can be adrift from actual BG by quite a bit and often shows me hypo when I am not. It is also important to do your second test after a hypo with a finger prick to see if you have recovered rather than rely on Libre because Libre can take well over half an hour to show that your hypo treatment has worked whereas a finger prick 15 mins after your hypo treatment will show the real situation. If you rely on the Libre for this, you may end up over treating hypos and then getting on the blood glucose roller coaster of highs and lows.

I would suggest you do the basic basal test over a few days so you can see exactly what your blood sugars are doing then any adjustments to your basal can be made 2 hours before you have started to drop.

Is there any reason why you haven't learnt to adjust your pump settings yourself? If you haven't got the manual to change the settings then download it and follow exactly what it says.

I do think most of your problems are not using your pump correctly :(
If you can learn how to use it correctly there are so many options available to you as in either Dexcom or Medtronic sensors to go with a pump that adjusts your basal automatically depending on sensor readings.

There is also a setting on your pump which allows the pump to stop automatically if no buttons have been pressed for X amount of hours. Have a look at your settings to see what it is set at so you have more reassurance as well.

The "honeymoon period" is what happens in the early part of a Type 1 diagnosis, when some but not all of the Beta cells which produce insulin have been killed off by the immune system. The remaining insulin producing cells havce become overwhelmed by the constant need to make up the deficit in insulin and struggle to cope but once you start injecting insulin and take a bit of the strain off them, they start to recover a bit sometimes nicely rounding off the edges of your diabetes management and making it easier but for others it is very much in fits and starts which can catch you unawares because you calculate what you need and then your body chips in with a bit of it's own when you don't expect it and causes a hypo.
I seems like you are unaware that you are actually a Type 3c diabetic and not Type 1. The Type of diabetes is classified by the cause. Type 1 is autoimmune.... ie the body has attacked the insulin producing beta cells and started to kill them off.
Type 3c is where the pancreas has been damaged either by disease or surgery. Obviously if you have had 95% of it surgically removed, then you are Type 3c..... a much more exclusive group of people from what I am lead to believe. Do you need to take Creon with your meals to help you digest your food or did they leave the 5% that produces digestive enzymes? Hope I am not confusing you with this information. Most Type 3cs need to be treated like Type 1s as they are insulin dependent but the correct classification might be useful for you to know for future reference.

I can totally see how you would be extremely anxious about hypos in your circumstances. I would encourage you to finger prick test any reading below 4 that Libre throws up because Libre can be adrift from actual BG by quite a bit and often shows me hypo when I am not. It is also important to do your second test after a hypo with a finger prick to see if you have recovered rather than rely on Libre because Libre can take well over half an hour to show that your hypo treatment has worked whereas a finger prick 15 mins after your hypo treatment will show the real situation. If you rely on the Libre for this, you may end up over treating hypos and then getting on the blood glucose roller coaster of highs and lows.
That is so much useful information. Thank you so much, helps me understand a lot more what my body is doing. Yes I take creon and have done since a baby. I’m definitely type 3c then, I don’t know why the hospital never corrected me and told me. I do always try to finger prick if I’m low- my libre is super accurate though every fifer prick test I’ve done has matched exactly what my sensor has said. Again thank you so much

Last edited:
I would suggest you do the basic basal test over a few days so you can see exactly what your blood sugars are doing then any adjustments to your basal can be made 2 hours before you have started to drop.

Is there any reason why you haven't learnt to adjust your pump settings yourself? If you haven't got the manual to change the settings then download it and follow exactly what it says.

I do think most of your problems are not using your pump correctly :(
If you can learn how to use it correctly there are so many options available to you as in either Dexcom or Medtronic sensors to go with a pump that adjusts your basal automatically depending on sensor readings.

There is also a setting on your pump which allows the pump to stop automatically if no buttons have been pressed for X amount of hours. Have a look at your settings to see what it is set at so you have more reassurance as well.
The reason was mainly that my family sheltered me a lot and didn’t want me to do it myself so I never learnt and then left home in 2020 and I haven’t seen a diabetic team or spoken to them since march 2020. So I didn’t have the opportunity to learn. I’ve recently moved which is why I’m waiting to get an appointment with a diabetic team so I’m hoping they can teach me and my partner how to use it to it’s full potential. I’ve tried the Medtronic sensor that can adjust the insulin settings depending on my bloods but I didn’t like them at all. I ended up pricking more than I was previously- and it was constantly alarming.
Where can I find a manual? I’ve never been very good with testing or looking after my bloods but the libre has made me care a lot more and test more so I now know where I’m going wrong and I’m wanting to fix it. Thank you for all your information as well. Anything helps ☺️

The reason was mainly that my family sheltered me a lot and didn’t want me to do it myself so I never learnt and then left home in 2020 and I haven’t seen a diabetic team or spoken to them since march 2020. So I didn’t have the opportunity to learn. I’ve recently moved which is why I’m waiting to get an appointment with a diabetic team so I’m hoping they can teach me and my partner how to use it to it’s full potential. I’ve tried the Medtronic sensor that can adjust the insulin settings depending on my bloods but I didn’t like them at all. I ended up pricking more than I was previously- and it was constantly alarming.
Where can I find a manual? I’ve never been very good with testing or looking after my bloods but the libre has made me care a lot more and test more so I now know where I’m going wrong and I’m wanting to fix it. Thank you for all your information as well. Anything helps ☺️
Ah ok, hopefully having a manual https://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/download-library/minimed-670g-system will help you to start having a better life.
Dip into the bits you need to know about 1st IE., changing carb ratio and or basal.

Remember to always check your basal 1st and get that right. There is nothing worse than changing too many things and not knowing what worked.

Everyone has to start somewhere and this is your new beginning. Every small step is a step in the right direction.

People will be able to help a lot more if you also start a new thread in the pump forum so will see it easier.

Ah ok, hopefully having a manual https://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/download-library/minimed-670g-system will help you to start having a better life.
Dip into the bits you need to know about 1st IE., changing carb ratio and or basal.

Remember to always check your basal 1st and get that right. There is nothing worse than changing too many things and not knowing what worked.

Everyone has to start somewhere and this is your new beginning. Every small step is a step in the right direction.

People will be able to help a lot more if you also start a new thread in the pump forum so will see it easier.
Brilliant thank you again- I’ll start a forum and then hopefully I’ll get some more pointers. I know how to change it but I don’t know by how much or if I need to go up or down haha. You’ve all been so lovely and it’s nice to get info from people that know what it’s like.

Brilliant thank you again- I’ll start a forum and then hopefully I’ll get some more pointers. I know how to change it but I don’t know by how much or if I need to go up or down haha. You’ve all been so lovely and it’s nice to get info from people that know what it’s like.
If you have too low in a time slot then you need to reduce your basal if too high then increase it. A very small amount will make one heck of a difference. If not enough then lower or higher it a bit more a couple of days later.
The changes need to be made 2 hrs before the high or hypo.

Last edited:
If you have too low in a time slot then you need to reduce your basal if too high then increase it. A very small amount will make one heck of a difference. If not enough then lower or higher it a bit more a couple of days later.
The changes need to be made 2 hrs before the high or hypo.
I think some of my low bloods have been down to the heat, but I wouldn’t have known as I’ve NEVER tested my bloods this much. I would test 2 times a day max. I went through a phase where I didn’t bother. However now I’m keeping an eye and testing all the time so for the next few days I’m keeping an extra eye to see if it needs adjusting. Thank you again ☺️

Hello @Faith_exx ,
That is so much useful information. Thank you so much, helps me understand a lot more what my body is doing. Yes I take creon and have done since a baby. I’m definitely type 3c then, I don’t know why the hospital never corrected me and told me.
Type 3 is a relatively new descriptor and I can understand why you were discharged from hospital as Type 1 some 20 years ago. In some respects it is of little concern, T1 at least ensures that your medical records always show you as insulin dependent and you get medical support as if a T1 in accordance with the NICE Guidance Note 17, recently updated.

Regrettably T2 diabetics don't get such strong support, so better to be recognised as T1 than T2. The proportion of T3cs is, indeed, very small; less than 1% of all diabetics in UK, but it does seem to (gradually) becoming recognised a little more as a distinct Type and the significance is the other things that one's pancreas might provide. So apart from no (or minimal) insulin production and no digestive enzymes there is probably no glucagon - the hormone that should tell your liver to open the glucose store when your brain recognises that your BG is low (the brain can only communicate with your liver through the pancreas!); also no hormone somatostatin that plays a co-ordination role between insulin and glucose. You've been doing these tasks manually, ever since your pancreatectomy.

If you haven't come across it to date, there is a book called "Think Like a Pancreas" by the author Gary Scheiner. Although he is from the US he has made a lot of effort to provide European units as well as US units with virtually every numerical example he's provided. I've found it very helpful; Scheiner is himself T1 and the book is focused on insulin dependent diabetics.
I do always try to finger prick if I’m low- my libre is super accurate though every fifer prick test I’ve done has matched exactly what my sensor has said. Again thank you so much
Delighted your Libre serves you well and with accuracy. My body seems to rebel a bit against the sensor - but despite this I wouldn't choose to be without the extra overview that Libre 2 provides. I have my alarm set relatively high, close to the upper limit of 5.6; my D is categorised as brittle and I certainly can crash quickly if I'm not paying attention. So once the alarm sounds I look at the number and the trend arrow and get ready to scan more frequently if necessary. I now rarely get into hypo territory; by monitoring and responding with modest snacks, eg a 6 CHO gm biscuit, I seem to successfully head off hypos.

Hello @Faith_exx ,

Type 3 is a relatively new descriptor and I can understand why you were discharged from hospital as Type 1 some 20 years ago. In some respects it is of little concern, T1 at least ensures that your medical records always show you as insulin dependent and you get medical support as if a T1 in accordance with the NICE Guidance Note 17, recently updated.

Regrettably T2 diabetics don't get such strong support, so better to be recognised as T1 than T2. The proportion of T3cs is, indeed, very small; less than 1% of all diabetics in UK, but it does seem to (gradually) becoming recognised a little more as a distinct Type and the significance is the other things that one's pancreas might provide. So apart from no (or minimal) insulin production and no digestive enzymes there is probably no glucagon - the hormone that should tell your liver to open the glucose store when your brain recognises that your BG is low (the brain can only communicate with your liver through the pancreas!); also no hormone somatostatin that plays a co-ordination role between insulin and glucose. You've been doing these tasks manually, ever since your pancreatectomy.

If you haven't come across it to date, there is a book called "Think Like a Pancreas" by the author Gary Scheiner. Although he is from the US he has made a lot of effort to provide European units as well as US units with virtually every numerical example he's provided. I've found it very helpful; Scheiner is himself T1 and the book is focused on insulin dependent diabetics.

Delighted your Libre serves you well and with accuracy. My body seems to rebel a bit against the sensor - but despite this I wouldn't choose to be without the extra overview that Libre 2 provides. I have my alarm set relatively high, close to the upper limit of 5.6; my D is categorised as brittle and I certainly can crash quickly if I'm not paying attention. So once the alarm sounds I look at the number and the trend arrow and get ready to scan more frequently if necessary. I now rarely get into hypo territory; by monitoring and responding with modest snacks, eg a 6 CHO gm biscuit, I seem to successfully head off hypos.
Wow!! I’ve just learnt so much- I had no idea your brain couldn’t communicate with your liver without a pancreas! Thank you so much for all the info- it’s been really helpful. I’m pretty sure I have the book somewhere I started to read it but put it down and forgot to pick it back up so I’ll have to go give it a read. Yeh I seem to crash quickly too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back