Hyper.(what number)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I supusct the awser will be different from different people but what would you consider as actual hyper and not just a bit too high this is what I have set in the my suger app I believe most app on sensors(which I'm not using at moment) and others things define above 13.9 as verry high and above 10 as high. But I'm just corrious to see what people think will define a hyper

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220410-084945.png
    Screenshot_20220410-084945.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 10
I have mine set at 14.1 which is quite similar to yours

The my suger app won't actually let you set it above 13.9
I do treat 13.9 as hyper when doing a correction if it is rising quickly but otherwise I won’t correct until over 14.1

I correct if I’m over 11 with no bolus left on board, and I feel disappointed if I go higher than 13.9 because it shows up in the 'very high' section of the Libre stats.

Everyone’s circumstances are different.

For me personally, I regularly hit 14 almost everyday when I’m working Mon - Sat but I know after an hours graft that will drop right away.

If you was sat at a desk, or retired on the sofa then yes regular 14’s would be deemed high and corrections needed etc.

It is an interesting question that I hadn't really considered. I think there is no really clear definition of either hypo or hyper but hypo is a bit more pinned down.
Obviously the most common reference point at which we treat a hypo is 3.9, but then I think most people would take some carbs on board if they tested and were 4.2. Do you call it a hypo at the point you feel it and take action which might be in the low 4s or only when you dip below 4.
Recording wise it is the latter but surely if I feel like I am having a hypo and I check and I am 4.3 then is that not also a hypo because it is affecting my senses even though I am above 4? Another school of thought is that non diabetics drop below 4 occasionally but very rarely below 3.5 and I am sure that it was mentioned on my DAFNE course that a hypo is really below that number, but we treat above that to maintain our hypo awareness.

With HYPERS it is much more individual I think and I really look forward to reading other replies.
I think there is a difference between spikes from food which come back down quite quickly either through bolus insulin or exercise and a steady drift upwards that needs a correction but I would say that you probably don't want to be spiking above 15 regularly so maybe that would be my "definition" of Hyper, especially as that is the sort of level you would worry about ketones.
I am sure it is different for me though as I follow a low carb way of eating so my levels don't really "spike" much and I will correct in the 8s but I definitely wouldn't consider that a hyper. For me personally, probably 10 is my upper limit in line with the Libre guidance and I can usually feel it between 8 and 10 when I start to feel a bit sluggish and there is resistance to my movement (it is quite subtle like hypo symptoms in the low 4s but I can usually feel it and sometimes mistake it for a hypo), so I think personally 10 is what I consider a hyper for myself but I appreciate that it will not be the same for everyone.

When my daughter had the Combo pump we used to correct anything over 10, because we didn’t have sensors then and the blood tester was also the remote control for the pump so it was only a couple of button pushes extra to do a correction. These days we have Tandem pump with Dexcom and we allow a little more leeway otherwise we’d be stressing out about it all the time, Dexcom came preset with high alerts at 14 and we haven’t bothered to change them, although at a mealtime when my daughter enters her carbs if the BG is anywhere above the target of 5.5 it will add a correction automatically.

There are a couple of children at the school I work at who have Dexcoms, one of them must have her high alert set at about 11 or 12, the darn thing is usually going off all through lunch time but you know it’s because she’s just eaten and don’t have to panic about it. Which doesn’t make me want to set ours any lower!

I do correct over 10 if it's been 4 hours since having insulin but still probably but set the my suger to call higher then 13.9 a hyper.

In the my suger app I set my target as set the target as 4 to 10 above that below 13.9 it's gets recorded as orange colour(I will still correct for this if it's been 4 hours) I don't usually do any corrections before that 4 hours) and if it's above 13.9 it gets recorded as hyper) this colour is red.

Sounds very sensible @rayray119

So you’ll get a degree of notification for being above the ‘time in range’ recommendations (70% between 4 and 10), bit also get a different colour when levels need keeping a closer eye on 🙂

Sounds very sensible @rayray119

So you’ll get a degree of notification for being above the ‘time in range’ recommendations (70% between 4 and 10), bit also get a different colour when levels need keeping a closer eye on 🙂
Thinking that maybe I should have the lower target as a bit higher then 4 now though.

Well that can be a bit tricky if you are watching ‘time in range’ as it will be reduced by counting some readings as low that are above 4l

Having said that, personally I find it helpful to get earlier alerts!

Last edited:
Well that can be a bit tricky if you are watching ‘time in range’ as it will be reduced by counting some readings as low that are above 4l

Having said that, personally I find it helpful to get earlier alerts!
I also like earlier alerts, indeed they are essential for me. But since @rayray119 is currently not using Libre, she presumably has no means of getting alerts.

Or have I missed something?

I also like earlier alerts, indeed they are essential for me. But since @rayray119 is currently not using Libre, she presumably has no means of getting alerts.

No you haven't missed anything perherps I've confused some people again or unless he meant ealllier warning signs(I think my warning signs verry with how good they are).

Sorry! I think my reply was poorly phrased!

No you haven't missed anything perherps I've confused some people again or unless he meant ealllier warning signs(I think my warning signs verry with how good they are).
That's OK @rayray119, I didn't feel confused by your comments. It's one of the good (yet bad) things about this sort of dialogue. We can drift off topic, which is interesting yet sometimes confusing!

You started with what I think was a valid question : what number is officially considered hyper. Not surprisingly this drifted into what we see in apps that record our data, such as MySugar; those apps probably have default settings (and thus default colours) based upon what was Internationally agreed as 'time in range' - a relatively new agreement with the increased usage of CGMs and the relatively new understanding of what one's BG is doing in between a few finger pricks per day. All valid dialogue, in my opinion, but slightly drifting away from the core question!

Personally I think 4-10 and 14 are my relevant figures; round numbers, rather than 3.9 or 13.9. I do not seem to be aware of being hyper - I get no undue sensations or any feeling of something wrong when high (although I need to spend a penny more often when high); so my hyper "definition" is not very relevant to my medical future. I try to not stay high for long and its questionable whether I'll die of natural old age before a diabetes related ailment!

Another question would be what is too Manny would how many times is too many as this is what 90 day average says because I missed some logs due to having phone issues so I might not give the full picture also doesn't give the full picture because currently have no way of showing what's happened in between.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220410-235350.png
    Screenshot_20220410-235350.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 10
Another question would be what is too Manny would how many times is too many as this is what 90 day average says because I missed some logs due to having phone issues so I might not give the full picture also doesn't give the full picture because currently have no way of showing what's happened in between.

I don’t think there’s a hard and fast answer to that question - because however we are doing in terms of our diabetes management there always seems to be the opportunity to improve things…or for them to slip a bit.

So in a sense you can get into the mindset that however hard you try it’s never enough - or you can see the same situation as the opportunity to start where you are and to tweak things to try to make ongoing improvements.

There are guidelines about blood glucose management, and the sorts of target range that it is good to aim for, but it’s not really possible to do all of that all the time, so personally I think it’s better to focus on identifying patterns and seeing if I can work out a way to improve them (eg I might see that I am often shooting up after breakfast, or that breakfast was OK, but is now misbehaving… and try to adjust my approach to improve the outcomes).

Maybe see if you can spot any times / meals that are consistently giving you results above the range that you’d like to aim for, and then try to work out what might be causing those levels - adjusting doses, timing, or food choices?

I don’t think there’s a hard and fast answer to that question - because however we are doing in terms of our diabetes management there always seems to be the opportunity to improve things…or for them to slip a bit.

So in a sense you can get into the mindset that however hard you try it’s never enough - or you can see the same situation as the opportunity to start where you are and to tweak things to try to make ongoing improvements.

There are guidelines about blood glucose management, and the sorts of target range that it is good to aim for, but it’s not really possible to do all of that all the time, so personally I think it’s better to focus on identifying patterns and seeing if I can work out a way to improve them (eg I might see that I am often shooting up after breakfast, or that breakfast was OK, but is now misbehaving… and try to adjust my approach to improve the outcomes).

Maybe see if you can spot any times / meals that are consistently giving you results above the range that you’d like to aim for, and then try to work out what might be causing those levels - adjusting doses, timing, or food choices?
yeahh i'll get some background test down after the Easter the week(i;m going aaway next week for a few doing them this week isn;'t going isnt going to give me a proper awnser. and if i get moaned at just say i was trying to comfrim weather something needed to change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back