HumaPen Savvio concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin Mini

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was prescribed a HumaPen Savvio three years ago and have had a few high readings but on Sunday last big problem.

At lunchtime I tested with my FreeStyle Optium Neo and a reading of 6 was given. Calculated my lunch and injected 6 insulin units but it was injected rather quicker than usual.
At dinner time my reading was 20.5!! so calculate the meal plus 5 units extra, inject again rather quicker again.
At bedtime 22.5!! reading. Swapped to my spare FreeStyle Neo reading was 21.5. Calculated my extra units and injected with my Lilly Luxura plus my usual Lantis, went to bed and morning reading 6.5.
Since then have been using my Lilly Luxura and all OK. This was reason for my post on pens with memories.
Anyone using a HumaPen Savvio had any concerns like mine? Photo is of the Savvio causing my concerns.

Attachments

• IMG_1947.jpeg
    IMG_1947.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 11
1. Fill in and submit a MHRA Yellow Card report on this failure
2. Contact whoever you got it from and ask for a replacement - cos like you, I wouldn't trust it, judging by your BG tests.

I was prescribed a HumaPen Savvio three years ago and have had a few high readings but on Sunday last big problem.

At lunchtime I tested with my FreeStyle Optium Neo and a reading of 6 was given. Calculated my lunch and injected 6 insulin units but it was injected rather quicker than usual.
At dinner time my reading was 20.5!! so calculate the meal plus 5 units extra, inject again rather quicker again.
At bedtime 22.5!! reading. Swapped to my spare FreeStyle Neo reading was 21.5. Calculated my extra units and injected with my Lilly Luxura plus my usual Lantis, went to bed and morning reading 6.5.
Since then have been using my Lilly Luxura and all OK. This was reason for my post on pens with memories.
Anyone using a HumaPen Savvio had any concerns like mine? Photo is of the Savvio causing my concerns.
They don't make them like they used to. My old luxuria pen lasted 10 years. My savvio pens last about 6 months. They just get stuck.

Yes, the Savvio isn’t as good as the Luxura. The injection mechanism is a bit…can’t think of the word…..floppy? I liked the clicks of the Luxura. Do report the pen and I’d also email Lilly or better still tweet them. IMO, they should dump the Savvio and bring back the Luxura including the Luxura HD.

Sorry to hear this @Austin Mini :(

Do I remember there was a way of squirting 20u from a pen into the needle cap (or outer??) which it should completely fill... or something???

But yes - in your shoes I would not feel confident using that pen again :(

I liked the clicks of the Luxura.
Yes, I missed the clicks when I moved to reusable (Novo Nordisk) pens, but as I understand it their newer disposable pens have lost the clicks too. (They still click when you're dialing the dose, but the older ones also clicked as you injected.) I presume there's some mechanical reason that causes that to be less attractive.

ISTR it was 3u to fill the inner cap that only covers the needle itself, and 20u in the outer cap that you leave on when you're screwing a new needle onto a pen - the outer cover you can remove soon, but the much smaller inner one only ever immediately before you inject yourself, to first do the 2u airshot and then your jab.

Yes, I missed the clicks when I moved to reusable (Novo Nordisk) pens, but as I understand it their newer disposable pens have lost the clicks too. (They still click when you're dialing the dose, but the older ones also clicked as you injected.) I presume there's some mechanical reason that causes that to be less attractive.

Yes, it’s the clicks when injecting that I miss. I always used to count those as a kind of reassurance (and on a few occasions, it drew my attention to the fact I’d gone onto auto-pilot and dialled the wrong dose). It just feels completely wrong to inject without them.

The Luxura is a fabulous, durable reuseable pen - so, of course, Lilly thought it was a great idea to discontinue it 🙄 I’d be tempted to use syringes if I could get appropriately marked ones. At least you can see you’ve got the right dose then.

Thank you for your comments. I will mention this to my DSN also. Yes, I will email the manufacturers. My two ten year old Luxura pens are in good condition as I mostly only used one when I was changed to Lantis from Humulin I.

Last edited:
1. Fill in and submit a MHRA Yellow Card report on this failure
2. Contact whoever you got it from and ask for a replacement - cos like you, I wouldn't trust it, judging by your BG tests.
Thank you TW, I have Googled and found the link. I shall submit my report later this mornin.

Thank you for your comments. I will mention this to my DSN also. Yes, I will email the manufacturers. My two ten year old Luxura pens are in good condition as I mostly only used one when I was changed to Lantis from Humolog.
?? I’m confused - Lantus is a basal insulin, Humalog a bolus insulin. You wouldn’t normally change from one to the other.

So what insulins are you actually using currently?

?? I’m confused - Lantus is a basal insulin, Humalog a bolus insulin. You wouldn’t normally change from one to the other.

So what insulins are you actually using currently?
I use Humalog for mealtimes and Lantus for bedtime.

I use Humalog for mealtimes and Lantus for bedtime.
Ah - same as me until 18 months ago when I changed Lantus for Levemir. It never occurred to me to put Lantus cartridges in the Luxura pen! (because I use both for Humalog - one at home and one I carry about with me). I had an Allstar Pro pen but I was never very impressed.

I was given a Savvio by a new DSN when we moved house - she gazed in fascinated horror at the two Autopens I'd been using like forever and said something more modern might help the problems I was having at the time. I was no more impressed by the Savvio and it is now my "spare spare"!

Anyway, I hope you get a more helpful outcome from your correspondence with Lilly and the yellow card system.

Wishing you well

I don't think you'll get one from the yellow card system. My understanding is it's more a thing for reporting and then the regulator looks for unexpected patterns of things to investigate.
Yes agreed but this has to be reported as TW suggested. My son is also having miss injections with his HumaPen Savvio too so he tells me.

Well they might Austin ........... just don't hold your breath waiting though!

I complained to Lilly and got a response within 48 hours. They just suggested disposable pens (because they do half units) but the more emails they get telling them the Savvio is poor, the more likely they are to ditch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back