How will having diabetes be different in 10 years time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better training for all medics about all types of diabetes, so people aren't mis diagnosed because of their age etc, or as I read somewhere a long standing T1 being told by a medic that now they were 40 they were T2 .

To stop preventing T2 from testing and to stop rationing of such equipment for anyone with Diabetes.
Educate the public, so they are not shocked and think the worst, if they accidentally see us injecting ourselves.

And basically what Everyone else has said.
We don't want much do we :D

My fear is no NHS and struggling to finance the meds I need.

My hope is technology continues to improve and this makes day to day living easier for all.

My other hope is a cure but think that's more a pipe dream

I'm sure there will be more people with types 1 and 2 diabetes in 10 years time, for different reasons. There's not enough knowledge at present to prevent people developing type 1diabetes (at any age). However, we do know that genetics predisposes a person to getting type 2 diabetes, but that things like keeping active, not getting overweight, limiting carbohydrate /calories in diet can all lessen chances, or postpone onset, so we need to get those messages better known. I intend to continue with things in my job, that promote physical activity, like walking or cycling instead of motorised transport, introducing orienteering, geocaching, conservation tasks, and providing lower calorie / carb food options etc.
I'm also worried about the costs (both financial and environmental) of diabetes medications, blood testing strips and treating complications. So, as long as cheap old insulins work for me, I refuse to "upgrade" to more expensive new insulins in disposable pens. If people NEED other items, then, of course they should have them, but I don't think that the newest / most expensive item should be prescribed before cheaper ones have been tried.
I'm still hoping to end my life without type 1 diabetes, after a normal lifespan, which is much more than 10 years from now!

Hopefully advances in technology help people manage the D and more options for treatment.
I worry about the NHS too and if it will even exist in 10 years, if we move to an American model of healthcare then I'm done for :(

There will be easier ways of keeping track of BG levels through technological advances. Hopefully other causes of T2 and perhaps types of diabetes will be recognised more and medical staff and maybe the public will not always assume that T2 diabetics are just fat, lazy people who have brought their condition on themselves. Unfortunately I don't think that there is really the will to find a cure because this is a lucrative condition for the pharmaceutical industry. For me I would guess that I will be on medication if I am still alive, but I have had good years without 🙂

in 10 years time ill have more fat rolls to inject into
You mean we'll be injecting insulin into our food not our bodies?! (rolls, ha ha...no, not funny?🙄).

Can you imagine being T1 since being 3 ? I do not shout about it but when I was a kid I did not think I would live long enough to be 50. I never sit still long & live every day in the best way I can. Thank you to some hard work & the Fantastic NHS. 🙂

Worst case scenario - the Tories will have succeeded in destroying the NHS. Anyone who wants affordable health care will have to have insurance. Insurance companies will not insure people with pre-existing conditions (or will not insure people for anything related to pre-existing conditions) so diabetics will not be able to get insurance, which means we will not be able to get health care unless we pay. All our meds, from insulin and needles, to lancets and test strips, to metformin and gliclazide, will cost us the full price. Diabetics who can't afford to pay will die. The media will not care because, after all, it's our own fault we're diabetic, isn't it? (that is, apart from the occasional story about a very sick type 1 child which will be blazoned over the tabloids and then forgotten within a week). Because the media don't care, the general public won't care either. And meanwhile, more and more people will eat cheap stodgy carbs because they are unable to afford healthy food and will develop type 2 ...

Best case scenario - technology will have advanced far more rapidly than we can now imagine. Integrated Pumps and CGMs will become affordable, and will therefore become the normal treatment for anyone who's insulin-dependant. They will be miniaturised, so they can be inserted (perhaps even injected) into our bodies and forgotten about. Having an artificial pancreas will become commonplace. The idea that anyone ever did anything so crude as to inject themselves with whole insulin units will be as shocking as some of the older diabetes treatments are to us today. Meanwhile the current popular interest in healthy eating will progress - instead of briefly following one trendy Youtube fad after another people will become informed about good long-term diets. As a result fewer and fewer people will develop type 2 ...

I suspect in reality it will be bits of both, though probably tending towards the bleaker side of things - but with unexpected technological developments no-one has thought of yet. I somehow doubt type 1 will be cured, but I think it might be better managed. However, it's entirely possible there will be a 2-tier medical system and it will only be better managed for those rich enough to afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back