How often do you slip back to the chippy , chinese , reach for a bag of crisps or chocolate ?

Reading this and thinking that I seem to be denying myself!!!!!! Don't have cake and coffee out, too mean to spend the pennies, have not bought crisps since February, although it was usually baked ones and when the bag was done it was done. We never have Chinese curry, dont buy chocolate, sweets, have had the occasional curry ,although I like the veggie ones. Maybe I need to rethink!!!!!!

Never any more. I had the experience of restarting a choc square or two and a daily pear in Sept 23 (plus the daily porage with special bread - not together!) and then in Jan my HbA1c went from a normal 55 or so to a bonkers 96 ! So back to Gliclazide plus (new) Metformin. So none, zippo, de nada et since.

Hindsight tells me it was probably the porage and the bread wot dun it, but didn't trip the warning.

Last edited:
Chippy - only if we're at the seaside
Crisps - never
Chinese - never
Chocolate - extra dark (70+) but in moderation
Martin I nominate you on the site as "Saint of the decade" LoL I totally applaud you, but I find it so hard not to have the odd chippy or Chinese but only do so once in a while. Chocolate is not a miss for me as I have never liked chocolate so no reason to miss it, or give it another thought. My weakness once again but just now and then is cheesecake but it has to b a very good cheesecake, and not the supermarket variety.

I don't understand people avoiding Chinese and Indian foods, selecting the correct dishes can be very low carb! I usually ask for stir fried bean sprouts instead of the rice and use cauliflower rice or 6g carb wraps with Indian foods, in fact the Indian foods I select are so low it allows me to have a small beer and 2 or 3 popadoms! Do not be tempted to have even a nibble of a nan bread!
With respect to crisps, chocolate etc etc I just don't eat them, or if offered have a very tiny portion!

I don't understand people avoiding Chinese and Indian foods, selecting the correct dishes can be very low carb!

I get your point but for me, the rice was the best bit of a Chinese!! As for curry, it was always a biryani for me, so again, tonnes of rice.

To be fair though, I also don't miss all the MSG that comes along with most Chinese and Indian takeaways. Sometimes with Chinese, I used to get an MSG hangover :(

I was saying to my friend last night - I haven't had a McDonalds for over 18 months. Now I DO miss those!!

I haven't had a McDonalds for over 18 months. Now I DO miss those!!
Me too, but I haven't had one for even longer - not since diagnosis, in fact. These days, if we're travelling and stop at a services that has a KFC I'll go there, but I always pick their original salad box.

I get your point but for me, the rice was the best bit of a Chinese!! As for curry, it was always a biryani for me, so again, tonnes of rice.

To be fair though, I also don't miss all the MSG that comes along with most Chinese and Indian takeaways. Sometimes with Chinese, I used to get an MSG hangover :(

I was saying to my friend last night - I haven't had a McDonalds for over 18 months. Now I DO miss those!!
Isn't it funny how we are all different!

You would have to twist my arm really hard to make me eat a McDonalds, especially the fries and the naff white burger bun..... why can't these places offer wholemeal buns as an option? I have in the past been known to eat the odd Burger King Whopper (same issue with burger bun but I like the pickled gherkins) but never a meal because the fries are such a disappointment compared to real chips I just can't be tempted to eat them and to be honest, these days, real chips are often a bit of a disappointment too on those odd occasion I have them.
Rice was always the boring bit about an Indian or Chinese meal for me and I much preferred a naan or noodles, neither of which I eat now or crave, but as a result of changing to low carb I have discovered that I absolutely love the vegetable side dishes at the Indian takeaway or restaurant although it irks me when they sometimes include potato (cheap filler) in something which should not contain potato, especially when I don't realise until I get home and open it up to eat. 😡

Msg in curry Deb? Is msg bad for diabetics? I do know it can effect some people though, my sister avoids it, need to do some research on that! Yes I miss rice, try not to get too depressed about it.....sigh.

Having only visited place couple of weeks back whilst away for few days have to say Popeyes takes some beating, much tastier than McDonald's Burger King KFC, we got burger meal each which was fried chicken in roll, chicken fillet was huge, then fries & refillable diet cokes. Fries have some kind of coating on them & are delicious where other fries from other establishments can be tasteless.

Will be looking out for another Popeyes next time we're away.

Msg in curry Deb? Is msg bad for diabetics? I do know it can effect some people though, my sister avoids it, need to do some research on that! Yes I miss rice, try not to get too depressed about it.....sigh.
I'm not sure that MSG is particularly bad for diabetics. It's just bad in general - it makes me feel terrible 😱

Martin I nominate you on the site as "Saint of the decade" LoL I totally applaud you, but I find it so hard not to have the odd chippy or Chinese but only do so once in a while. Chocolate is not a miss for me as I have never liked chocolate so no reason to miss it, or give it another thought. My weakness once again but just now and then is cheesecake but it has to b a very good cheesecake, and not the supermarket variety.
Thank you, but I'm afraid I'm not quite as saintly as it might appear from my answers to the question that was asked, correct though those answers are. My halo can sometimes look decidedly second hand.

Me too, but I haven't had one for even longer - not since diagnosis, in fact. These days, if we're travelling and stop at a services that has a KFC I'll go there, but I always pick their original salad box.

More than 30 years since I had one. So, 24 years pre D diagnosis.

Fish & Chips...once in a while.

Chinese....not had one in donkeys years.

Crisps..I haven't had a bag of crisps in a long time.

Cake...I haven't had a slice of cake for a long time.

Ice cream...I will treat myself to a white chocolate Magnum once in a blue moon...they are so yummy.

And

Chocolate ....Only the high quality ones (over 70% chocolate)and only in moderation.

Chocolate, yes, but high cocoa and one square.
Curry yes, but made at home and served with cauliflower rather than rice.
Ice cream yes - but real ice cream, made with eggs and cream like grandma used to make.
baked goods - not for a while now, but made with low carb ingredients after some experimentation to get them right.

Back