How often do you eat Chocolate Cake/chocolate/Cookies/Baked Goods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virtually never despite the yearning, so much am I in love with my Excel spreadsheet graphs, plotting my state of health week after week after week after week after … this is what Professor Taylor tells me to do, and I must obey.

I used to eat a pear&bran muffin every few months but that was the last remnant of that kind of thing for me & I lost my taste even for them a while back.

Nothing compares to almonds 🙂
Ok, I agree with almond thing. Walnuts coming a very close second.

Have chocolate biscuits most days after evening meal with mug of tea, always 2 finger kit kat & start by nibbling choc off ends then sides then finally top layer.

Baked goods, don't avoid them & don't eat them everyday but do like a good butchers shop pie or sausage roll from Greggs, often when out & about get sandwich deal from supermarkets, like those southern fried chicken wraps as a change from sandwich.

Cake, don't mind cake & will have one occasionally with my wife when visiting garden centres, on hols we like to pop into local M & S to have coffee & fruit scone with butter jam clotted cream, delicious combination.

So maybe not best example on how to eat but do eat healthy meals otherwise & exercise everyday so it works for me.

Virtually never despite the yearning, so much am I in love with my Excel spreadsheet graphs, plotting my state of health week after week after week after week after … this is what Professor Taylor tells me to do, and I must obey.
I did that, and before too long the yearning went away.

I think I got lucky.

I forgot to mention, baking my own cakes, etc. allows me to adapt recipes. I don't go overboard but always use less sugar than recipes suggest to the extent that shop.bought cakes and.biscuits taste far too sweet. Whilst this does not have a big impact on the carb total, it means you.can taste the flavour beyond "sweet".
My Mum makes jam (which goes very well with my scones) and it tastes of fruit. I am not sure why the shop bought stuff hides this amazing flavour.

Good point @helli I cut sugar too. Even in a sponge cake, I can make a reduction.

The differing answers here shouldn’t cause anyone concern as it depends on the type of diabetes you have, whether you’re on insulin, whether you’re overweight, etc etc. People are individuals.

Interesting question this as I've been thinking recently that my intake of sugar is probably higher than if I wasn't a diabetic...the constant jelly babies, a flapjack with lunch as otherwise I'll feel hungry again in a couple of hours, something to top up when I've cocked up my ratios at night.

My job is quite erratic energy wise as sometimes I'm sat doing nothing and then suddenly find the individual I support wants to walk into town usually at a frantic pace that I can't keep up with and need to have something to deal with that.

I pondered this when a dentist once said well you're obviously not eating sugar as you're a diabetic. I thought you stick to teeth mate.

I forgot to mention, baking my own cakes, etc. allows me to adapt recipes. I don't go overboard but always use less sugar than recipes suggest to the extent that shop.bought cakes and.biscuits taste far too sweet. Whilst this does not have a big impact on the carb total, it means you.can taste the flavour beyond "sweet".
My Mum makes jam (which goes very well with my scones) and it tastes of fruit. I am not sure why the shop bought stuff hides this amazing flavour.
Fruit is expensive in comparison to the other sweetening ingredients they put in...?

Interesting question this as I've been thinking recently that my intake of sugar is probably higher than if I wasn't a diabetic
Same here, I ate very little sugar before I was diabetic, except for the sugars in fruit - now it's fruit juice/sugar/glucose and biscuits every day to manage my diabetes!

Interesting that some people think of "baked goods" as things like pies and sausage rolls while others (like me) think of them as things like brownies and flapjacks. It would never have occured to me to think of things like pies in response to this thread because I don't eat anything like that, so I just assumed the thread was all about sweet stuff.

I have a sweet tooth in that I prefer sweet food to savoury food - in fact I don't think there's any savoury food I wouldn't happily give up and have my nutrients in pill form if that were an option! But like many others here I find shop-bought sweet stuff far too sweet. I'm the person who, when presented with a desert trolley at a hotel, would always chose the fruit salad, not to be healthy or diet (I've always been slim, I don't seem to put on weight no matter what I eat) but just because I think it tastes the best.

When I want to is the answer, since I usually always have any insulin required immediately available and easily/quickly administered.

NB need and/or require are very different considerations from want.

90% chocolate on a daily basis (no emulsifiers at this % as well)
Biscuits as a preemptive strike against hypos i.e. the libre graph is heading south especially when being active
Cake - extremely rare and would have to dose extra
Baked goods at mealtimes only - croissants for breakfast occasionally and pasties for lunch fairly regularly

Well, tempted by reading this thread, I made a low carb chocolate/coconut/rum and raisin microwave mug cake yesterday and it is lasting me 3 days. To be honest I am not using it as a cake (bit dry and boring without icing, but making it into a gooey pudding by chopping it up and mixing it into a spoon of creamy Greek yoghurt to make a sort of mousse which works really well. Granted I need a bit of insulin for it (1.5u) mostly for the raisins.... which were bought before my diagnosis and definitely getting "long in the tooth" after nearly 5 years in the cupboard, so needing using up but they are a treat on my taste buds! Going to go burn it off now with a trek up the hill.
Anyway, it looks like I am having a homemade chocolatey treat 3 days in a row this week!

In contrast. It’s another injection for me.

Have it for dessert and it’s not. I have a nice Toblerone cheesecake recipe which is surprisingly low in carbs. Fair bit of fat, but with a thinnish base it’s not high carb and also not high GI. I can have it after a reasonable carby main meal and still stay in range.

I was told to avoid chocolate and biscuits at diagnosis too, but that was a different era then, with twice-daily insulin. Things are more flexible now.

Just as a Ryder to my previous post I've just remembered my downfall - profiteroles with chocolate sauce,
ice cream AND fresh cream, love them and if they are on the menu when we are away, as the saying goes
"I can eat them until the cows come home"... :D

Have it for dessert and it’s not. I have a nice Toblerone cheesecake recipe which is surprisingly low in carbs. Fair bit of fat, but with a thinnish base it’s not high carb and also not high GI. I can have it after a reasonable carby main meal and still stay in range.

I was told to avoid chocolate and biscuits at diagnosis too, but that was a different era then, with twice-daily insulin. Things are more flexible now.
What is your current insulin regime? And how long have you be using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back