How much insulin per day? What should HbA1c be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
. And still nobody can tell me how to manage BG spike after a 24 minute Parkrun.
Do you stay high after this or does it come down on its own afterwards.

Not really. Rather counterintuitively I need more insulin and fewer carbs for a quick Parkrun. I don't eat before running but have my usual basal insulin and usually 1 unit of quick acting. I like my BG to be less than 5 when I start. At the end of Parkrun BG goes up to 12 or so. Too high for me as it makes me nauseous. I know stress hormones play their part. I also have quite a marked cortisol effect.

Not really. Rather counterintuitively I need more insulin and fewer carbs for a quick Parkrun. I don't eat before running but have my usual basal insulin and usually 1 unit of quick acting. I like my BG to be less than 5 when I start. At the end of Parkrun BG goes up to 12 or so. Too high for me as it makes me nauseous. I know stress hormones play their part. I also have quite a marked cortisol effect.
If that was me and it was staying high I would just correct later on.

Also Remember even non diabetics will go up and down throughout the day. CGMs are great(and now I've got my dexcom one I wouldn't want to be without it) but they can sometimes make you worry about things that are nothing to. Worry about

Thanks for that! I think I will just have to put up with the spike in BG.

Thanks for that! I think I will just have to put up with the spike in BG.
I ride a horse, and I never know whether my BG is going to go up or down, before I set out. A nice steady hack with a lot of steady trotting, that uses my energy bit by bit, will lower my glucose level; an incident packed ride, with flappy plastic, or deer, or something else that spooks the horses, or if I decide to jump, my BG goes up! I just react afterwards to whichever way it’s gone, and take insulin or jelly babies as needed.

Thanks for that. Perhaps I'm trying too hard at Parkrun! It's the competitive spirit.

I indoor “rock” climb and always find my BG rises when I climb, I put it down to a combination of adrenaline and stop/start exercise causing my liver to keep dumping glucose.
When using injections, I would start my climbing with a “correction bolus” which, under normal circumstances, would reduce my BG to 3 but I know the liver dump will counteract this.
I chose not to “live with it” because the rise (not a “spike” because he does not come down without insulin), affects my ability to climb. With more insulin, I can climb harder routes for longer.
As others have said, if it is reproducible, you can do some trial and learning to see what works for your body.

That was very helpful. Others obviously have similar experiences to mine. I have to start even lower, perhaps, than 5. Makes driving slightly more difficult. Perhaps a slower and longer warm up. Longer warm down and a bit of a wait until I correct and/ or eat.

A strange day today. A proper hypo this morning (I actually ate a cake!). No running. But it looks like I'll have a total of 17 units of insulin for the entire day. BG no higher than 6.5. I don't do low carb. How has that happened? Strange condition!

I find absorption can make a difference @JonathanGi Some cannula sites (I’m on a pump) allow me to coast along all day and night in the 5s and 6s despite eating extra carbs and treat items and with no effort from myself, yet other sites seem to work less well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back