How many types are there???

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a condition called diabetes insipidus - which presents with frequent urination and thirst but which has nothing to do with the diabetes we all have.

I knew one person who had this condition which was developed as a side effect of another condition

Be wary of drowning them in information though, Emzi, or none of it may sink in. That's the big difficulty with getting the message across.

I know ive kept my presentation simple but imformative, the only reason im asking is i was going to do a 'what do you know' quiz at the beginning with a few questions and myths to see what people do know and 1 of the questions was going to be - how many types of diabetes is there . . . not sure if its a good question now :D

I know ive kept my presentation simple but imformative, the only reason im asking is i was going to do a 'what do you know' quiz at the beginning with a few questions and myths to see what people do know and 1 of the questions was going to be - how many types of diabetes is there . . . not sure if its a good question now :D

Great idea! Probably need questions with definite answers though, as you say! 🙂

well i am a pacreatic diabetic as due to illness i losted over half my pancreas :(

How many types are there? lots and not always easily differentiated. Formal answer here and far too detailed for most audiences😱

These are the types from the World Health Organisation Classification 1999http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/1999/WHO_NCD_NCS_99.2.pdf
I think this is accepted world wide (though I doubt if many GPs and Nurses know the details :
1)aType 1 a autoimmune
b] Type I b idiopathic (ie of unknown origin)
11)Type 2 (may range from predominantly insulin resistance with relative insulin deficiency to a predominantly secretory defect with insulin resistance)
111)Other (sometimes called Type 3 .......when published in Diabetes Care for the American Diabetes association they used letters for each subtype, so for example someone who has had a pancreactectomy is sometimes know as having type 3c)
I've only given examples I recognise...some are very rare/little known. There are far more examples in the original text)

a)Genetic defects of beta cell function (ie MODY)
b)Genetci defects of insulin action (eg leprechaunism)
c)Diseases of and trauma to the pancreas (eg pancreatitis, pancreatectomy, cystic fibrosis,haemochomatosis[bronze diabetes]
d)Endocrinopathies (eg Cushings, hypothyroidism,)
e)Drug or Chemical induced (eg glucocorticoids..and several others)
f)Infections (eg congenital rubella)
g)Uncommon forms of immune-mediated diabetes (eg anti-bodies to insulin, stiff man syndrome)
h)Other Genetic syndromes(Downs, Wolframs, Prader Willi,Huntingdons..several others)
(hope I've spelled all those right!)
The last category )
1V) Gestational

Then there are reports that claim Alzheimers is type 3, diabetes communities who write about 1.5 and the odd article about 'double diabetes' ...type 1 with insulin resistance
.No wonder, we are all different and react differently to different diets and
medications.
I think hyperglycaemia is a sympton... not a disease.

Last edited:
There's really something called a leprechaun? 😱:confused:😎
The Pc term is Donohue syndrome so perhaps I should have used that but WHO doc is un PC and I cut and pasted.
Quote from Wiki
"...is an extremely rare and severe genetic disorder. Leprechaunism derives its name from the fact that those afflicted with the disease often have elfin features and are smaller than usual. Affected individuals have an insulin receptor with greatly impaired functionality."
Sadly sufferers don't often live very long. Its very much a gluose level problem though.

The Pc term is Donohue syndrome so perhaps I should have used that but WHO doc is un PC and I cut and pasted.
Quote from Wiki
"...is an extremely rare and severe genetic disorder. Leprechaunism derives its name from the fact that those afflicted with the disease often have elfin features and are smaller than usual. Affected individuals have an insulin receptor with greatly impaired functionality."
Sadly sufferers don't often live very long. Its very much a gluose level problem though.

Ah yes, I once saw a documentary about it - rings a bell now you describe it.

Why aren't you blogging any more? I really enjoyed it! 🙂

I changed my question to :- is there more than one type of diabetes , yes or no :D think im safer with that answer 😉

Sounds very sensible - good luck with the presentation! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back