How many Diabetics in your family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiVZ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

Just wondered if any of you would care to share how many people in your family, including yourself, have diabetes and what type?

For me it's 5 people, all cousins on my mothers side with Type 1, which I thought was quite a lot!

Thanks,

NiVZ

Just me and my 2 cousins with type 1, my grandad has type 2.

Fingers and toes crossed no one else gets it.

Just myself.
But my grandma had type 2 late on in life before she died.

Including me there are three that I know about, all type 2. My mothers brother and my father.

I made sure my brother is aware of it so that he can (if he wants to ) keep an eye on things, and I keep an eye on my grown up son.

You have raised a good point there. As far as I am aware there is just my Dad who is type 2 and has had it for many years and now me who has been diagnosed around 8 months.

I will have to ask next time I speak to them to confirm this but I havent heared about anyone else in my famly.

Thanks 🙂

Around 15 members I think, but it's growing all the time.

Me, my brother, my mum, my grandad (before he died), then there was my grandads brother and sister and their relatives that I'm not in contact with.

We are a MODY family though

In my family is it only my uncle he has been t1 for 15 years

Thank you all for replying. This is very interesting.

@Sofaraway - Thats a LOT of diabetics. I hadn't heard of MODY and just looked it up (Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young).

This is quite interesting, as there are 3 boys in my family who were all diagnosed around 18, but the 2 girls have had it since birth.

I've always been worried about passing it onto my daughter, but so far she has been fine (touches wood).

NiVZ

Last edited:
When I traced my birth family I discovered I was the eldest of 10!!! 6 boys 4 girls. All the girls and birth mother all diabetic (mother type 1 the rest type 2) Since then 1 brother has died (stroke) and 4 others diagnosed diabetic! I think there could be an hereditary factor!!! Also a number of deceased family members (all female) were diabetic.

Just my daughter has type 1, but her paternal nan and uncle have type 2. Also there is underactive thyroid in my husband, his dad and aunt. His other brother has rheumatoid arthritis. So the autoimmune is strong on my husband's side.

My husband is one of 6 and R has 10 cousins so far. R is the only one with an autoimmune but i'm betting (hoping i'm wrong) but with the strong link more of her cousins will have an autoimmune.

None.

I have one non-blood related step nephew with type 1 though 😉

Both my Mum, her mum and her mum's mum are all T2. Mum also has high BP and cholesterol - I got the BP side and sister got the cholesterol. Since I got the daibetes too both sis and bro are on the lookout!

As far as I know my granddad on my dad's side is a type two and I'm a type one. I presume that there might have been type ones on my dad's side of the family in the pre insulin days.

Hi..

As far as I know just Nathan type 1, although his paternal grandfather has recently been diagnosed as type 2

Heidi
🙂

well there's me (T1) and an uncle & gran both T2.

Actually last time I spoke to my Gran she wreckoned a lot of her brothers had it, but no one else is sure! So who knows!

Last edited:
Just my daughter has type 1, but her paternal nan and uncle have type 2. Also there is underactive thyroid in my husband, his dad and aunt. His other brother has rheumatoid arthritis. So the autoimmune is strong on my husband's side.

My husband is one of 6 and R has 10 cousins so far. R is the only one with an autoimmune but i'm betting (hoping i'm wrong) but with the strong link more of her cousins will have an autoimmune.

I hadn't considerd autoimmne stuff, there is asthma in the family (my mum and a couple of neices) rheumatoid arthritis (my nan) hayfever (my father in law and a brother in law and me). My big boy is going to be knackerd by that lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back