How Many Blood Tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
It occurred to me that it might be interesting to know how many blood tests we all tend to do in a normal day so I thought I would attempt to set up a poll for this.

I thought we could try:

0 or 1
2 or 3
4 or 5
6 or 7
8 or more

Please let me know what you think about the idea/numbers suggested. 🙂

Also, if you think it is worth doing, how do I go about setting it up (I tried ticking the Set up a Poll box, but nothing obvious happened :() - or do I need an Admin person to do it? :confused:

Sounds interesting... Might be worth adding what method of control folk use as well as that can have a whopper of an impact. Especially during pump training. You may well have to add a 3 digit number to the poll! Heheh.

6 to 7 for me

best person to ask is northey or one of the mods MCH for advice on how to do the poll x

i know in the past i did a poll and did not need admin to do it for me but ive forgotten how to set it up

When you do a poll you just click on the 'poll' section underneath where you put your message and it will take you through the steps.

I dont mind taking part in this but from previous experience this subject seems to bring out the worst in people, who, for some reason, seem to think its a platform to tell others that they either test too much or too little.🙂Bev

I'm generally 2 or 3 times a day, if I feel off or suspect hypo more.

I must admit I probably should be 3 times each day.

1 before breakfast
1 before eve meal ready for Novorapid
1 bedtime when injecting levemir

About once or twice a week now if I remember.

Averaging about 7 times a day at the mo due to regime changes but wold otherwise be 4 or 5 times a day.

Using the Optium Xceed meter.

Rob

Just realised I didn't even answer the question...

About once or twice a week now if I remember.

This would have been far more than I did 8 or 9 months ago. After a few scares (including the thought of your sig) I'm on around 8-10 a day. Sometimes more. I'm also looking at starting a pump soon so might go up further. I pity my fingers!

Just realised I didn't even answer the question...

This would have been far more than I did 8 or 9 months ago. After a few scares (including the thought of your sig) I'm on around 8-10 a day. Sometimes more. I'm also looking at starting a pump soon so might go up further. I pity my fingers!

Testing is a fundamentally different issue for insulin and non-insulin users so I don't think it is helpful to compare them side-by-side. I'm stuck in a particular zone with BG levels which are borderline satisfactory. I am a non-insulin user who is never anywhere near a hypo so I just check it now and then to make sure the BG isn't creeping upwards again.

Testing is a fundamentally different issue for insulin and non-insulin users so I don't think it is helpful to compare them side-by-side.
Fair point. Two polls?!?🙄

8+++++++ , but i am still fairly new to pumping 😱 ive always over tested especially having hypo unawareness and working in a nursery , after DAFNE my DSN was trying to get me to cut down but now on pump she has given me 3 months grace :D

Problem is, there are sound medical reasons to test frequently, and some have to test more than others, but the GPs/DSNs only ever see it as a financial issue. If we didn't test, they'd be upset.

Very much a Goldilocks situation. Mustn't do too few or too much, but just right. Whatever that is. 🙄

Rob

Anything from 6-12 times a day due to constant high levels. When they settle down so will my testing

I started out testing up to 8 times a day while I learned which types of food do what to my numbers. Then it went down to about twice a day unless I was feeling rough. At the moment it's four times a day, on getting up, before dinner and a hour or so before bed. I do these last two because dinner's when I take the pills and I have to test before bed because if I'm less than 5 then I'll hypo in the night. I tend to test around 3pm as well, because I seem to flake out about then and my numbers are usually really high at that point. I only do that one for the sake of my spreadsheet so it reflects the real time information, I already know I'm high..

If as seems likely, I go on insulin once I've seen the consultant that will change the way I test... I assume. I've no idea at this stage what will be required.

On average I test 10-12 times a day - & this is a good day! 😱

Last edited:
Almost never less than 6 these days... Control's better for it though 🙂

Since I was diagnosed my meter tells me that I have tested an average of 6.4 times a day!

I always test before meals, sometimes a couple of hours after a meal, I test if I feel hypo and before I go to bed. On average four or five times a day.

8 plus times per day.

pumping, driving, exercising etc, would be impossible to be less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back