• Awful! Might as well treat myself!

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys, a few of us have been wondering what the level of diabetes care is like throughout the country, and so have come up with the idea of a poll!

Now, if I've done this right you should be able to pick your best option. And, if you woldn't mind leaving a comment too stating your reasons behind your choice, and whereabouts you are based?

Thanks guys :D

Hey guys, a few of us have been wondering what the level of diabetes care is like throughout the country, and so have come up with the idea of a poll!

Now, if I've done this right you should be able to pick your best option. And, if you woldn't mind leaving a comment too stating your reasons behind your choice, and whereabouts you are based?

Thanks guys :D

cool sam ...but cant see poll :confused:

i got rather confused trying to post it ha! Glad it works!

i got rather confused trying to post it ha! Glad it works!

what you need to find out sam is where is the best care...so maybe once poll finished see if you can find out where the happy punters are located xxx good luck sweetie xx

I've stickified (is that even a real word??) the thread for the time being for you.

I've voted I will go away and have a good think as to my reasons..

Hi Sam, I went fr the second option. I think that you would agree with me that the RSH DSNs are wonderful. I'd agree though, that the consultants I've seen haven't been particularly impressive. The DSN suggested that my HbA1c (5.6%) wouldn't necessarily be a bar to getting a pump but in the light of your experience I suspect that's not the case. I haven't asked the consultant about it yet, so can't comment further. My main reason would be because MDI isn't great for my running.

I was surprised that you have not been approved though, as your other post (and many of your posts on here) would certainly merit it. Good luck with everything - I'm sure John at Input will be able to help!🙂

Hi Sam, I went fr the second option. I think that you would agree with me that the RSH DSNs are wonderful. I'd agree though, that the consultants I've seen haven't been particularly impressive. The DSN suggested that my HbA1c (5.6%) wouldn't necessarily be a bar to getting a pump but in the light of your experience I suspect that's not the case. I haven't asked the consultant about it yet, so can't comment further. My main reason would be because MDI isn't great for my running.

I was surprised that you have not been approved though, as your other post (and many of your posts on here) would certainly merit it. Good luck with everything - I'm sure John at Input will be able to help!🙂

yeah i love the DSN's, but unfortunately the consultants i've seen and spoken to and whatnot have been bloody awful. The DSN I spoke to today bless her heart seemed really upset about what proff. holt said and reckons that my hba1c shouldn't be a barrier at all. Especiallyw ith the archaeology!!!

Ok,well after alot of thinking between bottom option and one above i thought i would be kind and go for need alot of improvement, At the start of my D i was treat rubbish left to my own devices till june but from there i think my GP and DSN have been ok, although i dont always agree with there choices sometimes money orientated I do feel more cared for then i did .

I came down firmly in the middle, I have some issues but I believe I'm getting them trained slowly, the nurses seem more informed than my doctor who only looks things up when I challenge her. My only real problem is persuading them of the value of testing, I don't see much hope of change there any time soon.

in the middle some inprovements and training need to be made
i am under north lanarkshire nhs

Ok, so obviously doing this for Rose would i do it or would you need one for paediatrics? Interestingly, if i did do it now, the local hospital (which we transferred from) is only 5 mins away but would label it either: awful or needs improvement. Rose's new hospital (45 mis away) would be on the whole not bad 🙂

On the plus side

Nurses Angela and Janet at my surgery are brilliant
There's a walk in clinic at the hospital on Tuesday mornings so i can alway ask any questions.
The diabetes team at the hospital also have a ansamachine and are happy for people to use it.
Easy access to DAPHNE and DESMOND courses

On the negative side

One box of bloody test strips a year?!!? Are you mad? How's that taking responsibility for my condition?😱
My GP is an idiot, and lacks communication skills
Dietary advice is non-exsistant, or virtually so.
I'd like a check up more than once a year thanks.

We are in Kent, and our local team fall under the 'needs improvement' vote! In many ways. However, our pump care and now annual review stuff is done through Addenbrookes - and they are very nearly utterly brilliant in our view. I've put on the whole not bad because they aren't perfect of course...mainly in that we've now reached the stage where we can consider and solve pump issues as well as or better than our team...but...actually, can you count me in both votes? We are so lucky to be part of them. They have transformed our diabetes care and confidence in that...

I put 'On the whole not bad'. My team seem very good but I dont get the most out of them. I think i'm at a disadvantage because i'm too quiet and don't chat to them enough. I personally think they should hound everyone more to make people look after their Diabetes better. And I think all Diabetic care places should give more appropriate dietry info rather than saying "you can eat anything" + encourage type 2s to do some testing (I have no idea if my hospital encourages this or not).

I get more information from here than I do from my doctor. I have seen the DSN once, she was doing something with my doctor. I have seen the podiatrist once and I had to do that myself. I had the education day when I was first diagnosed and that is it. If it was not for here, I think I'd be totally on my own.

Yeah caroline I wanted to vote for both really but i gave them benifit of the doubt, i think im abit like Katie tbh I could abit more regarding talking to them but i dont even have my DSNS number .

I'm also at Addenbrooke's in Cambridge, and I've ticked utterly brilliant, because they have completely changed my life with diabetes. They switched me from mixtard to MDI, they put me on a DAFNE course, and they're now giving me a pump. My HbA1c has come down from 9.1 to 7 while under their care. Like anywhere else it's not perfect, but any time I've had a problem they were always quick to help resolve it. 🙂

I think it's interesting how much diabetes care can vary though, even within areas. When I was in Glasgow, the childrens hospital was fantastic, but when I moved to the adult clinic at another hospital, their type one care was appalling (I have no idea if their type two care was any better). Yet I have a diabetic friend who is treated at another hospital and gets really good care. I find it shocking that standards can be so different! 😱 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back