How do I know I am in Remission

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of debate about the best way because everybody is different in how their body responds to carbohydrates and what suits one person may not be remotely suitable for others. The important thing is you find a dietary regime which you enjoy and you can sustain for the long term as it will feel just normal to be eating that way.
There may be things you miss at first but after a while you won't and probably wondered why you even liked them as you will find there are many things you actually prefer.
We found some crumpets in the freezer and for something full of holes they are surprisingly high carb but one third of a crumpet toasted with butter and marmite tasted like heaven.
You have done amazingly well with your weight loss and hopefully that is by eating foods you like. By testing the effect of foods and meals you can build up a good repertoire things which you are ok with so it will be less onerous on a day to day basis.
Many people settle on somewhere between 50 and 100g carbs per day as they find that is sustainable and keeps blood glucose levels where they need to be.

Another goody.
I tend to avoid white flour, but there are exceptions as you say.
Smothered in butter, and vintage cheddar cheese.

Warburtons-3-Giant-Crumpets-No-Flash-AW-768x697.jpg

There is a lot of debate about the best way because everybody is different in how their body responds to carbohydrates and what suits one person may not be remotely suitable for others. The important thing is you find a dietary regime which you enjoy and you can sustain for the long term as it will feel just normal to be eating that way.
There may be things you miss at first but after a while you won't and probably wondered why you even liked them as you will find there are many things you actually prefer.
We found some crumpets in the freezer and for something full of holes they are surprisingly high carb but one third of a crumpet toasted with butter and marmite tasted like heaven.
You have done amazingly well with your weight loss and hopefully that is by eating foods you like. By testing the effect of foods and meals you can build up a good repertoire things which you are ok with so it will be less onerous on a day to day basis.
Many people settle on somewhere between 50 and 100g carbs per day as they find that is sustainable and keeps blood glucose levels where they need to be.
I’ve really looked hard into the science behind the latest research and subsequent advice I don’t know if it makes a difference having a best friend who’s a doctor we’ve been best friends for 34 years so I’d happily trust him with my life. It really helps that Rupert, Michelle, and the gp all agree with prof Taylor’s research findings though not all agree with what approach to achieve it. I think I’m coming to terms with the fact I can never live the lifestyle and diet I did pre diagnosis but I’ve now come to realise it wasn’t living anyway I was just existing, it’s only been a few months but my quality of life is so much better, the ease at doing the most simple tasks like running for the bus when I’m late or up and down the stairs is remarkable I don’t think I realised how bad things were. I’ll always have to put some thought into what I’m going to have for meals but really that’s not a huge inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. The further I can push back the prospect of meds the happier I will feel, I’m not on anything now (apart from my anti depressants) and the longer that continues the better!

At 36g carbohydrate per crumpet I think Ill give them a miss, though. I don't even allow myself that many carbs for an entire meal.
There is no justice that something that is full of holes is so high carb. That must be a big crumpet, my Carbs and Cals say 17g for the normal size ones but still a lot hence I only had one third. (sad face emoji which I don't seem to be able to add to my posts)

There is no justice that something that is full of holes is so high carb. That must be a big crumpet, my Carbs and Cals say 17g for the normal size ones but still a lot hence I only had one third. (sad face emoji which I don't seem to be able to add to my posts)
:(
Old school
: (
with no space!

I’ve really looked hard into the science behind the latest research and subsequent advice I don’t know if it makes a difference having a best friend who’s a doctor we’ve been best friends for 34 years so I’d happily trust him with my life. It really helps that Rupert, Michelle, and the gp all agree with prof Taylor’s research findings though not all agree with what approach to achieve it. I think I’m coming to terms with the fact I can never live the lifestyle and diet I did pre diagnosis but I’ve now come to realise it wasn’t living anyway I was just existing, it’s only been a few months but my quality of life is so much better, the ease at doing the most simple tasks like running for the bus when I’m late or up and down the stairs is remarkable I don’t think I realised how bad things were. I’ll always have to put some thought into what I’m going to have for meals but really that’s not a huge inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. The further I can push back the prospect of meds the happier I will feel, I’m not on anything now (apart from my anti depressants) and the longer that continues the better!
Yep, I'd echo this - I too have soo much more energy now - I can't go back!

What counts more is that you're happy with your new lifestyle whatever choice that is

...I know I am! 😉

At 36g carbohydrate per crumpet I think Ill give them a miss, though. I don't even allow myself that many carbs for an entire meal.

To be fair, after one of them, butter, cheese, glass of red, that should be a meal for me nowadays!

Yep, I'd echo this - I too have soo much more energy now - I can't go back!

What counts more is that you're happy with your new lifestyle whatever choice that is

...I know I am! 😉
Don’t get me wrong I’m not going lie seeing crème eggs literally everywhere is making me very sad pre diagnosis I’d happily have sat and ate an entire box in one sitting that’s the rub I suppose

Don’t get me wrong I’m not going lie seeing crème eggs literally everywhere is making me very sad pre diagnosis I’d happily have sat and ate an entire box in one sitting that’s the rub I suppose
yea, me too! - roughly 180 Cals for one - that's the thing...I'd have been the same - a box of...3! makes it 540 Cals (and not a lot of nutrition either)...I can think of a whole load more decent food for that much! - 3 eggs would now make me sick, where-as a couple of poached eggs with smashed Avacado is much more fulfilling these days!

...One creme egg once in a while won't do any harm though...! :D

You might like (not anymore I hope) the Creme Egg tray bake that was in the COSTCO magazine. recipe: margarine , castor sugar, eggs, flour, icing sugar, 5 creme eggs, cocoa powder. I can't even imagine how sweet in would be.

You might like (not anymore I hope) the Creme Egg tray bake that was in the COSTCO magazine. recipe: margarine , castor sugar, eggs, flour, icing sugar, 5 creme eggs, cocoa powder. I can't even imagine how sweet in would be.
...ok that's now put me right off Creme Eggs!!! :D

I've lost my sweet tooth.
In the past I would have eaten them, but nowadays I just can't get into sugary food.
The diabetes fairy is definitely on my shoulder!
(But I also spent a lot of effort getting off the family boxes of donuts as well)

Oh god I thought I was doing low carb my nurse said 130g carb a day is low carb so that’s what I’ve been doing I don’t think I could manage 50 I’m worried about what’s going to happen to me as I’ve developed this so young compared to what stats say are typical. The advice I got from professor Taylor was that providesd I stay at the weight I was in November or lower (which I am) I can be confident of the diabetes staying away but in much later life when much less active it may well return but diabetes 70+ And causes almost no disadvantage to health when diagnosed over the age of 70. So I was feeling optimistic but then so many people in here disagree on remission so I’m just all over the place emotionally
The 50 gm a day is from all my years doing Atkins, so it is easy for me to achieve.
I eat twice a day, but have two proper meals, so I might have steak and mushrooms early in the day - or scrambled eggs with cheese and salad. I drink coffee with cream and then, 12 hours later eat again. As I can cope with carbs better later in the day I might have a dessert a couple of times a week.
I lost weight without trying as my blood glucose normalized in the early days.
I have always needed to eat low carb to feel well and maintain my weight, but my GPs have always thought that they knew better and pushed me to eat low fat and high carb. I am over 70 now and have no intention of allowing my blood glucose to get out of control. Many of my family have reached their late 80s if not gone on into their 90s, so I could have a long way to go and plan to remain in good health.

The 50 gm a day is from all my years doing Atkins, so it is easy for me to achieve.
I eat twice a day, but have two proper meals, so I might have steak and mushrooms early in the day - or scrambled eggs with cheese and salad. I drink coffee with cream and then, 12 hours later eat again. As I can cope with carbs better later in the day I might have a dessert a couple of times a week.
I lost weight without trying as my blood glucose normalized in the early days.
I have always needed to eat low carb to feel well and maintain my weight, but my GPs have always thought that they knew better and pushed me to eat low fat and high carb. I am over 70 now and have no intention of allowing my blood glucose to get out of control. Many of my family have reached their late 80s if not gone on into their 90s, so I could have a long way to go and plan to remain in good health.
When you have a desert what kind of things do you have?

When you have a desert what kind of things do you have?
Sorry to butt in, I have sugarfree jelly with berries added in with cream or Kvarg deserts (low carb, high protein, low fat) or make a fruit crumble using almond flour and low sugar granola as a topping. If you google low carb or keto deserts there are lots there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back