How’s your control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you look at the statistics for how many people achieve an HbA1c within the guidelines, it’s a very small percentage.
They must all be here on the forum then because most regulars here have exceptionally good HbA1c results. Does that reflect on the forum or the people it attracts or both??
I always feel like my results warrant a "could do better" teachers comment..... but i guess we could all "do better" if life didn't get in the way!

They must all be here on the forum then because most regulars here have exceptionally good HbA1c results. Does that reflect on the forum or the people it attracts or both??
I always feel like my results warrant a "could do better" teachers comment..... but i guess we could all "do better" if life didn't get in the way!
I’ve been trying to download the National Diabetes Audit figures, but my internet is on a go slow. That gives the annual figures for how many people achieve either an HbA1c of 48, or 58. And I remember from looking at it when the last set of figures came out, that it’s worryingly small. I’d no idea, like you, because the Forum represents a large number of people who have good HbA1c, I think we miss the big picture.

I've had a look for you and if I've read it right,
T1s: 12.5% have an hba1c of less than 48, 35.9% have an hba1c of less than 58
T2s: 30.1% have an hba1c of less than 48, 61.9% have an hba1c of less than 58
Data for England only.
1648333136578.png

I've had a look for you and if I've read it right,
T1s: 12.5% have an hba1c of less than 48, 35.9% have an hba1c of less than 58
T2s: 30.1% have an hba1c of less than 48, 61.9% have an hba1c of less than 58
Data for England only.
View attachment 20370
Thank you! That accords with what I remembered, especially the very low number of Type 1s who meet the 48 target.

Does everyone with T1's body, actually feel right when their A1c is that low? I got mine down to 51 once but that was at the cost of having multiple hypos every single day and my right eye decided to have retinopathy whereas my left eye had already had a scar of it for 25 years by then. Hence because it was always touch and go whether I'd be able to drive my car to go wherever whenever I wanted or needed to, let alone sit and work, I knocked that game on the head.

And at what point have more people with T1D had such an A1c result?

For most of my 50 years with T1, they haven't even been analysed to this degree.

@leonS - retinal clinics aren't manned by DSNs or diabetologists - may not even be at the same location. Mine aren't.
Yes I should have read the original post properly.

In my area the staff of these clinics have no other duty except to produce the nest possible picture of the back of the eye. Evaluation is done elsewhere by others. Why do the clinic staff need to know?

Actoally, I do not attend screening. Non-diabetic eye problems makes it difficult for me to see what is outside my eyes and impossible for anyone to see what is on the inside.

Each year I receive a letter "An appointment has been made for you... I tell them that as they will not be able to get a picture I will not be attending. I am told the further appointments will not be made.

After doing this for five times over five tears I was a little put out. I was told that I had not opted out of screening but had just cancelled appointments.

Does everyone with T1's body, actually feel right when their A1c is that low?
Yes. My HbA1C has consisgently been around 48 without many hypos and I feel healthier than most of my non-diabetic friends about the same age as me,
I eat what I want, exercise regularly and manage my levels with a pump and a CGM. After 18 years, I experience no diabetes complication.

I'm not arguing that you don't feel right, merely pointing out that not everyone does, is all.

Perhaps if it had been possible to have an A1c that low 50 years ago when I was diagnosed aged 22, it wouldn't have been so alien to my body in my early 50's? remember, we couldn't test our own blood even.

I got a question of "is your diabetes don't okay today" this morning

I've had screening ever since I was diagnosed.
Until recently, when I moved counties, screening was done at my opticians.
And they certainly knew their stuff.
Very professional, lots of discussion about the screening, and the images uploaded to the NHS for confirmation.
Now, the screening is done directly by the NHS, so no discussion, but a letter telling me it's all good.
So, as I like to know things, I do pay for a private screen at my annual optician eye test as well.
Chat about the results, point at things, and yes, definitely talk about control.
No one is judging me, but the more information we share, the better the result is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back