• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community

hotel

dingdong

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
booked a few days away to blackpool in a hotel bed breakfast & evening meal how does everyone else go on with the food as im sure there will be a lot on the menu you are not suppose to eat

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hope everything is buffet service, so you can make sensible choices!!! Otherwise, at breakfast I don't have juice, toast or cereal, just the cooked (usually egg, tomato, mushrooms, grilled bacon) but not hash browns, sausage, fried bread or black pudding. Just ask them to leave off the items you don't want. For the evening meal, ask for salad or extra veggies instead of potato, rice or pasta. Something like a fish/veggie starter with a bit of salad (ie prawn cocktail or garlic mushrooms), and fresh berries for pudding should be OK. I can never eat 3 courses so usually skip the starter and sweet, and of course I ignore the bread on the table.
On a more practical note, I suggest you advise them in advance that you have special dietary requirements and are unable to eat whatever you are avoiding. It may or may not help - some hotels are better than others. But most important - have a good holiday and don't fret too much for a few days.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think it will depend on how much choice there is for the meals, breakfast there will usually be a selection of breakfast items so I would avoid the cereals and too much toast or hash browns and go for bacon and eggs. Main meals ask for extra salad or veg and watch anything with chips. potatoes, rice or pasta.
I can't remember if you are on insulin if so then you may have to estimate carbs and do extra testing.
If their menu is on line you could sus it out first.
Good advice from Felina there.

dingdong

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hope everything is buffet service, so you can make sensible choices!!! Otherwise, at breakfast I don't have juice, toast or cereal, just the cooked (usually egg, tomato, mushrooms, grilled bacon) but not hash browns, sausage, fried bread or black pudding. Just ask them to leave off the items you don't want. For the evening meal, ask for salad or extra veggies instead of potato, rice or pasta. Something like a fish/veggie starter with a bit of salad (ie prawn cocktail or garlic mushrooms), and fresh berries for pudding should be OK. I can never eat 3 courses so usually skip the starter and sweet, and of course I ignore the bread on the table.
On a more practical note, I suggest you advise them in advance that you have special dietary requirements and are unable to eat whatever you are avoiding. It may or may not help - some hotels are better than others. But most important - have a good holiday and don't fret too much for a few days.
like you i dont do starters or sweets so will stick to bacon eggs mushrooms & tomatoes for breakfast .im sure i wont starve at teatime .thanks for the advice

dingdong

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think it will depend on how much choice there is for the meals, breakfast there will usually be a selection of breakfast items so I would avoid the cereals and too much toast or hash browns and go for bacon and eggs. Main meals ask for extra salad or veg and watch anything with chips. potatoes, rice or pasta.
I can't remember if you are on insulin if so then you may have to estimate carbs and do extra testing.
If their menu is on line you could sus it out first.
Good advice from Felina there.
no not on insulin am on metformin

travellor

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Even with table service you can normally sort out things you like from the other stuff, and most people will swop them out.
Evening meal depends on the type of hotel really.
I tend to book just breakfast, then find a decent restaurant for the evening meal.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
no not on insulin am on metformin
You should be fine, just enjoy your holiday. Years since I went to Blackpool, as a kid we always went for the illuminations, and other holidays but normally stayed in Bispam or St Anne's on Sea.