Hospitals and managing type1

When I was in hospital recently (as a day patient for surgery under GA), I was surprised how little they were interested in my diabetes beyond asking what BG my CGM said. There was no question about how much insulin I had taken (or when).
When my BG went high after surgery, I had to request a finger prick (I don't trust my CGM when high) because I couldn't easily do it myself one handed. But they left me to make the necessary corrections ... which I can do one handed through the phone app which talks to my pump.

Sadly, I wonder whether there is some age discrimination going on here with assumptions that someone over. say, 70 not able to look after themselves. Although the care I have got has been great, a few times, I have felt I was judged by the numbers (e.g. age) in my notes rather than for who I am.

Sadly, I wonder whether there is some age discrimination going on here with assumptions that someone over. say, 70 not able to look after themselves. Although the care I have got has been great, a few times, I have felt I was judged by the numbers (e.g. age) in my notes rather than for who I am.
I think you have a point there. I’m 73 and the majority of patients were around my age or older. However, staff said I was much easier to deal with than most because I wanted to do things for myself as far as possible (not just D-related things) while most were content for, or expected, staff to manage everything for them.

Back