Horrid hypo trap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was just about to have my lunch so tested - 3.8. A bit low, but I was about to eat so didn't worry about it. Inected and ate my nice, low GI beans and granary bread with a small pork pie (treat!). As I was finishing the meal started feeling really low, so tested again -1.7!!!😱 Started chewing on the jelly babies, but it didn't seem to be helping and I got those horrible panicky feelings, so had a small glass of lucozade too.

The thing is, because I'd just eaten my slow-release food, I was then worrying that, with my stomach full, the fast-acting sugars I was trying to get on board would also be slowed right down! That's the whole idea of having a sweet treat with a meal - no spike, but I wanted a spike! What on earth are you supposed to do in those circumstances? I nearly went next door to my neighbour's to ask if I could sit with her in case I dropped even lower, but thankfully I did feel a slight rise.

Have just tested again now (an hour after the 1.7) and I'm up to 6.8 but still feel quite spaced out. I'll probably go much higher now, grrrr!!!😡

Hope you feel better Northe! Maybe next time have about 2 jelly babies and test 10 minutes later in case it's a proper hypo? It's a pain but would avoid such a situation.

Today has been a weird one for me (and i think ive been having at least one hypo a day for about 2 weeks now). I was 3.1 at 3.30am last night, so I had a glass of apple juice, a couple of glucotabs and a piece of toast with peanut butter. I then just went to sleep because I was soo tired and didn't want to wait to test. Usually that much would make me wake up at about 16! I woke up at 3.1 again! had another glass of apple juice and 3 glucotabs. Because of the evil hypos i decided to sleep for another hour... woke up at 3.8 🙄

Not sure what happened there.

aww bless ya...hypos suck...hope ur back on an even keel soonest xxxxxx

Speaking of hypos am off to the gym 🙄

Hope you feel better Northe! Maybe next time have about 2 jelly babies and test 10 minutes later in case it's a proper hypo? It's a pain but would avoid such a situation.

Today has been a weird one for me (and i think ive been having at least one hypo a day for about 2 weeks now). I was 3.1 at 3.30am last night, so I had a glass of apple juice, a couple of glucotabs and a piece of toast with peanut butter. I then just went to sleep because I was soo tired and didn't want to wait to test. Usually that much would make me wake up at about 16! I woke up at 3.1 again! had another glass of apple juice and 3 glucotabs. Because of the evil hypos i decided to sleep for another hour... woke up at 3.8 🙄

Not sure what happened there.

Yeah, feeling a bit better now thanks🙂 I don't normally over treat, but I felt like I was about to pass out so didn't feel I could wait 10 minutes. Usually when I hypo it's before a meal so I have some fast sugar straightaway and feel fine. I think my problem lies in the fact that it was about 4 hours after breakfast, and I've noticed in the past that my biggest drop usually occurs about 4.5-5 hours after last bolus/eating, so this time I must have been dropping fast whilst I was eating. Serves me right for having a late breakfast (I suppose!)

Glad to hear you're OK - it's weird when you've pumped all those carbs in and just slept, but still remain low - where did it go, or what was your brain up to? Did you have any dreams?😱

Oh northerner that sounds horrible! There's something especially horrible about hypos so soon after eating :( Do you have some hypofit or any of those ones that you can rub into your gum? I have a couple of sachets for use in dire emergencies because they taste awful, but it would maybe bring you up a little quicker in that situation.

Yeah, feeling a bit better now thanks🙂 I don't normally over treat, but I felt like I was about to pass out so didn't feel I could wait 10 minutes. Usually when I hypo it's before a meal so I have some fast sugar straightaway and feel fine. I think my problem lies in the fact that it was about 4 hours after breakfast, and I've noticed in the past that my biggest drop usually occurs about 4.5-5 hours after last bolus/eating, so this time I must have been dropping fast whilst I was eating. Serves me right for having a late breakfast (I suppose!)

Glad to hear you're OK - it's weird when you've pumped all those carbs in and just slept, but still remain low - where did it go, or what was your brain up to? Did you have any dreams?😱

Hope you don't go too high. You might have to do one of your super-rare corrections :D

Lol, I don't think I had a particularly active mind last night 😛 Can't remember any dreams anyway... I can only assume I took way too much novorapid last night?!

Oh northerner that sounds horrible! There's something especially horrible about hypos so soon after eating :( Do you have some hypofit or any of those ones that you can rub into your gum? I have a couple of sachets for use in dire emergencies because they taste awful, but it would maybe bring you up a little quicker in that situation.

Thanks ange! I do have some hypofit, but wasn't thinking straight. In fact I've had that hypofit since September 2008, so obviously keep forgetting it when I drop low!

Wowser into the 1's, not good Young sir! & Katie not good either, hope you both get sorted pronto-ish. I Still haven't been below 3, and can't think of anything worse.

Take care,

Rossi (need beer)

Cheers Rossi - never below 3? Most of mine are below 3 cos that's normally when I really take notice and test! I just tested again and instead of the horrendous high I was expecting after all that extra glucose, I'm 5.4...:confused:

It's an interesting one. And it's the reason I was advised to use something such as dextrose or Glucogel (was hypostop) as these disolve into the blood stream much sooner than jelly babies or other processed sugar foods.

I recall it's something to do with complex and simple carbohydrates, but it was nnnnnn years ago since I did that course.

Hope you're feeling ok now and the headache from hell doesn't arrive with you 😱

How are you doing now Northe? And, have you any idea what's causing this? I seem to recall you had a hypo a fews days ago, or am I imagining it?

How are you doing now Northe? And, have you any idea what's causing this? I seem to recall you had a hypo a fews days ago, or am I imagining it?

Hi Ally, I'm fine thanks. Hypos aren't hugely rare for me - one of the downsides of trying to get tight control on insulin - but they aren't usually as severe or difficult to treat. I did have a bad one not so long ago where my levels dropped after my lantus injection which shouldn't really happen!

Hi Ally, I'm fine thanks. Hypos aren't hugely rare for me - one of the downsides of trying to get tight control on insulin - but they aren't usually as severe or difficult to treat. I did have a bad one not so long ago where my levels dropped after my lantus injection which shouldn't really happen!

Yes, that's the one I was remembering I think. I was worrying that maybe you'd got a bad batch or something.

Hi Northe,

Sorry you had a rough time.:(

If this was Alex, i would have given 1 x glucotab and injected either half way through eating or at the end of eating.

The food you had was all relatively slow especially all the fat in the pork pie, so giving insulin and waiting for any of the food to hit would have done exactly the same to Alex.😱

Even if Alex is 4.5 or similar i would still wait until he had eaten something before injecting.🙂Bev

Hi Northe,

Sorry you had a rough time.:(

If this was Alex, i would have given 1 x glucotab and injected either half way through eating or at the end of eating.

The food you had was all relatively slow especially all the fat in the pork pie, so giving insulin and waiting for any of the food to hit would have done exactly the same to Alex.😱

Even if Alex is 4.5 or similar i would still wait until he had eaten something before injecting.🙂Bev

I'm just not used to doing it bev - in fact, I can't remember if I've EVER injected after eating. There again, I don't usually have something as fatty as a pork pie. I think it was probably that, plus the fact my breakfast NR probably hadn't been spent, plus the fact that I started the meal low - all of which are rare circumstances but which I will try and remember for the next time!

OK, so my readings have gone 3.8 (pre-lunch), 1.7, 6.8, 5.4, 8.8 (pre-evening meal). Feel like I'm on a bungee!😱

aww thats ashame :( hope ur ok now !

it sucks wen that happens! Im usually between 3-4 when i start to feel a hypo and if i test my sugars and its at like 2.7 or somethin, i panik! and start shovelin everythin lol im so bad for that! but hypos do scare me sometimes...

if im at 3.8 or round about that before a meal i usually wait until after the meal to inject cause i have done that before and injected before the meal then ended up feeling hypo then im panikin cause i have just put a load of insulin in me then im going hypo and i think im going to end up passing out. most of its all in my head... I have mentioned it at the hospital and they just say to check my sugars more often.... thanks very much for the advice and support u know lol

anyway hope ur ok which im sure u will be 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back