Honeymooning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy2202

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys.
after speaking to my diabetes team they are aware I’ve had to stop Novarapid all together, and also now need to drop background levemeir from 18 units to 14 units as I’m still getting to low during the day and evening.
I wonder if this will continue to be the case that I need to reduce background even more?!
she told me there was a guy once in her clinic that only used levemier once a day at 3 units for about 4 years 🙂

I feel soooo much better knowing that’s now the reason I’m getting low all the time.
Funny game this type one lark

Hi guys.
after speaking to my diabetes team they are aware I’ve had to stop Novarapid all together, and also now need to drop background levemeir from 18 units to 14 units as I’m still getting to low during the day and evening.
I wonder if this will continue to be the case that I need to reduce background even more?!
she told me there was a guy once in her clinic that only used levemier once a day at 3 units for about 4 years 🙂

I feel soooo much better knowing that’s now the reason I’m getting low all the time.
Great to hear that you are needing less insulin at the moment.

There was a lady on my DAFNE course who had been Type 1 for 50 years and she only needed 2 units of Lantus a day and a very minimal amount of quick acting insulin too as she only ate one meal a day. After 50 years, it is probably safe to assume she wasn't still honeymooning but even with those low doses she was hypoing quite regularly during the night, sometimes very seriously, needing paramedics and then going high (mid teens) during the day. Thankfully she is now on a pump, which is enabling her to manage her levels much better.

I imagine we probably all feel a bit better about reducing our insulin doses when they need reducing and a bit disappointed when we need to increase them. I know I tend to resist increasing my basal dose and firefight with bolus insulin until I can't ignore that I am being stupid and need to up the dose.

I hope your honeymoon period is very stable and long in duration, but if it becomes unstable, then I hope it passes quickly.

Your right it’s a funny old game. I was diagnosed honeymooner last sept. Today my DN agreed that I shouldn’t take any insulin at all. Im
Sure I will be re labelled as a type 2. I’m so confused

Your right it’s a funny old game. I was diagnosed honeymooner last sept. Today my DN agreed that I shouldn’t take any insulin at all. Im
Sure I will be re labelled as a type 2. I’m so confused
How interesting. Yes I was thinking if I carry on this direction will I be type 2?
seems unlucky as they confirmed I was type one a couple of months ago.
Was you getting low all the time aswell?

I imagine we probably all feel a bit better about reducing our insulin doses when they need reducing and a bit disappointed when we need to increase them.
Nope - I don't judge my or anyone else's insulin dose. I take as much as I need and find it frustrating when my needs change whichever way they go.
My basal dose has reduced by 20% since I had my second covid jab. I resisted changing my pump settings for months as I didn't believe it to be true but finally gave in last week and accepted that it was not a temporary blip.

No doubt about that.

Keep an eye on your blood sugar levels. You may find that you need more insulin again when your pancreas finally gives up permanently. Please remember that is not your fault and nor is increasing insulin a bad thing - it is what your body needs. Chances are your total insulin requirements don't usually change much* - just the ratio of insulin your body produces and insulin you inject will change.

How interesting. Yes I was thinking if I carry on this direction will I be type 2?
Actually to be more accurate I was told I was type 2 in sept then a couple of months later it was changed to type 1 honeymooner as I’m slim. My antigad was slightly raised pointing to type 1 but my c peptide showed only possible resistance - type 2. Did you have either of these tests? I’m currently on very low carb. If I take insulin to allow me to eat more i go low. My background started at only 2 and 2 fast before meals. My DN told me today that my libre chart looks like one of a non diabetic but I have to work really hard to keep it that way. She said if I was truly a type 1 then she would expect to see a gradual decline even on my diet and not an improvement. We kinda just left it that we catch up in a couple of months and take it from there. I’m a bit of a head scratcher I think

I've been T1 for 25 years, but my insulin requirements have plummeted over the last couple of years (I'm 68) particularly in basal insulin - I only take around half of what I was used to, to avoid hypos and stay in good control - had a day yesterday when I never went above 8 all day and night. Also, my correction doses have halved to get down from higher BG levels. Might be feature of getting older, though I can't think why. I don't feel old, for sure.

It may be associated with the PLS and the muscle wasting. My BP is also textbook perfect without any of the treatment I'd been on for years. Strange, though the fewer tablets I need to keep going the better, in my view.

Actually to be more accurate I was told I was type 2 in sept then a couple of months later it was changed to type 1 honeymooner as I’m slim. My antigad was slightly raised pointing to type 1 but my c peptide showed only possible resistance - type 2. Did you have either of these tests? I’m currently on very low carb. If I take insulin to allow me to eat more i go low. My background started at only 2 and 2 fast before meals. My DN told me today that my libre chart looks like one of a non diabetic but I have to work really hard to keep it that way. She said if I was truly a type 1 then she would expect to see a gradual decline even on my diet and not an improvement. We kinda just left it that we catch up in a couple of months and take it from there. I’m a bit of a head scratcher I think
Do you get the libre thru the nhs?
they told me today that I tick all the boxes to get one on prescription (physical job, working at height, amount of tests per day) so I’ve been placed on a online course in the next couple weeks to learn more about it (I’ve got a 2 week free trial but not set it up yet)
as for those tests you’ve had, I had additional antibody tests to test 3 different levels and they said all 3 were significantly raised - these might have been what your referring to.
good to be a head scratcher… keeps them on their toes 🙂

Yes Jimmy I was lucky enough to get the libre 2 on prescription with no problems. I did the libre webinar thingy but I’d been self funding the libre 1 (which i preferred) so I knew what I was doing just went through the motions. Testing positive on all 3 puts in little doubt the type 1 Diagnoses I suspect for you, so it defo sounds like your on honeymoon…send us a postcard 😉

My path was same, never stopped insulin but amount taken was so small, needless to say it went up but slowly dropped again as got older. It is what it is.

Hello @Jimmy2202 I too had a long "Honeymoon" about a year through which I slowly came around to needing to up my Insulin. Surprisingly I was type 1 from the get go, I recall the Dr being surprised by that as I was in my late 30's early 40's.
He said it seems as if my Pancreas was partly working and every month we would tweak my insulin.

My situation was a bit like @mark king. Only longer.

I was diagnosed in my mid 30s. At the time, the GP decided I must be Type 1 because I was “too slim to be type 2”. If the GAD and c-peptide tests existed then (just over 15 years ago), they were very rare. Luckily, my GP’s diagnosis was just accepted and I was given insulin from the start.
For the first couple of months I was on a mixed insulin twice a day. It was restrictive and I am glad Libre didn’t exist at the time because I would have been constantly worried about my roller coaster levels. Instead I was pleasantly ignorant apart from feeling too sluggish to exercise most of the time.
Things improved when I was changed to basal bolus although my doses were low. If I remember correctly, my basal dose was 8 units and my bolus was 1 or 2 units per meal. I was given “children’s “ insulin pens because I needed half units. I got the impression this was rare. My dose slowly increased year on year ( I said it was a long honeymoon). When my levels were creeping up, I’d increase my basal. After 8 years, my dose plateaued.
Since then, it decreased when I started pumping and decreased again when I had my covid jabs (yes, I’m weird). I am currently on about about 2/3 of the basal dose I was on 8 years after my diagnosis and probably the dose I was on after about 5 years.
The moral of this tale, is the honeymoon can last years not just a few weeks or months and things rarely stay the same for long.

I have also found it strange, (11 weeks diagnosed LADA), I was to take 4 units of the background insulin , and two units of the Fiasp. I now have a junior pen and take either a half or one unit after meals. My carb ratio seems to be about 1 to 30: . My BS have been excellent then I get an odd day when I am reminded it can be so hard. I am retired and have the time to pay careful attention to managing my diabetes.

My situation was a bit like @mark king. Only longer.

I was diagnosed in my mid 30s. At the time, the GP decided I must be Type 1 because I was “too slim to be type 2”. If the GAD and c-peptide tests existed then (just over 15 years ago), they were very rare. Luckily, my GP’s diagnosis was just accepted and I was given insulin from the start.
For the first couple of months I was on a mixed insulin twice a day. It was restrictive and I am glad Libre didn’t exist at the time because I would have been constantly worried about my roller coaster levels. Instead I was pleasantly ignorant apart from feeling too sluggish to exercise most of the time.
Things improved when I was changed to basal bolus although my doses were low. If I remember correctly, my basal dose was 8 units and my bolus was 1 or 2 units per meal. I was given “children’s “ insulin pens because I needed half units. I got the impression this was rare. My dose slowly increased year on year ( I said it was a long honeymoon). When my levels were creeping up, I’d increase my basal. After 8 years, my dose plateaued.
Since then, it decreased when I started pumping and decreased again when I had my covid jabs (yes, I’m weird). I am currently on about about 2/3 of the basal dose I was on 8 years after my diagnosis and probably the dose I was on after about 5 years.
The moral of this tale, is the honeymoon can last years not just a few weeks or months and things rarely stay the same for long.
It’s very good to hear story’s like this. Thank you. I’ve got a few days to monitor my levels closey now with my reduced background. Exciting times 🙂

@Northerner - who was Admin on this site for years - is T1 but usually defines himself as 'Type Weird' because he still only needs such a tiny amount of insulin every day. He was diagnosed when he collapsed with a really bad - viral -chest infection years since when he was just about to fly to Stockholm to run in their marathon - from which you will automatically realise that he must have been as fit 'as a butcher's dog' then. He was right hacked off when he couldn't go!

Thing about every single PWD in the world whatever Label is stuck to their D is that we are ALL different somehow whether curly or straight hair, blonde or brunette, eye colour, family medical history or how we earn our wages, so even when it has the same label as someone else's, eg myself and everydayupsand downs are both T1 - but the same as each other? No Way, Pedro!! - though we do share/have shared some experiences linked to our D.

@Northerner doesn't have any basal at all, but I think he has quite a bit more bolus than I do. I have a very small amount of basal (they put me on 16 units when I was diagnosed, then dropped it to 6 units after I told them I had to get up and eat a jam sandwich every night for the first week after I got home from hospital, and currently I'm on 4.5 units, but it may be 5 units next week and 4 units the week after that). I change all my doses a lot. The amount of bolus I need decreases as the day goes on - I start on a "normal" ratio of about 1:10 for breakfast and end up eating biscuits without any insulin before bed to stop myself going low in the night. I hypo a lot - an awful lot - and there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it (the Libre helps and I've never yet been hospitalised with a hypo) - I suspect I'm now in the 11th year of my honeymoon period. Definitely a type 1 (or type weird) though - I had DKA when I was diagnosed, I had lost a stone in weight in the week or two before that and was underweight, my HbA1c was 103, and my GAD antibody test result was >2000. They didn't bother with a C-Peptide!

@TheClockworkDodo
Wow that’s amazing. 11th year!

mice had a perfect day number wise after reducing my background last night - ha ent hypo’d at all today or even come close - and haven’t even had to eat before bed to raise my levels. Chuffed today

Yes, as I understand it it’s a few years since @Northerner has taken any basal insulin at all. He started on fairly standard doses, but his basal need just faded away. Still needs bolus insulin for meals though 🙂

@TheClockworkDodo
Wow that’s amazing. 11th year!

mice had a perfect day number wise after reducing my background last night - ha ent hypo’d at all today or even come close - and haven’t even had to eat before bed to raise my levels. Chuffed today
Well done. With T1 we get plenty of brain gym every day.

Yes, as I understand it it’s a few years since @Northerner has taken any basal insulin at all. He started on fairly standard doses, but his basal need just faded away. Still needs bolus insulin for meals though 🙂
Yes, I started on 20 units of lantus and had to gradually reduce it over a period of 18 months to single figures. Then, after 4 years, I was waking in the low 4s on 2 units so decided to try without - haven't needed any basal now for nearly 10 years 😱 My bolus insulin (novorapid) varies between 10 - 30 units a day 🙂 So, I produce sufficient insulin to manage my basal needs, but not any carbs in food. There is no category that I fit into, so I am Type Weird 😱 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back