Honeymooning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another interesting thread.

I was diagnosed lat Nov as Marc was and for quite a while believed I was in Honeymoon land, however no longer (I think.)

LADA, I'd heard bits about it thanks for explaining it, okay it would be nice to know, but more tests? When the result wouldn't result in much difference, you are managing you situation health well so what is, is.

So are you still honeymooning, you might be but also might not. You spent a lot of your years as you've said you're in your late forties, as a health concious man, your are intelligent and wise to a lot of goings on. More so you are really quite active. Okay your levels don't yo-yo like others on this 'ere forum, but if you didn't inject for a normal lunch, would you levels shoot up? I did this once was up in mid teens in no time! My active levels vary a lot and they vary my BS and amount of insulin required a lot, it's still a game I'm trying to find the rules to. Now if I was as regulated as your self, then I'm sure I too would have better control. For example on a day when I'm "on site" as in on my feet all day walking around doing what I do, I can stay between 4 and 6 easy, and only need a couple of units for a sarnie. But if I'm in the office for weeks I would take nearer 8 units and swing from a low of 3 up to 9, yes need to get better.

So I wouldn't say you are honeymooning for defo, or that your 1.5, but what do I know. All I know is your lifestyle from what I've heard makes your results possible from where I'm sitting.

Either way so long as you keep up healthy living monitoring etc, you'll be fine.

Rossi

As you know, I'm in a similar position but its 4 and half years since diagnosis. I think my insulin requirements vary a lot. a month or so ago I was going down into the 2s with minimal exercise, I was in half a mind to see what happened if I missed the insulin for a meal or 2. This month the same exercise is resulting in fairly stable levels.
One thing though,(and what makes me cautious about experimenting) the one time my catheter came out on a long run... so no insulin at all, my levels were the highest I had recorded since diagnosis (15mmol) and I had moderate ketones, yet I normally reduce my basal to at most 0.2u an hour for running. It's most strange.

I think I'm going to do a bit more research, maybe there are some recent LADA studies, I haven't looked for a while.

I think the reason your levels go high without insulin is that your body thinks it is being starved as it can't access the glucose in your blood - it presumes you don't have enough glucose and releases glucagon which makes the liver release some of its stores - pushing your levels even higher! It does suggest that your pancreas is producing very little, if any, of its own insulin - perhaps it only does it when it gets the stimulus from food?

Do share if you find anything interesting!🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back