Highest level since diagnosis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh you sound like your having a great time northerner (Y)
hope your okay tomorrow or should i say today!
🙂

Hi Northey hope you managed to have some kip, how are your levels~? x

Hi Alan,

Sorry to hear the D is messing about. Hope you feel better today?
Do you have signs of a sniffle or anything, there is a lot going around?

is there a possibility that you may have been bordering a hypo with the 4.4mmol before dinner? as the blood monitiors are less acurate the lower the b.s , it could be a possibility that you were just bodering hypo and your liver has kicked in... just a thought , hope things are better for you today🙂

Thanks everyone 🙂 I eventually climbed back up to 7.1 before bed and woke up to a 5.3 this morning. No sign of any cold etc., so I guess it was just a blip!

Just read the tale of your overnight goings-on... What a nightmare!

Out of interest what was your correction dose? If only 1u then there's little you can do if ever the same thing happens again apart from just leave it to come down on its own. :(

I'm never sure whether the [potential] rollercoaster of too high down to too low over the course of a few hours does more damage than a more gradual descent to normal over 8 hours or so. Of course there are always times when a correction works perfectly and fixes a nasty spike in a couple of hours.

Diabetes can be such a swine sometimes! Always faced with imponderable choices.

I gave 3 units novorapid correction (1 unit=3mmol/l) and I don't think it was too far out - I probably hadn't taken into account the fact that I still had some meal bolus left, so maybe 2 units would have been better. Having only done it twice before though, I don't have much experience to rely on!

I'm pretty sure that changes from 4.4>17.1>3.6>7.1 are not good for you 😱 Let's not do that again eh, diabetes? 😉

Wow, what an exciting night you had! I'm glad things are better now. They are behaving themselves aren't they, those naughty numbers?

Phew glad things are better now Alan what a drama.

Hmmm yes I'd consider 3u a pretty big correction (but then I am on fairly small doses). I have a suspicion that for me smaller doses behave quite differently. I should probably look into how my bolus is absorbed, but it seems (from poorly recollected experience) that 1u and 2u corrections are quicker in and out while anything 4u and over tends to have more of a 4-hour profile. Much in the same way that I'll drink two halves faster than a pint 🙂

Effectively I'm nervy of anything over a 2u correction, esp if I still have some meal bolus going that it will stack over.

Not that you'll have to worry about this. Your control is just too darned peachy for you to have to worry about corrections for another year or so :D

is there a possibility that you may have been bordering a hypo with the 4.4mmol before dinner? as the blood monitiors are less acurate the lower the b.s , it could be a possibility that you were just bodering hypo and your liver has kicked in... just a thought , hope things are better for you today🙂

My thoughts exactly!

Would like to point out that this kind of thing is a fairly regular occurrence for me 😱 So don't panic!

Hope it didn't leave you feeling too rough, Northey, especially as you're not used to it. Big hugs to you!

My thoughts exactly!

Would like to point out that this kind of thing is a fairly regular occurrence for me 😱 So don't panic!

Hope it didn't leave you feeling too rough, Northey, especially as you're not used to it. Big hugs to you!

Thanks Emma. My main problem was that I was already tired when I took the first reading (and possibly partly because of it!), but didn't feel safe going to bed until 3 hours later! :(

I'm regularly in the upper 3s, lower 4s before evening meal, so don't think it was a liver dump. I suspect it was a timing issue with the food and insulin, I should probably have injected after eating rather than before.

Hi Northener sorry to hear about this bouncing sugars can be very tiring and corrections can tend to be difficult to calculate. I've now found that for me that 1 unit of correction will reduce me by approx 3mmols provided that I've left a gap of at least two hours since the last injection ie for 13.1 I would have 2 units which allows for my bg to fall to 7 with some margin of error.........but this rule of thumb doesn't always work!!!

Hi Northener sorry to hear about this bouncing sugars can be very tiring and corrections can tend to be difficult to calculate. I've now found that for me that 1 unit of correction will reduce me by approx 3mmols provided that I've left a gap of at least two hours since the last injection ie for 13.1 I would have 2 units which allows for my bg to fall to 7 with some margin of error.........but this rule of thumb doesn't always work!!!

Thanks. I think my mistake last night was to correct for the 17.1 reading instead of the reading I took a few moments later which was 14.6 - hence I gave 3 units instead of 2. I probably wouldn't have had the 3.6 later if I'd only given 2. Still, three times in two years isn't a lot of experience to draw on! I think I panicked a little 🙂

Thanks Emma. My main problem was that I was already tired when I took the first reading (and possibly partly because of it!), but didn't feel safe going to bed until 3 hours later! :(

I'm regularly in the upper 3s, lower 4s before evening meal, so don't think it was a liver dump. I suspect it was a timing issue with the food and insulin, I should probably have injected after eating rather than before.

There's no way I would inject insulin whilst in the upper 3's or even the lower 4's up to 4.5, as fast acting insulin's such as novorapid begin to lower bg 20 minutes after injecting, and depending on the meal can work quicker than your digestive system in breaking down the food. Much like what other's have said, I wonder if your bg was in fact lower (given meter accuracy at this level) and you have unknowingly gone hypo and the 17.1 was the aftermath, but anyway hope this is a one-off for you and your good control continues. Toby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back