• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

High sugars in the night

'A banana' is far from being something simple to eat - when you have diabetes. Ever since I've had diabetes I have never ever been able to eat more than about a third of one - send my blood glucose shooting up into the stratosphere. We haven't bought any for at least 20 years!
Yeah, i was really hungry that day, i skipped breakfast, had a banana, skipped lunch at work and had a little something later and my results still went up quite high. I was told years ago that as a diabetic, it's important to have your main 3 meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner and keep it in line i.e more or less the same time if possible. However since i've had the sensor and seeing a lot of high readings even with very little to eat, it goes up so high and barely goes down.

That’s a vicious circle @Mickeyminime If you don’t eat, your body will pump out glucose and your blood sugar can go high. So it’s not the easy answer you think.

You’d be better off doing a basal test, eating three meals a day, then looking at your mealtime ratios one meal at a time.

Do you have the two Type 1 ‘bibles’:

Think Like a Pancreas’ by Gary Scheiner.

And Type 1 Diabetes in Children Adolescents and Young People by Ragnar Hanas (ignore the title - it’s great for adults too).

That all suggests to me that your morning basal (long acting) insulin dose is not big enough to keep you steady which is why you are needing so many "stacked corrections" ie one corrective dose after the next when the first one is still active. This can be very dangerous unless you know exactly what you are doing with your insulin and keep track of the active insulin in your system. Each dose of NovoRapid lasts for 4-5 hours so if you inject some more an hour or two after the first one you have two lots of active insulin in your system and you then added another one on top. If you then did a lot of exercise or physical activity, all those stacked corrections could potentially drop your levels like a stone and leave you very dangerously hypo, possibly even unconscious. I have done it myself but with smaller doses and I always keep track of when I inject each one and how much of that insulin is left when I jab the next one etc, so that I know roughly how much glucose I would need if I suddenly started to drop low, plus I am retired so I can mostly keep a close eye on it, so do be careful if you are tempted to do that again but my thoughts are that your morning basal may not be enough and generally it is suggested to increase by no more than 10% at a time, leave it a few days and see how that works and then increase again if necessary. If you are increasing your daytime dose then I personally consider decreasing my evening one because there is overlap and the increased day time dose could cause you to hypo overnight if you keep the same night time dose, but I would look at my overnight graph and see if levels were also rising throughout the night or if they were dropping slightly or staying the same.
I had the same thing yesterday, i took about 8 units before food, my levels where low at the time but as i skipped breakfast and lunch at work, i had a little extra to eat for dinner around 6. As far as i know, the total carbs would have been around 7 units if correct (1 unit per carb i was told by multiple nurses). I wasn't able to scan the results at the time when i was about to eat as the new sensor was still booting up. However, when i did a finger test, it was in the 5 area and when the sensor did start up, it was 6. At first everything seemed ok, but then the results went up and up until i decided to take a quick dose to get it down. Then again it started to go up again so i took another does of the quick to get it down. Just as i was about to go to bed, my readings started to go down pretty fast so i had some milk to get it up again and when it leveled out to ok levels (7), it was only when i tested this morning that it was 16 or higher. I did have 20 units of the slow before bed around 8pm and 20 around 8am the other morning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240627_064600.jpg
    Screenshot_20240627_064600.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240627_064515.jpg
    Screenshot_20240627_064515.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240627_064506.jpg
    Screenshot_20240627_064506.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240627_064501.jpg
    Screenshot_20240627_064501.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 4
These are my results from the 25th. I can't remember if i took 10 or 20 units the night before until i went back to 20 again. I think i had soup that night (24th) and skipped breakfast on the 25th.

For the readings 10.7 at 11am i left a note saying i haven't eaten since yesterday as my results randomly went up from 9.7 to 10.7.

For 9.3 at 12.12 i had a mug shot, a little big of salad and 2 slices of bread and i took as far as i remember 6 units of the quick which i sadly didn't leave a note with the readings about it. As time passed on, i left a note saying i took another 6 units when the readings went to 17.5 which by that time i was at work and by 4.20pm it was 22.1. Around that time i took around 6/8 units of the quick to get it down, i skipped break to avoid having my levels go up any higher and from 4pm onwards i didn't have anything until i think it was 11pm onwards when i got home from work. I took 20units that night and my next readings around 6am was 13.1.

The carb for the mug shot was 43.4g per sachet. It's possible the bread and butter was the cause, but who knows.

I don't smoke, i don't drink, i've not had any fizzy drinks in ages. I barely have the milk as i don't drink tea or coffee and skipped breakfast. I only ever buy the small/medium cartons in case i never use it. I do have the sugar free water that's flavoured which i guess could make the levels go up slightly with possible sweetner in it i.e strawberry and kiwi water etc. I've not had squash since the beginning of the year and the food will differ as well. If i have porridge, i did use water instead of milk (tasted awful) and i don't add sugar to it and i might add a little bit of blackberries or rasberries to it, but not much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240627_063156.jpg
    Screenshot_20240627_063156.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240627_063141.jpg
    Screenshot_20240627_063141.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1
at 12.12 i had a mug shot, a little big of salad and 2 slices of bread and i took as far as i remember 6 units of the quick

If the mugshot was approx 43g carbs, how many carbs was the bread? Not only that, the suggestion of 1 unit of insulin per 10g carbs is a starting place. Many people need more, or less, than 1:10g.

I think you are going to find it hard to determine what works best for you when you have such an erratic pattern of eating/not eating as your body doesn't know whether it is coming or going.
Can you stick to some sort of routine until you get a better handle on what is going on then you can make changes if you want.

Or use something like XDrip+ and log when and how many carbs you're eating and likewise insulin, it makes it much easier to review what you're doing as you can see an approximate quantity of carbs that still need to be absorbed and likewise how much bolus (fast) insulin remains active in your system and a projection of the combination's effect on your BG. Stacking insulin corrections is otherwise quite tricky and can result in overcorrections quite easily.

I do think eating something to prevent you liver from releasing glucose is probably a good call, even if it's not much. I go high in the morning (foot-on-the-floor) but keep going high if I don't whack in some insulin and eat something. If I just drink coffee all morning waiting for it to come down with a smaller dose, it never does.

Back