high sugar levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toffee1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can someone please advise me of what I should do if my Glucose is too high. I'm type 2 and take metformin and Empagliflozin. when I check my blood it is very rarely under 10. Today it was 32 and I got such a fright. i didn't feel unwell at all but I dont really know if I should have taken any action. it is sitting at 19 at the moment.

Make sure you are drinking plenty as the Empagliflozin works by flushing excess glucose from your system so important to make sure you stay well hydrated. There are many things which can increase your blood glucose, infection, stress, what you have eaten, but 32 is very high and you should check for ketones if you have some urine dip sticks, if you haven't it would be wise to try to get some from the pharmacy asap.
If your level stays as high as 19 then you would be wise to ring 111 and ask for advise.

Can you think of any foods you have eaten which could have pushed your level so high.
If your levels are normally sitting at 10 or more then you might want to review your diet and the amount of carbohydrates you are having.

Having just seen your previous posts, it appears you have a major issue regarding high blood sugars and it's been going on for a few years now. Which would suggest you need an urgent review of your medication and or lifestyle.
So firstly are you sure you are actually type2?
Secondly what are you eating?

I ate porridge this morning then brown bread with banana for lunch. I think I might ring the doctor on Monday. I will go to the chemist tomorrow morning and see if they have urine dipsticks. Thanks for your advice.

I ate porridge this morning then brown bread with banana for lunch. I think I might ring the doctor on Monday. I will go to the chemist tomorrow morning and see if they have urine dipsticks. Thanks for your advice.
Those foods you have eaten could well explain your high glucose level, porridge, high carb, bread, high carb, banana, very high carb. In fact all carbs no protein or veg or healthy fats.
So if that is typical of what you are eating then a dietary rethink would be a good idea, no good taking meds to try and help your body cope with carbs and still piling carbs in.
Good idea to contact your doctor, but if your levels stay so high then do contact 111.
This link may help you see where you can make some dietary changes. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Having just seen your previous posts, it appears you have a major issue regarding high blood sugars and it's been going on for a few years now. Which would suggest you need an urgent review of your medication and or lifestyle.
So firstly are you sure you are actually type2?
Secondly what are you eating?
When I was first diagnosed I was prescribed metformin. There came a point when I noticed a rise in sugar levels and spoke with GP about my concerns. She took a blood sample and then added in Empagliflozin. I've been taking both these meds for about a year now. I am now just noticing these changes in sugar levels again. I do keep a close eye on what I'm eating. I really do my best to minimize carb intake.

I do keep a close eye on what I'm eating. I really do my best to minimize carb intake.
So what exactly are you eating?
I see you mentioned brown bread and a banana, that's not ideal is it as laden with carbs.

When I was first diagnosed I was prescribed metformin. There came a point when I noticed a rise in sugar levels and spoke with GP about my concerns. She took a blood sample and then added in Empagliflozin. I've been taking both these meds for about a year now. I am now just noticing these changes in sugar levels again. I do keep a close eye on what I'm eating. I really do my best to minimize carb intake.
I think you might be underestimating just how many carbs you are having as the carbs in what you had in just a few hours would be pretty close to what many would have in a day. The suggested amount is no more than 130g per day.

Those foods you have eaten could well explain your high glucose level, porridge, high carb, bread, high carb, banana, very high carb. In fact all carbs no protein or veg or healthy fats.
So if that is typical of what you are eating then a dietary rethink would be a good idea, no good taking meds to try and help your body cope with carbs and still piling carbs in.
Good idea to contact your doctor, but if your levels stay so high then do contact 111.
This link may help you see where you can make some dietary changes. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Thanks for the link. I will definitely have a look at that. Maybe I need to enhance my understanding of carbs. I just thought that porridge and brown bread were slow burning and better for me.

Thanks for the link. I will definitely have a look at that. Maybe I need to enhance my understanding of carbs. I just thought that porridge and brown bread were slow burning and better for me.
Have you got a home testing blood glucose monitor as you would find that very useful to be able to test the effect of foods on your blood glucose by testing before you eat and after 2 hours aiming at an increase of no more than 2-3 mmol/ l and as levels come down then no more than 8-8.5mmol/l. I would suspect with something like bread and a banana the increase would be more like 5 mmol/l so you are overloading your system with high carb foods. Regardless of whether they release more slowly they still convert to the same amount of glucose.
Most GPs will not prescribe monitors so people self fund. Inexpensive ones can be bought on line, the GlucoNavii and Spirit TEE2 are ones with the cheaper test strips but worth shopping around.

So what exactly are you eating?
I see you mentioned brown bread and a banana, that's not ideal is it as laden with carbs.
To be honest, I eat most of the things that I ate before. I don't buy biscuits, chocolate or sugary drinks. If I have pasta, rice or bread, it is brown and is now a much smaller portion. I am allergic to fruit and banana is the only one that I can eat but only have a small one once or twice a week. I do eat loads of veg but mainly with my main meal in the evening.

Have you got a home testing blood glucose monitor as you would find that very useful to be able to test the effect of foods on your blood glucose by testing before you eat and after 2 hours aiming at an increase of no more than 2-3 mmol/ l and as levels come down then no more than 8-8.5mmol/l. I would suspect with something like bread and a banana the increase would be more like 5 mmol/l so you are overloading your system with high carb foods. Regardless of whether they release more slowly they still convert to the same amount of glucose.
Most GPs will not prescribe monitors so people self fund. Inexpensive ones can be bought on line, the GlucoNavii and Spirit TEE2 are ones with the cheaper test strips but worth shopping around.
I use the GlucoNavii.

I use the GlucoNavii.
You would be wise to do some structured testing then so see if you are tolerating those meals as if you are because the increase in within the 2-3 mmol/l then there may be something else causing levels to still be so high.
That was a bit dim of me not to realise you had a monitor as you had mentioned what your level was today.

Has it now come down from the 19 you mentioned earlier.

I think you might be underestimating just how many carbs you are having as the carbs in what you had in just a few hours would be pretty close to what many would have in a day. The suggested amount is no more than 130g per day.
I honestly didn't realize that.

You would be wise to do some structured testing then so see if you are tolerating those meals as if you are because the increase in within the 2-3 mmol/l then there may be something else causing levels to still be so high.
That was a bit dim of me not to realise you had a monitor as you had mentioned what your level was today.

Has it now come down from the 19 you mentioned earlier.
I've just tested it now. its 22 at the moment. I haven't eaten since lunchtime because I was to worried about it increasing any further.

I've just tested it now. its 22 at the moment. I haven't eaten since lunchtime because I was to worried about it increasing any further.
I really think you should phone 111 and ask for advise as you have had high levels for quite a long time.

Have a look at this link so you are aware of the symptoms of DKA which is very serious and needs immediate attention. Do you have anyone with you.

I really think you should phone 111 and ask for advise as you have had high levels for quite a long time.

Have a look at this link so you are aware of the symptoms of DKA which is very serious and needs immediate attention. Do you have anyone with you.
yes I have my partner with me. We will call NHS 24 now. I really appreciate all the advice that you have given me tonight. thanks

I think you should suspect being a late onset T1 and not T2. I've been down that route and GPs can be very ignorant of that. Do ask to be referred to the diabetes clinic and to have the two tests for T1 i.e. GAD for antibodies and C-Peptide to measure your insulin level. In the meantime do get the carbs down to below something like 130 gm/day or less and, yes, bananas are a no-no as are most tropical fruits.

Sorry about the late reply. We did phone 111 but eventually gave up waiting for someone to phone back. I just made sure that I was drinking plenty of water. I have been back to the doctor and had blood taken the results of which are due back today. She said that she will phone me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back