High Protein Granola

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, saw this on Sainsbury's today, lower carb than Lizzie's and Lidl low sugar granolas.
IMG_20240716_185024769.jpgIMG_20240716_185044477.jpg

Hi all, saw this on Sainsbury's today, lower carb than Lizzie's and Lidl low sugar granolas.
View attachment 30902View attachment 30903
I have e-mailed Lizi's as I noticed that the carbs on the packet I buy from Costco is only 45g carbs per 100g whereas the one in the same looking packet from other supermarkets and LIzi's themselves is 57g carb per 100g so I was very puzzled. I have not yet had a response.
I have tried the M & S keto granola which is 8g per 100g and it was very good and cheaper than the Keto Hana one with similar carbs.

Hope you don't mind my asking why you are opting for a lower carb granola? I've just checked my favourite Lizis organic and although higher in carbs ,i can't help feeling the difference in a portion is very little. Does it really make a significant difference? Sadly this lizi is expensive but has simpler ingredients ie no fructose chemicals.

Attachments

• 20240716_224216.jpg
    20240716_224216.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240716_224253.jpg
    20240716_224253.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 9
Hope you don't mind my asking why you are opting for a lower carb granola? I've just checked my favourite Lizis organic and although higher in carbs ,i can't help feeling the difference in a portion is very little. Does it really make a significant difference? Sadly this lizi is expensive but has simpler ingredients ie no fructose chemicals.
For people who are Type 2 managing their condition by diet then a high carb breakfast cereal would be too many carbs to be tolerated especially in the morning when people are often less able to cope with carbs.

For people who are Type 2 managing their condition by diet then a high carb breakfast cereal would be too many carbs to be tolerated especially in the morning when people are often less able to cope with carbs.
Thank you for your explanation

@Martin62 ... just supposing you saw a brown paper packet and on the front it told you that inside was a mixture that was

......whole Grain Oat Flakes (41%), Textured Wheat Protein Product (Wheat Gluten, Wheat Flour), Glucose Syrup, Sunflower Oil, Oligofructose Syrup, Wheat Gluten, Sugar, Linseeds (1,5%), Pumpkin Seeds (1,5%), Freeze-Dried Blueberries (0.5%), Freeze-Dried Cranberry Pieces (0.5%), Freeze-Dried Strawberry Pieces (0.5%), Natural Flavouring, Vitamins (Niacin, Vitamin E, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Thiamin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12), Antioxidant:Tocopherol-Rich Extract....

would you buy that as a granola? I know I would not.

Mostly oats, some "textured wheat protein product" whatever that is, glucose syrup as the third ingredient, some other sugar, 3% fruit and nuts and some E numbers is what you are buying for your £6 or so a kilo - together with a bit of brand oriented marketing BS.

PS. The ingredient list is that for the "High Protein berry Granola" taken from the Sainsburys web site.

I find it hard to kick the breakfast cereal habit so information about lower carb content is very useful, thank you.

I find it hard to kick the breakfast cereal habit so information about lower carb content is very useful, thank you.
I have berries with full fat Greek yoghurt with just a small portion (20g) of a very low carb granola and that is satisfying for 5 hours until lunch.time.

Am likewise about Granola and have struggled to find a low carb one that I enjoy.
So I tend to have a lower portion of a 40g one as find the less ones more flakey ( I prefer more crunchy clusters) and really should make my own but just easier to buy.
Always load it with berries and nuts and do love my breakfasts

Am likewise about Granola and have struggled to find a low carb one that I enjoy.
So I tend to have a lower portion of a 40g one as find the less ones more flakey ( I prefer more crunchy clusters) and really should make my own but just easier to buy.
Always load it with berries and nuts and do love my breakfasts
Have you tried the M&S fruit and nut grain free one as recommended by @lucy which is very low carb, is less flaky and more clustery.

Have you tried the M&S fruit and nut grain free one as recommended by @lucy which is very low carb, is less flaky and more clustery.
LL yes have half a packet left now and it is fine ( but I prefer it almost all small clusters and I find the M&S one with the coconut flakes a cross between museli and granola.
I do not mind museli but hate the concentrated fruit bits but no matter thanks for suggestions.

At 47.4% carb that’s not really a low carb granola. It’s 6 times as high as the M&S one for example.

Attachments

• IMG_4301.png
    IMG_4301.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 10
I'm a fan of this one, but only one shovel full at a time. (Breakfast shovel size - 23gm)

Attachments

• IMG_6752.JPG
    IMG_6752.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 17
@Martin62 ... just supposing you saw a brown paper packet and on the front it told you that inside was a mixture that was

......whole Grain Oat Flakes (41%), Textured Wheat Protein Product (Wheat Gluten, Wheat Flour), Glucose Syrup, Sunflower Oil, Oligofructose Syrup, Wheat Gluten, Sugar, Linseeds (1,5%), Pumpkin Seeds (1,5%), Freeze-Dried Blueberries (0.5%), Freeze-Dried Cranberry Pieces (0.5%), Freeze-Dried Strawberry Pieces (0.5%), Natural Flavouring, Vitamins (Niacin, Vitamin E, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Thiamin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12), Antioxidant:Tocopherol-Rich Extract....

would you buy that as a granola? I know I would not.

Mostly oats, some "textured wheat protein product" whatever that is, glucose syrup as the third ingredient, some other sugar, 3% fruit and nuts and some E numbers is what you are buying for your £6 or so a kilo - together with a bit of brand oriented marketing BS.

PS. The ingredient list is that for the "High Protein berry Granola" taken from the Sainsburys web site.
Hi ,this isn't one I've bought, my wife picked it up for herself, I just shared it on here. I usually have the Lidl low sugar one with a big dollop of greek yoghurt or when it's on offer in Costco I stock up on the Lizzie's low sugar granola. I will be getting some of the m&s one the Lucy has recommended though.
Martin

I'm a fan of this one, but only one shovel full at a time. (Breakfast shovel size - 23gm)
I've just got some of this and tried it this morning. A 50g portion was remarkably well tolerated (BG was 6.0 before and 6.9 2hrs after), but I am on Metformin and Empagliflozin. Much better than some of the other low sugar granolas/mueslis, which mostly imho taste like the sweepings from the floor of the local timberyard.

You're doing better than I have. I reduced my intake from about 50gm to about 25gm as I was getting an 6.5 jumping to approx 9. I attribute some of it to not taking my Gliclazide/Metformin until Brekkers time (i.e. the same time as eating). Now I take the pills at about 6.30am and don't eat until 8am as well as only eating 25gm. 6.5 now goes to 8. I'm also trying to remember to have some fat and veg (cheese + toms) before the cereal as I read that should stretch out and reduce the increase.

Back