• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

hi

J47

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
thank you all for your responses,

I need to get a blood glucose reader

I just tried a 6 foot subway no cheese, (been very sensible all week) with multigran, veg, chicken and some veg, but it felt like it spiked me a little, so got on the treamill, again, which always seems to help lower it

am doing ok with brown, bread, shreddies, seemed ok, some milk, and also almond milk, cheese, eggs, mushrooms, etc, salads etc

need to go food shopping tommorrow and get some greek yoghurt and the recommended fruits, mixed nuts etc

have even had some bacon as it helps, with the workouts, when one is minimising carbs

I hate the idea, of not having cottage pie anymore though, or pasta

the brown rice in small serving with a low carb curry sauce, and chicken seemed ok

I even had a wimpy the other day and felt fine after that( and it included chips)

my disued treadmill has been a godsend, I have done like, 2hrs 30 mins, this week at a walking pace, with just a little brisk walking

tried my very old manual cross trainer, the other day, for 20 minutes, and that really helped

has anyone alternative recommendation other than the Gretchen Baxter book or has anyone read it, as I saw it recommended on the useful links section, IIRC, once again, thanks for all your responses

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
A 6 FOOT subway!!!
Not that I have ever eaten one myself - but yes, I think that would spike most people.

J47

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
does anyone eat just a bit of bacon for the protein, if your exercising regularly

I also wondered if anyone, had tried spag bol with limited beef and brown pasta ???

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Bacon and belly pork and 20%fat minced beef and lamb mince and lamb chops and other fatty cuts of meat feature on my menu along with cream and cheese quite frequently because I follow a low carb high fat way of eating to control my BG levels and hence diabetes management. What I don't eat is pasta, even wholewheat/brown pasta, or bread or other grain products, except maybe a very small portion of rice (2 dessert spoons with a Chinese takeaway). I would have Konjac noodles or spiralized courgette instead of spaghetti.

I am guessing you are following standard low fat, wholegrain carbs, NHS advice..... which sadly is considered by many of us to be a bit out of date for dealing with Type 2 diabetes.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Seriously, it doesn't have to be like this!
My first 6 weeks felt like that and were like eating cardboard, until I started to look for the low carb foods/treats which would make my menu enjoyable again without spiking my BG levels. The big turning point for me was accepting that fat was not the enemy and should be an important part of my diet, despite the NHS low fat advice. I now start my day with a cup of coffee with double cream and often end it with a small glass of red or port with a chunk of nice cheese. Hard to feel too deprived when you begin and end the day like that.
It has involved experimenting and trying new foods and learning how to cook new things in different ways but I enjoy my food now and wouldn't go back to my old way of eating even though I could.
A good selection of edible insects can be had from Crunchy Critters.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A good selection of edible insects can be had from Crunchy Critters.
@£8.49 for a 20g packet or £424.50/kg!!!! I think I will stick to pork scratchings as my snack of choice/guilty pleasure thanks! Really can't see anyone seriously buying them at that price other than as a joke and I certainly don't have that sort of money to waste!

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@£8.49 for a 20g packet or £424.50/kg!!!! I think I will stick to pork scratchings as my snack of choice/guilty pleasure thanks! Really can't see anyone seriously buying them at that price other than as a joke and I certainly don't have that sort of money to waste!
It was a joke!!!!. I used to buy them for an undergraduate project. Nobody actually dared to try one, just mushed them up to see what bacteria they had in them.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If they had been "cheap as chips" I wouldn't have been averse to trying them. You never know till you give them a go! Some things like snails I would probably struggle with.... maybe a texture thing... but I really love crunchy foods, so these might be right up my street if they weren't more expensive than the best prime fillet steak!

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I found a small swift on the ground and bought it live food - that was an expensive little bird - I did catch lots of flies as well and froze them to try to ensure it was well fed. They only weigh a few ounces when they fledge, and then they fly to Africa.