Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there, new to this forum. diagnosed with T2 30 months ago, sugars at 79. lost 10 kg in 5 months, sugars came down to 45. However, since then i have lapsed, now back up to 65. I'm on slow release metformin (the other one gave me bad side effects) and another medicine that makes my kidneys take more sugar away, i forget the name. Desperately want to get into remission and come of medications, but find i like "bad" foods too much, so need a tonne of willpower !

Hi there, new to this forum. diagnosed with T2 30 months ago, sugars at 79. lost 10 kg in 5 months, sugars came down to 45. However, since then i have lapsed, now back up to 65. I'm on slow release metformin (the other one gave me bad side effects) and another medicine that makes my kidneys take more sugar away, i forget the name. Desperately want to get into remission and come of medications, but find i like "bad" foods too much, so need a tonne of willpower !
Welcome to the forum, you have done it once so you can do so again. I suspect the additional medication is something like dapagliflozin which as you say helps the kidneys remove excess glucose so it is important you drink plenty of fluids.
Because of that medication it is advised to go cautiously with a low carb dietary approach which is a shame as low carb has proven to be very successful for many people. Keeping on the higher side of low carb i.e. around 130g per day should be a safe option but do check with your nurse or GP.
Whatever approach you choose has to be enjoyable otherwise it is not sustainable, it has to become a new way of eating for life rather than a short term fix.
Have a look at this link for some ideas for making some changes to your diet to get you back on track. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

HI, and welcome. Shame that you've gone into reverse as you were well on track for remission (no signs, no symptoms, no meds). However, at least having got your BG down below diabetes level once you know what's needed. Willpower played a big part for me, but wanting to avoid diabetes complications was an even bigger incentive (and still is).

Welcome to the forum, you have done it once so you can do so again. I suspect the additional medication is something like dapagliflozin which as you say helps the kidneys remove excess glucose so it is important you drink plenty of fluids.
Because of that medication it is advised to go cautiously with a low carb dietary approach which is a shame as low carb has proven to be very successful for many people. Keeping on the higher side of low carb i.e. around 130g per day should be a safe option but do check with your nurse or GP.
Whatever approach you choose has to be enjoyable otherwise it is not sustainable, it has to become a new way of eating for life rather than a short term fix.
Have a look at this link for some ideas for making some changes to your diet to get you back on track. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Hi there, its Empaglifozin, just checked the packet 🙂. why do i need to go cautiously with carb cutting ? Thank you for the link.

Welcome to the forum @DSM

Glad you have found us, and great to hear that you’d like to get things back on track again. Did you gain back much of the weight you had lost?

I wonder if it might be possible to find a middle-ground way of eating that is more sustainable for you longer-term - the weight loss might be slower, but perhaps there would be less of a feeling of “can’t wait for this to finish to that I can get back to eating x…” and perhaps see the new diet as something of a more permanent change?

lost 10kg, put 8kg back on, now lost 3kg so 5 kg down since diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back