Hi there everyone.....I'm new to this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST222

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good morning lovely people, I am new to this forum and I would like some advice please.
I have Type 2 diabetes and in recent months my blood sugar readings have remained high though I was in a very stressful situation for several weeks which the Dr blamed for it. However, I can't seem to bring my levels down now the stress has eased. Metformin gave me terrible problems and the Dr only recently decided to try me on the slow-release medication which has eased things. However, my blood sugar levels are still a bit high and my problem is this: I used to have a banana for breakfast then take my meds. I have been told that banana is not good for people with diabetes. I like porridge but not the plain one and I am worried about cereals. In a nutshell and for a while now, I have not been having breakfast and therefore mucking up my meds routine (which could explain a lot)!
Could someone please, please tell me what I can have for breakfast as it is all driving me nuts?
Many thanks and best wishes. Sue

Hi and welcome
I had this same dilemma when I was first diagnosed back in Feb and I didn't really see any progress until I finally ditched my porridge.
I find an omelette for breakfast is the best way to keep my blood glucose low and stable. I particularly like mushrooms in it which are fine for diabetics and/or peppers/onion/bacon/cheese/aubergine even and best to have it with a green salad and avocado to make it as healthy as possible. A fried breakfast minus any sort of bread or hash browns will also work and again try to make it more nutritious by including salad leaves. When you are cutting so much out of your diet as a diabetic, it helps to feel spoilt if slightly decadent at the start of the day and a good breakfast sets you up well. I usually just pick at nuts or a chunk of cheese or some Greek yoghurt and berries at lunchtime and have a proper meal with meat or fish and a small portion of potatoes or pasta and lots of veg in the evening.
Good luck getting things under control.

Hi, Sue and welcome.

Bananas are not great as the sugar content is quite high. I would never eat a whole one.

There's plenty of dietary advice on the site so take a look. Breakfast is a challenge as most cereals are off the menu on account of their sugar content.

Martin

Actually, the sugar can sometimes be the least of your worries with cereals. The complex carbs (starches) in the grains will raise my BG and keep it high for half the day, long after the sugars have spiked and gone.

There are low carbohydrate breads available and toast made from these with peanut butter or Marmite are other options for a quicker breakfast when you don't have time to get the frying pan out.

Be aware that some people get a spike from eggs too, so getting a Blood Glucose Meter and testing is the best way to figure out what works for you. We are all different and what works for one person may not work for someone else.

Hello Sue and welcome to the forum. Fried eggs and bacon is what I would recommend. Yum. 🙂

Some people can eat a fair few carbs and not spike, but I am not one of them. I bought a meter to test my blood glucose levels and soon abandoned all grains, potatoes, ordinary bread, starchy veges and sugary fruits.
I had to exclude legumes as they spike me too, so rather than take advice you do need to test after eating to ensure you know what you can tolerate.

Welcome to the forum @ST222 . Good to have you on board, and I hope that you can find any information that you need. No questions are considered silly on here so whatever you need to know just ask.

You will already have seen that people react to different carbs foods in different ways, and each of us has to find out what works for us. Many find that the best way to do that is to test. Unfortunately many people with T2 are not able to get their strips funded on the NHS. The cheapest meter that others have mentioned is
SD Codefree Meter which has test strips at around £8 for 50. This is available online.

This article may be of help in how to make the most of any testing that you do
Test,Review, Adjust by Alan S
Also, because if you have to self-fund you want to make those test strips count:
Testing on a budget

I hope that this helps. Come back with any further questions.

Hello @ST222 welcome to the forum.🙂 I follow a regime of low carbs vegetable wise, also eat good quality meats and fish. I only learned to adapt through the forum to bring my HbA1c down from 156 < 48 in 3 months, now average 38/39. You do not need to skip breakfast cereals and milk can increase BSL its an individual decision and the only way you will know is to finger prick test just before your food and a couple of hours after. Its a good idea to post your result on the very first test in the morning assuming as you know your BSL`s are high are testing.. https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/group-7-day-waking-average.20148/unread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back