Hi from Oxford

Wayne Rushen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Recently diagnosed with type 2
Can any one recommend a app for sugar/ carb counting
I must admit I’m struggling with the dietary aspect due to different health problems

Any advice will be gratefully received
Thank you

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Wayne Rushen . Sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis, there is a lot to get your head round at the start.

Carbs are what will become glucose once inside you, so it is great that you are looking to carb count. The only app that I use is Carbs and Cals when I am out and about. It includes photos of portions sizes, and includes a variety of set meals. At home we calculate our carbs by weighing raw ingredients and doing a bit of calculating. It is surprising how quickly you become familiar with the carb count of many things.

I am aware that there are more recent apps, some which can use the QR code in packages and then tell you the carbs.

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Wayne Rushen and welcome to the forum.
It can be quite a shock being diagnosed with Type 2. Diabetes is a serious disease, but it can be positively managed and in many circumstances, you can do a lot to help yourself.

Regarding apps, some forum members use Mysugr.
Personally I find it easier to use a simple spreadsheet to keep a carb tally and use the Carbs and Cal book as a guide to carb values.

Reducing carb intake is what many of us have found to be a good solution to getting blood sugar levels down.
If you are happy to tell us about the other health problems that are making the dietary aspects difficult, then we may be able to help with some pointers.

For more general information 'useful-links-for-people-new-to-diabetes' at the head of the Newbies section may be worth a look, and also the Learning Zone Orange tab at the top of the page has some useful guides.

Hope you will keep posting and let us know how it is going and we will always try to answer any questions.

Wayne Rushen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for your help and advice

my other health problem is BPH so a high protein diet is not helpful to this

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi and welcome from me too

I am not sure any of us would necessarily recommend a high protein diet for diabetes anyway. Some might suggest you can eat more protein to replace the carbs but most of us cut back on our carbs and just eat a bit more fat but keep the protein the same. The Low Carb, Higher Fat or LCHF way of eating is probably the most preferred and successful way of managing diabetes through diet here on the forum and on a long term basis, it is reasonably sustainable from the point of view of being relatively easy to stick to once you get the hang of it.
If you read around the forum a bit I am sure you will get the idea but if you find you don't understand anything, just ask.

What medication, if any have you been given for diabetes and do you know your HbA1c result? This is the blood test result that they use to diagnose diabetes and will usually be a number of 48 or higher. It gives you and us an idea of where on the diabetic scale you are, so that we can give more appropriate advice.

Wayne Rushen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome from me too

I am not sure any of us would necessarily recommend a high protein diet for diabetes anyway. Some might suggest you can eat more protein to replace the carbs but most of us cut back on our carbs and just eat a bit more fat but keep the protein the same. The Low Carb, Higher Fat or LCHF way of eating is probably the most preferred and successful way of managing diabetes through diet here on the forum and on a long term basis, it is reasonably sustainable from the point of view of being relatively easy to stick to once you get the hang of it.
If you read around the forum a bit I am sure you will get the idea but if you find you don't understand anything, just ask.

What medication, if any have you been given for diabetes and do you know your HbA1c result? This is the blood test result that they use to diagnose diabetes and will usually be a number of 48 or higher. It gives you and us an idea of where on the diabetic scale you are, so that we can give more appropriate advice.
Firstly- thank you all for your assistance and advice

my HbA1c - 63mmol/mol
Currently on 150ml metaformin - 1 tablet each meal

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Re BPH - have you heard of the new Rezum treatment? - so much less invasive and far less scary than TURP - and now available in 18 different centres all over England! (Nearest for us is Warwick Hospital.)

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
63 isn't too bad, so that is a positive. Quite a few of us were close to, or over, the 3 figure mark and got things back down with the advice of this forum and the right management strategy for us as individuals. Figuring that out takes a bit of trial and error and time and effort but we are here to help point you in the right direction.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Wayne Rushen

Hope you find a way of eating that suits you. :)

I’ve not really used any food tracking apps (I usemysugr for bg and doses). Some members have mentioned ‘my fitness pal’ over the years?