Hi everyone. Diagnosed type 2 in April (week before my 30th) and feel like I’m drowning

Laurengemm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone! As the title says, I was diagnosed with type 2 in April. The week before my 30th birthday. Boo. I’m really overwhelmed just now.. I think I’ve been sort of burying my head in the sand since I was diagnosed but over the last month I seem to be having what I now think are hypos almost every day. I feel like I’m being really silly saying that but it’s hellish. I’ve got an appointment with my GP over the phone today but just don’t know where to begin. Everything just feels like one big messy loop and I feel like I’m doing everything wrong and making it all worse despite putting effort in. Very grateful to be able to read everyone’s experiences.

Hello everyone! As the title says, I was diagnosed with type 2 in April. The week before my 30th birthday. Boo. I’m really overwhelmed just now.. I think I’ve been sort of burying my head in the sand since I was diagnosed but over the last month I seem to be having what I now think are hypos almost every day. I feel like I’m being really silly saying that but it’s hellish. I’ve got an appointment with my GP over the phone today but just don’t know where to begin. Everything just feels like one big messy loop and I feel like I’m doing everything wrong and making it all worse despite putting effort in. Very grateful to be able to read everyone’s experiences.
Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of helpful information here. But first of all you need to calm down and tackle this day at a time. Stress only makes the matter worse.
A bit of information will help us help you. So do you know what your HbA1C was when you had your diagnosis and were you given any medication and did you make any changes to your diet as those factors may explain what you are feeling now.
The symptoms of high blood glucose are quite similar to low blood glucose so it easy to confuse what is causing feeling unwell. Without being able to test your blood glucose with a home monitor and test strips from a finger prick blood sample it is hard to tell.
I had been prediabetic and had a monitor and I felt unwell, dizzy and queasy and thought it may have been low blood glucose but when I tested it was actually high. So I contacted the GP and they did an HbA1C and indeed I was just over the threshold for diagnosis at 50mmol/mol. I immediately started a low carb regime based on the information in this link and reduced my HbA1C to 42 in 3 months with no meds. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
I suggest you have a read of this to see if this approach would suit you but also ask for a repeat HbA1C as it was more than 3 months since your last one as it will tell you where you are now.

Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of helpful information here. But first of all you need to calm down and tackle this day at a time. Stress only makes the matter worse.
A bit of information will help us help you. So do you know what your HbA1C was when you had your diagnosis and were you given any medication and did you make any changes to your diet as those factors may explain what you are feeling now.
The symptoms of high blood glucose are quite similar to low blood glucose so it easy to confuse what is causing feeling unwell. Without being able to test your blood glucose with a home monitor and test strips from a finger prick blood sample it is hard to tell.
I had been prediabetic and had a monitor and I felt unwell, dizzy and queasy and thought it may have been low blood glucose but when I tested it was actually high. So I contacted the GP and they did an HbA1C and indeed I was just over the threshold for diagnosis at 50mmol/mol. I immediately started a low carb regime based on the information in this link and reduced my HbA1C to 42 in 3 months with no meds. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
I suggest you have a read of this to see if this approach would suit you but also ask for a repeat HbA1C as it was more than 3 months since your last one as it will tell you where you are now.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I definitely struggle with reducing my stress levels so I appreciate the reassurance.
My initial glucose was 15.4.. then went for fasting bloods which came back over 11 (apologies, I’ve not written any units or accurate info for anything) and also had HbA1C which I’ve written was also “over 9” if that’s any use to you? I feel so stupid! I was prescribed 500mg metformin twice a day. I’ve made some basic sort of changes to my diet.. brown bread/rice/pasta instead of white, changed to sweeteners (for the most part), cut out fizzy juice as I was a cola fiend. didn’t want to try and take on too much at once as carbs have my heart so thought id tackle that first.
I’m currently looking into getting a home monitor as I think this would really, really help me figure out what I’m doing or need to be doing just now.. again just not sure where to start.
I’ll have a look at the link you’ve given me, thank you so much! Did you find the monitor a big help in the beginning?

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I definitely struggle with reducing my stress levels so I appreciate the reassurance.
My initial glucose was 15.4.. then went for fasting bloods which came back over 11 (apologies, I’ve not written any units or accurate info for anything) and also had HbA1C which I’ve written was also “over 9” if that’s any use to you? I feel so stupid! I was prescribed 500mg metformin twice a day. I’ve made some basic sort of changes to my diet.. brown bread/rice/pasta instead of white, changed to sweeteners (for the most part), cut out fizzy juice as I was a cola fiend. didn’t want to try and take on too much at once as carbs have my heart so thought id tackle that first.
I’m currently looking into getting a home monitor as I think this would really, really help me figure out what I’m doing or need to be doing just now.. again just not sure where to start.
I’ll have a look at the link you’ve given me, thank you so much! Did you find the monitor a big help in the beginning?
OK, a bit of interpretation of your numbers as units are important, the 15.4 and 11 I think will be mmol/l which would have been from a finger prick test and gives you a moment in time which will be influenced mainly by what you eat, stress, exercise as well as a few other things.
The over 9 for your HbA1C will be % which is the old (very old) way of giving the result, 9% converts to 75mmol/mol so you are well into the diabetes zone as over 47mmol/mol is the threshold.
It would be usual with those levels to prescribe medication, metformin helps the body use the insulin it produces more effectively and reduces the release of glucose by the liver, however dietary changes are also needed.
Your change to brown versions of bread, pasta, rice actually is no help as they are just as high carb as the white version and there is no issue for most people with diet Coke.
I absolutely found a monitor fundamental in both allowing me to have foods which I may have otherwise rejected as well as those to avoid.
Do have a look at the link as it should give you a good idea of where to start.

Hi and welcome.

Can you tell us a bit about how you came to be diagnosed? Was it just picked up via a routine blood test or were you visiting the doctor because you had symptoms and if so, which symptoms?
At 30 you are quite young to develop Type 2 diabetes. Do you have any risk factors like being particularly overweight and/or having close relatives with diabetes? The reason I ask is that diabetes is diagnosed via an HbA1c test and anything above 48mmols gets you a diabetes diagnosis BUT the TYPE of diabetes is pretty much guess work on the part of the doctor or nurse. 90% of people with diabetes are Type 2, so it is very "easy" to just assume most patients will be Type 2 particularly if they are adults and perhaps carrying a bit or a lot of excess weight, but that assumption can sometimes be incorrect and the patient can have one of the less common types of diabetes and there are a few, not just Type 1 or Type 2. There are tests for Type 1 but they are quite expensive and not normally done. If your levels are very high and remain high or go higher despite Type 2 meds and dietary changes, then it is important to push for additional testing. I would hope that you will be having a follow up appointment soon anyway, to check your HbA1c again if you were diagnosed in April to assess how you are getting on but you are right to puch for an appointment with the GP if you feel awful.

As mentioned by @Leadinglights some of the symptoms of very high BG (hypers) can be similar to being too low (hypos) Generally with diabetes, it is the medication which makes you go too low and only certain medications. Diabetes itself makes your levels high. Metformin is not a medication which can make you hypo, so it would be extremely unusual for you to be experiencing hypos with your current treatment. Being able to test your blood glucose (BG) when you feel unwell would be really useful in being able to assess if your diabetes is responsible for these episodes or if your GP needs to look for other causes. You could certainly ask for a testing kit in this situation, but your GP is not obliged to supply home testing, so if they say "no" you may need to consider self funding for home testing. The two meters most frequently recommended for reliability and economy of use are the Spirit Healthcare Tee2 and the Gluco Navii which are both available to buy online. You only get 10 test strips with the meter, so you would be well advised to purchase at least one or more extra pots of 50 test strips for whichever meter you choose (test strips are individual to the make of meter) You will most likely waste a few learning how to test, so the 10 in the kit will be gone in no time. There will also be 10 lancets in the kit. These are "supposed" to be single use, but many of us use them multiple times, but if you are a really scrupulous person and want to follow the advice of single use, you will need an extra box of lancets too. I change my lancet annually on St Swithin's Day as do many others here(we have a St Swithin's day club), so the single use advice is taken with a pinch of salt by many of us, provided we only use the lancet on ourselves. From time to time most of us end up testing friends and family out of curiosity or as a result of health concerns and then a new, sterile lancet should always be used, but you can go back to using your old one afterwards if you choose, but not the one used on the other person to prevent cross blood contamination.

Anyway, good luck with your phone appointment and perhaps ask for a repeat HbA1c as well as testing kit.... You can only ask!!

If you can provide more info about how your diagnosis came about and the symptoms you experienced then (if any) and are experiencing now with these episodes, then it might give us a bit more insight into your particular situation. Things of relevance would be any unintended or easy weight loss or having gall bladder issues or pain in your upper abdomen going through to your back as these might suggest other types of diabetes than Type 2 and need more investigation.

Hi and welcome.

Can you tell us a bit about how you came to be diagnosed? Was it just picked up via a routine blood test or were you visiting the doctor because you had symptoms and if so, which symptoms?
At 30 you are quite young to develop Type 2 diabetes. Do you have any risk factors like being particularly overweight and/or having close relatives with diabetes? The reason I ask is that diabetes is diagnosed via an HbA1c test and anything above 48mmols gets you a diabetes diagnosis BUT the TYPE of diabetes is pretty much guess work on the part of the doctor or nurse. 90% of people with diabetes are Type 2, so it is very "easy" to just assume most patients will be Type 2 particularly if they are adults and perhaps carrying a bit or a lot of excess weight, but that assumption can sometimes be incorrect and the patient can have one of the less common types of diabetes and there are a few, not just Type 1 or Type 2. There are tests for Type 1 but they are quite expensive and not normally done. If your levels are very high and remain high or go higher despite Type 2 meds and dietary changes, then it is important to push for additional testing. I would hope that you will be having a follow up appointment soon anyway, to check your HbA1c again if you were diagnosed in April to assess how you are getting on but you are right to puch for an appointment with the GP if you feel awful.

As mentioned by @Leadinglights some of the symptoms of very high BG (hypers) can be similar to being too low (hypos) Generally with diabetes, it is the medication which makes you go too low and only certain medications. Diabetes itself makes your levels high. Metformin is not a medication which can make you hypo, so it would be extremely unusual for you to be experiencing hypos with your current treatment. Being able to test your blood glucose (BG) when you feel unwell would be really useful in being able to assess if your diabetes is responsible for these episodes or if your GP needs to look for other causes. You could certainly ask for a testing kit in this situation, but your GP is not obliged to supply home testing, so if they say "no" you may need to consider self funding for home testing. The two meters most frequently recommended for reliability and economy of use are the Spirit Healthcare Tee2 and the Gluco Navii which are both available to buy online. You only get 10 test strips with the meter, so you would be well advised to purchase at least one or more extra pots of 50 test strips for whichever meter you choose (test strips are individual to the make of meter) You will most likely waste a few learning how to test, so the 10 in the kit will be gone in no time. There will also be 10 lancets in the kit. These are "supposed" to be single use, but many of us use them multiple times, but if you are a really scrupulous person and want to follow the advice of single use, you will need an extra box of lancets too. I change my lancet annually on St Swithin's Day as do many others here(we have a St Swithin's day club), so the single use advice is taken with a pinch of salt by many of us, provided we only use the lancet on ourselves. From time to time most of us end up testing friends and family out of curiosity or as a result of health concerns and then a new, sterile lancet should always be used, but you can go back to using your old one afterwards if you choose, but not the one used on the other person to prevent cross blood contamination.

Anyway, good luck with your phone appointment and perhaps ask for a repeat HbA1c as well as testing kit.... You can only ask!!

If you can provide more info about how your diagnosis came about and the symptoms you experienced then (if any) and are experiencing now with these episodes, then it might give us a bit more insight into your particular situation. Things of relevance would be any unintended or easy weight loss or having gall bladder issues or pain in your upper abdomen going through to your back as these might suggest other types of diabetes than Type 2 and need more investigation.
Interesting you say the tests are expensive, I was reading something from the NICE guidelines which quoted the cost of the antibody tests as being £29 and if there was any doubt about a diabetes type diagnosis it was more cost effective to do the test than have people on an incorrect medication regime.

@Leadinglights Thanks for that. It is really interesting to hear as I was not aware of the actual cost to the NHS and those charges occasionally quoted by people having them done privately are significantly higher, although perhaps that includes the consultation fee. I guess it was an assumption on my part to explain the reluctance to do it.
Many GPs seem to be really resistant to doing the tests and perhaps not sufficiently experienced to interpret the results and make a Type 1 diagnosis, particularly if they are borderline, as is sometimes the case.
If there is minimal cost then all the more reason to push for it, IF there are question marks over the diagnosis. Such a shame that it isn't considered early on in diagnosis for more people.

OK, a bit of interpretation of your numbers as units are important, the 15.4 and 11 I think will be mmol/l which would have been from a finger prick test and gives you a moment in time which will be influenced mainly by what you eat, stress, exercise as well as a few other things.
The over 9 for your HbA1C will be % which is the old (very old) way of giving the result, 9% converts to 75mmol/mol so you are well into the diabetes zone as over 47mmol/mol is the threshold.
It would be usual with those levels to prescribe medication, metformin helps the body use the insulin it produces more effectively and reduces the release of glucose by the liver, however dietary changes are also needed.
Your change to brown versions of bread, pasta, rice actually is no help as they are just as high carb as the white version and there is no issue for most people with diet Coke.
I absolutely found a monitor fundamental in both allowing me to have foods which I may have otherwise rejected as well as those to avoid.
Do have a look at the link as it should give you a good idea of where to start.
Thanks so much for helping! I see my diabetes nurse again soon so will ask her for confirmation. The 15.4 and 11 were from blood tests though if that helps at all? Not from finger prick tests.
Thats great thank you.. I'm no longer burying my head in the sand so welcome all the information I can get!
I got myself a finger prick monitor yesterday so that's been interesting so far.. just now trying to get myself educated on what the readings actually mean and what measures to take to tackle these.

Hi and welcome.

Hi, thank you!

So I was initially visiting the GP for excessive sweating as well as constant, intense vertigo which I'd had for about 3 weeks at this point. The sweating has been an issue since I started psychiatric meds about 10 years ago. I had blood taken after this appt and then fasting bloods and HbA1c.
That's absolutely fascinating, I had no idea this was a thing! I'd always been average weight but gained about 5 stone within a year about 7 years ago due to the antipsychotics I was taking. This got me to around 13 stone but then lost this again around a year later. Stayed between 9-11st until 2020 where I had a very bad reaction to different meds and was essentially bed bound for over a year. Got up to 14st in this time. The 2 years after this was spent trying to recover from the brain damage which was rough and I wasnt able to do much at all physically so I was VERY unfit. I was 18st when I got weighed in May and am down 1.5st since then.
No immediate family history of diabetes. One uncle with type 1 and a cousin also type 1.
You've been so informative I cant thank you enough!! I did end up buying myself a meter yesterday (and plenty spare strips & lancets too, thankfully, because as you said it took some getting used to) and as you and @Leadinglights suggested, my readings have been on the high end if anything. 8.5 2hrs after my dinner last night and then 8.3 after I'd ended up having to haul my couch around the room to find something I'd dropped down the side which made me pant & sweat. Had read about exercise causing different levels and I know that this doesnt count as exercise but I was curious lol!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for helping! I see my diabetes nurse again soon so will ask her for confirmation. The 15.4 and 11 were from blood tests though if that helps at all? Not from finger prick tests.
Thats great thank you.. I'm no longer burying my head in the sand so welcome all the information I can get!
I got myself a finger prick monitor yesterday so that's been interesting so far.. just now trying to get myself educated on what the readings actually mean and what measures to take to tackle these.
Confirming the units for those numbers will be very helpful for people and will put into context the numbers you will get from your newly purchased monitor which will be in mmol/l.
You certainly have have had not a good time of it over the last few years but getting blood glucose levels sorted out will help I'm sure.

my readings have been on the high end if anything. 8.5 2hrs after my dinner last night and then 8.3 after I'd ended up having to haul my couch around the room to find something I'd dropped down the side which made me pant & sweat.

Be a little cautious of the illusion of decimal-point-precision on home BG meters. I’m glad I have the x.x results, but I know from experience that really they mean x-ish, as 2 readings taken immediately one after another from the dame blood droplet could easily offer different results.

Use the numbers as a guide, but also always sense-check them, and re-wash your hands and check again if a result doesn’t make sense, or doesn’t match how you are feeling.

You can use your BG meter, taking a reading before and again 2hrs after eating, to see what the differences are, to identify any sources of carb that seem to be spiking your BG (initially in a way the numbers themselves matter less than the differences between them). Ideally you would want to see a rise of no more than 2-3mmol/L at the 2hr mark. Once you can see how you respond to different meals you can begin experimenting with reducing portion sizes of the carbs where you see bigger rises. You might find that you are particularly sensitive to carbohydrate from one source (eg bread), but have more liberty with others (eg oats or basmati rice) - It’s all very individual! You might even find that just having things at a different time of day makes a difference - with breakfast time being the trickiest.

Over weeks and months of experimentation you can gradually tweak and tailor your menu to find one that suits your tastebuds, your waistline, your budget and your BG levels - and a way of eating that is flexible enough to be sustainable long-term.

Ultimately you’ll want to aim for 4-7mmol/L before meals, and no higher than 8.5mmol/L by 2hrs after meals. But by aiming to keep your meal rise down to 2-3 in the first instance, you’ll let your levels drift down gently, which is easier on the body, and the fine blood vessels.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum! 🙂

Confirming the units for those numbers will be very helpful for people and will put into context the numbers you will get from your newly purchased monitor which will be in mmol/l.
You certainly have have had not a good time of it over the last few years but getting blood glucose levels sorted out will help I'm sure.
I get my fasting bloods done on Tues morning for my HbA1c then will see my diabetes nurse after that so will ask for confirmation of my original numbers when I'm there. Think my head was swimming at the time!
Thank you so much

Be a little cautious of the illusion of decimal-point-precision on home BG meters. I’m glad I have the x.x results, but I know from experience that really they mean x-ish, as 2 readings taken immediately one after another from the dame blood droplet could easily offer different results.

Use the numbers as a guide, but also always sense-check them, and re-wash your hands and check again if a result doesn’t make sense, or doesn’t match how you are feeling.

You can use your BG meter, taking a reading before and again 2hrs after eating, to see what the differences are, to identify any sources of carb that seem to be spiking your BG (initially in a way the numbers themselves matter less than the differences between them). Ideally you would want to see a rise of no more than 2-3mmol/L at the 2hr mark. Once you can see how you respond to different meals you can begin experimenting with reducing portion sizes of the carbs where you see bigger rises. You might find that you are particularly sensitive to carbohydrate from one source (eg bread), but have more liberty with others (eg oats or basmati rice) - It’s all very individual! You might even find that just having things at a different time of day makes a difference - with breakfast time being the trickiest.

Over weeks and months of experimentation you can gradually tweak and tailor your menu to find one that suits your tastebuds, your waistline, your budget and your BG levels - and a way of eating that is flexible enough to be sustainable long-term.

Ultimately you’ll want to aim for 4-7mmol/L before meals, and no higher than 8.5mmol/L by 2hrs after meals. But by aiming to keep your meal rise down to 2-3 in the first instance, you’ll let your levels drift down gently, which is easier on the body, and the fine blood vessels.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum! 🙂
Hi and thank you!

This is really helpful as I've been reading some stuff which agrees with what you've said in terms of not getting too hung up on precise numbers. I need to learn to be more patient I think.. because it's all new to me I'm getting myself frustrated because I'm not yet familiar with how I feel in relation to my readings if this makes any sense?!

I've been taking a reading before and after the 2 hours. Ah, so it's the DIFFERENCE between the 2 that I'm looking at? That's so so helpful thank you! I've been looking at the numbers and thinking "okay.. but what does this mean and what do I do?" so thank you for explaining this!!

Honestly you've explained this in such a helpful manner I can't thank you enough. You've taken a great deal of confusion and feeling like I'm aimlessly going round in circles from me!

I get my fasting bloods done on Tues morning for my HbA1c then will see my diabetes nurse after that so will ask for confirmation of my original numbers when I'm there. Think my head was swimming at the time!
Thank you so much
The HbA1C does not need to be fasting but they sometimes ask for that if you are having a lipid profile done as well.

The HbA1C does not need to be fasting but they sometimes ask for that if you are having a lipid profile done as well.
I just asked the receptionist when I booked the appointment if I should be fasting or not as I'm clueless and she said I'd be best so not sure if she just said this because she didn't know and was playing it safe sort of thing

I've been taking a reading before and after the 2 hours. Ah, so it's the DIFFERENCE between the 2 that I'm looking at? That's so so helpful thank you! I've been looking at the numbers and thinking "okay.. but what does this mean and what do I do?" so thank you for explaining this!!

Well it’s one approach! There are others too.

I think I suggest it because I think sometimes self-monitoring can be a bit tricky in the early months. If someone is diagnosed whose levels have been running quite high for a while and they start using a meter they might see 10mmol/L before a meal and 12.7mmol/L after a meal, and if they are aiming for 4-7 and no higher than 8.5 at 2hrs, those numbers could look ‘bad’ (hint, there are no ‘bad’ numbers, they are just information to help guide you).

But actually the meal itself only gave a rise of 2.7mmol/L, so they coped pretty well with it, and with a little tweaking it could easily be part of their regular menu going forwards. 🙂

Ah, so it's all relative to your overall "normal"? I've been stressing myself out trying to come to terms with the fact that it's not a simple problem with a simple solution and that it's going to take time to learn. Think I expected to see certain numbers and be able to say "right, I'm at X so therefore I need to do X and that's that". Just clueless!

I appreciate everyones kindness here in dealing with my ignorance and taking time to help me out. I seem to suddenly have hit panic mode so its all a great help to me

Ah, so it's all relative to your overall "normal"? I've been stressing myself out trying to come to terms with the fact that it's not a simple problem with a simple solution and that it's going to take time to learn. Think I expected to see certain numbers and be able to say "right, I'm at X so therefore I need to do X and that's that". Just clueless!

I appreciate everyones kindness here in dealing with my ignorance and taking time to help me out. I seem to suddenly have hit panic mode so its all a great help to me
I haven’t had a chance to say welcome to the forum. I'm only a couple of months into diagnosis and still figuring it all out but here is a really good place to be when you it all feels overwhelming!

Back