Hi all

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcol

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all. Male 70 yrs. Newbie here. Have type 2 diabetes for around 3 yrs now. Iam on Synjardy 1000 mgs a day. Have lost a small amount of weight while on this drug. My biggest problem is i get terrible groin fungal infections and sometimes Balanitis. I shower twice a day and use Triderm fungal cream which helps. Would anybody here know if i just change to 1000mgs Metformin a day instead of Synjardy would this be better? Does anybody else get fungal infections from this drug?
Thanks in advance.

Fungal infections are more likely if your blood glucose is high, once it reaches over about 10mmol/l then your kidneys have to work hard to excrete the excess in urine which can lead to UTIs and fungal infections as the yeast (which are fungi) absolutely love a sugary environment.
That is more likely to be causing the problem than the specific medication. That medication is a combination of metformin and empagliflozin. Metformin helps the body use the insulin it produces more effectively and the empagliflozin encourages the kidneys to excrete the excess glucose.
Drinking plenty of fluids is important.
The medication also requires dietary changes in reducing carbohydrates as they convert to glucose and will push up your blood glucose level.
You may need a more aggressive treatment for your infection in terms of oral antifungal medication, you may be able to get from the pharmacy but still would be worth speaking to your GP.
Have a look at this link for some ideas for modifying your diet to reduce your carbs, https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Fungal infections are more likely if your blood glucose is high, once it reaches over about 10mmol/l then your kidneys have to work hard to excrete the excess in urine which can lead to UTIs and fungal infections as the yeast (which are fungi) absolutely love a sugary environment.
That is more likely to be causing the problem than the specific medication. That medication is a combination of metformin and empagliflozin. Metformin helps the body use the insulin it produces more effectively and the empagliflozin encourages the kidneys to excrete the excess glucose.
Drinking plenty of fluids is important.
The medication also requires dietary changes in reducing carbohydrates as they convert to glucose and will push up your blood glucose level.
You may need a more aggressive treatment for your infection in terms of oral antifungal medication, you may be able to get from the pharmacy but still would be worth speaking to your GP.
Have a look at this link for some ideas for modifying your diet to reduce your carbs, https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Hi Leadinglights. Many thanks for your prompt reply. I think you may be right as my BS levels are sometimes high. I take Synjardy in the morning one a day. Would it be better after evening meal? Or maybe it doesnt matter to much as long as i take the tablet at the same time. I read that Synjardy is twice a day but iam on just the one. Its not the xl tablet. I think this forum will educate me well. Many thanks for your reply

Hi Leadinglights. Many thanks for your prompt reply. I think you may be right as my BS levels are sometimes high. I take Synjardy in the morning one a day. Would it be better after evening meal? Or maybe it doesnt matter to much as long as i take the tablet at the same time. I read that Synjardy is twice a day but iam on just the one. Its not the xl tablet. I think this forum will educate me well. Many thanks for your reply
I don't think it really matters when you take it as it is not acting directly on the food you eat but working away in the background. People tend to take metformin with food as it helps to stop any stomach issues which some people get not because it actually magics away the carbs in your meal.

I don't think it really matters when you take it as it is not acting directly on the food you eat but working away in the background. People tend to take metformin with food as it helps to stop any stomach issues which some people get not because it actually magics away the carbs in your meal.
Thanks.

I was looking up about the medication you are taking and it does mention the side effect of fungal infections in the area you mention and also advises that people seek medical attention as it is something that can get worse quickly. So don't ignore it and contact your GP. It must be very uncomfortable anyway.

HI @dmcol and welcome to rhe forum. I see you are posting from Russia. This is not a problem because although we are a UK based forum we have many members from overseas and it gives us some insight into how other countries deal with diabetes.

I only mention it because different countries can have very different medical protocols and and it is easy to get some confusion if members replying to your posts assume you are in the UK.

Hi, yes correct. I am a brit but travel between the two countries. No flights at present.

That's good, if you are a brit you will understand the terms we use

Is your diabetes care mostly in UK or mostly in Russia? If both, how do they compare?

Cannot help with your problem but suggest you seek local medical advice. Is that available to you easily where you are currently located?

Hi again,
Iam mostly in Russia at the moment. I mainly use a private clinic here only because they are a lot cheaper than uk and you can see a Consultant the same day and have modern equipment and they are very organised.
I dont use the State hospitals as they are outdated and over crowded.
Medication is more or less the same as you would get in uk, although because of the sanctions foreign goods including medicines are now a bit more expensive to buy.
Regards. D.

Hi again,
Iam mostly in Russia at the moment. I mainly use a private clinic here only because they are a lot cheaper than uk and you can see a Consultant the same day and have modern equipment and they are very organised.
Medication is more or less the same as you would get in uk, although because of the sanctions foreign goods including medicines are now a bit more expensive to buy.
Regards. D.
You are the first person I have seen mention the combined medication, here people would usually be prescribed metformin and then if needed have other medications added. I suppose that is because the dosage can be adjusted independently of each.
What diet do you follow, it would be interesting to know what foods are available to you in Russia.

Hi again,
Regards. D.
Not sure what happened there???

Hi,
Good thing in Russia most food is fresh. You hardly see processed or tinned food. No additives. I have Kefir for breakfast or greek yoghurt or buckwheat. Soup is popular always homemade. Salad is fresh from the many Dachas here. Tea is either black, green or blueberry. Not many people have milk in their tea. Nobody i know eats chips, only me lol. (Mainly younger people use Macdonalds or burger king). My diet here is quite healthy, its in uk where i let my guard slip. D.

You are the first person I have seen mention the combined medication, here people would usually be prescribed metformin and then if needed have other medications added. I suppose that is because the dosage can be adjusted independently of each.
What diet do you follow, it would be interesting to know what foods are available to you in Russia.
We have had people on the forum posting on been on combined medication. They have not always been regular posters and have been from a variety of differnt countries.

I have been on the Empaglifozin before separately from Metformin but my digestive system was having none of it lol. I still take Metformin SR but with Glicazide. Never heard of Synjardy before.

Hi, I think Synjardy has been around since 2015. If you buy the two drugs separately i think it works out a bit cheaper. Some people take 2 tablets a day or there is a extra release version where you take 1 tablet a day

Hi, I think Synjardy has been around since 2015. If you buy the two drugs separately i think it works out a bit cheaper. Some people take 2 tablets a day or there is a extra release version where you take 1 tablet a day

I’ve seen it mentioned a few times on the forum over the years, but it doesn’t seem to be very commonly offered in the UK, I’m not sure why.

Hi its probably because of the price. I think its around £80 for 60 tablets in the uk. D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back