Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

eve speake

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have just been put on Sukkarto SR 500mg 2X a day and I wanted to know if what I am feeling is normal for this medication. I am on day 3 of the tablets and I feel awful. I have diarrhea, wind, stomach cramps and my stomach looks 8 months pregnant with bloating and it feels hard to the touch. I have pain in my right hand side of my lower back too. Is this normal? And will these side effects go away by themselves. Please can someone help? this is all very new to me and it's all so daunting.

Hi and welcome

The digestive upset (wind in both directions, indigestion, bloating, colic pains and diarrhoea) are quite well known side effects of Metformin (unaffectionately referred to as "MetFartin"), of which Sukkarto is a brand. It is important to take the tablets with or after a substantial amount of food. I always took it mid meal so that it was surrounded by food in my system to reduce the impact of these side effects. The pain in your lower back is more concerning unless it is trapped wind. I would certainly speak to your GP or nurse about the problems you are having particularly if taking them mid meal doesn't help to alleviate those side effects. There is a slow release version which can be prescribed instead which is kinder on the digestive system for those who have severe problems, so do ask about that if these symptoms persist.

It is also important to make lifestyle changes. The medication has a relatively minimal impact on your Blood Glucose levels but reducing the amount of glucose you put into your blood stream through food will have a much greater effect, along with increasing your activity levels so that your muscles are using up some of the glucose in your blood. A brisk daily walk is ideal.

If you would like to give us an idea of what you currently have for breakfast, lunch and evening meal in terms of food and drink and any snacks we can give you suggestions as to where you could make swaps or have alternative foods which would improve your diabetes management.

Anyway, I hope that puts your mind at rest a bit but do speak to your medical professionals and let them know the problems you are having with side effects but hopefully they will settle down after a few days.

I would add that it is normal to start on one tablet and then increase to 2 after a week or so, to give your body time to adjust to the Metformin, so it may be worth asking to reduce the dose for a week or two and then try increasing it again.

Hi and welcome

The digestive upset (wind in both directions, indigestion, bloating, colic pains and diarrhoea) are quite well known side effects of Metformin (unaffectionately referred to as "MetFartin"), of which Sukkarto is a brand. It is important to take the tablets with or after a substantial amount of food. I always took it mid meal so that it was surrounded by food in my system to reduce the impact of these side effects. The pain in your lower back is more concerning unless it is trapped wind. I would certainly speak to your GP or nurse about the problems you are having particularly if taking them mid meal doesn't help to alleviate those side effects. There is a slow release version which can be prescribed instead which is kinder on the digestive system for those who have severe problems, so do ask about that if these symptoms persist.

It is also important to make lifestyle changes. The medication has a relatively minimal impact on your Blood Glucose levels but reducing the amount of glucose you put into your blood stream through food will have a much greater effect, along with increasing your activity levels so that your muscles are using up some of the glucose in your blood. A brisk daily walk is ideal.

If you would like to give us an idea of what you currently have for breakfast, lunch and evening meal in terms of food and drink and any snacks we can give you suggestions as to where you could make swaps or have alternative foods which would improve your diabetes management.

Anyway, I hope that puts your mind at rest a bit but do speak to your medical professionals and let them know the problems you are having with side effects but hopefully they will settle down after a few days.

I would add that it is normal to start on one tablet and then increase to 2 after a week or so, to give your body time to adjust to the Metformin, so it may be worth asking to reduce the dose for a week or two and then try increasing it again.
Thank you for your reply.
I lost 3 stone on diet alone but due to covid my sugars went berserk so I was out on the medication. I have also gained 1 stone in a matter of 6 weeks. I take the slow release tablets one with breakfast and one with evening meal, but last night was awful and I have woken this morning still with the hard bloated stomach.

I have porridge for breakfast.

I have salad or something similar for lunch. Anything with minimal carbs.

For evening meal I have fish and veg or chicken and veg.

I have celery and carrot sticks with homous if I'm hungry between lunch and evening meal.
Any advice would be very welcome

I found I could take 1 Sukkarto a day, but when I upped it to 2, I got all the symptoms you described. I spoke to my nurse, was reduced back to one, and given Canaglifloxin as well. It does take a few weeks for the body to adjust.

Hi, the stomach related issues unfortunately are very typical side effects of this medication. The lower back pain has also been reported I’ve noticed on a quick google on some other diabetes websites. I also found this passage on healthline.com

Bloating occurs when the abdomen fills with air or gas. This can make your abdomen appear larger and feel tight or hard to the touch. It can also cause feelings of discomfort and pain, which may be felt toward your back. The back acts as a support and stabilizing system for your body

Hope this out your mind at rest a little and your feeling better soon xx

Aside from the porridge, that menu looks pretty low carb. The only substitution I would suggest is either eggs for breakfast (I like an omelette with whatever filling I have that needs using up) and salad with cheese coleslaw or creamy (wholemilk not low fat) Natural Greek yoghurt with a few berries and seeds.

A sour cream and chive fresh dip would be lower carb than hummus with your veggie sticks and just as tasty but your diet looks quite reasonable. How are you managing with that? Do you feel hungry or are you managing OK? It is important to find a way of eating which is sustainable and enjoyable because this is for the long term. Some people experience problems not just with the active ingredient in Metformin, but with the coatings and binding agents in the tablets of certain brands of Metformin, so it might be worth discussing a change of brand if the Sukkarto is not agreeing with you and see if you can find one you get on better with.

If your HbA1c is not too high then you might discuss a trial period of 3 months with just dietary and perhaps exercise, to see if you can manage things without medication. You are clearly doing well with reducing the carbs in your diet, and that will usually have a much bigger impact on reducing BG levels and therefore HbA1c than most medications, certainly Metformin. Do you test your levels at home? many Type 2 diabetics here on the forum who don't get a meter and test strips prescribed, self fund and it can be an invaluable tool in tailoring your diet to your own body's intolerance of carbs.

Aside from the porridge, that menu looks pretty low carb. The only substitution I would suggest is either eggs for breakfast (I like an omelette with whatever filling I have that needs using up) and salad with cheese coleslaw or creamy (wholemilk not low fat) Natural Greek yoghurt with a few berries and seeds.

A sour cream and chive fresh dip would be lower carb than hummus with your veggie sticks and just as tasty but your diet looks quite reasonable. How are you managing with that? Do you feel hungry or are you managing OK? It is important to find a way of eating which is sustainable and enjoyable because this is for the long term. Some people experience problems not just with the active ingredient in Metformin, but with the coatings and binding agents in the tablets of certain brands of Metformin, so it might be worth discussing a change of brand if the Sukkarto is not agreeing with you and see if you can find one you get on better with.

If your HbA1c is not too high then you might discuss a trial period of 3 months with just dietary and perhaps exercise, to see if you can manage things without medication. You are clearly doing well with reducing the carbs in your diet, and that will usually have a much bigger impact on reducing BG levels and therefore HbA1c than most medications, certainly Metformin. Do you test your levels at home? many Type 2 diabetics here on the forum who don't get a meter and test strips prescribed, self fund and it can be an invaluable tool in tailoring your diet to your own body's intolerance of carbs.
I did a year on diet alone and all was good I lost the weight and kept to the low carbs, however I caught covid 3 weeks ago and I could not control my sugars so they put me on this medication. I can not have seeds or nuts due to other health conditions and I have to have a low salt diet too.
The diet was really good and I was doing so well but I just got disheartened when my sugars were so bad and I ended up eating more carbs than I should.
I hate being on medication. I hate the side effects it's having.
I have arranged a call to discuss it with my doctor tomorrow.
Thank you.

@eve speake I was one of the more unlucky ones I went from the sort of symptoms you have to explosive faecal incontinence, was housebound and needed to buy a high end carpet and upholstery cleaner.
The cleaner is really good, you'd never know how bad it got, the tablets went in the bin after about 5 weeks.
A few weeks later it was all the more galling to discover I never needed them. I was no longer diabetic, Hba1c of 47 at 80 days, and 41 at 6 months.
I am fairly sure I had covid early on, and my Hba1c rose, but then fell again, all unknown as I was never told.

Sorry to hear you have other health issues which impact your diet and that Covid has caused you BG upheaval. Sadly that is becoming a common issue and even the Covid vaccine has had an impact in that respect. Hope it resolves soon or you are able to find a medication which suits you better, but don't suffer in silence as there are alternatives. Good luck finding one that suits you.

@eve speake I was one of the more unlucky ones I went from the sort of symptoms you have to explosive faecal incontinence, was housebound and needed to buy a high end carpet and upholstery cleaner.
The cleaner is really good, you'd never know how bad it got, the tablets went in the bin after about 5 weeks.
A few weeks later it was all the more galling to discover I never needed them. I was no longer diabetic, Hba1c of 47 at 80 days, and 41 at 6 months.
Wow that sounds pretty awful. I have bowl disease anyway so I can't work because I have toilet issues and incontinence anyway .
Well done for the Hba1c getting to 41 that's fantastic.

Wow that sounds pretty awful. I have bowl disease anyway so I can't work because I have toilet issues and incontinence anyway .
Well done for the Hba1c getting to 41 that's fantastic.
I have to confess it was really easy - if I was ever caught out without a low carb alternative I only had to think about the effects of Metformin - and Atorvastatin too, as they were both prescribed at diagnosis, and I could fast until I got home or could buy something suitable.
Explaining to my three grandsons why I had not been to see them for the previous month, I managed to laugh about it - they thought it was hilarious.

I have to confess it was really easy - if I was ever caught out without a low carb alternative I only had to think about the effects of Metformin - and Atorvastatin too, as they were both prescribed at diagnosis, and I could fast until I got home or could buy something suitable.
Explaining to my three grandsons why I had not been to see them for the previous month, I managed to laugh about it - they thought it was hilarious.
I must say I did laugh out loud when I read the 'explosive diarrhea' part haha.
I will try to remember the side effects when I reach for carbs I'm sure it will help. Thank you for the advice I think it will go a long way to making me chose the right choices because I don't want to feel like I did last night ever again.

I have just been put on Sukkarto SR 500mg 2X a day and I wanted to know if what I am feeling is normal for this medication. I am on day 3 of the tablets and I feel awful. I have diarrhea, wind, stomach cramps and my stomach looks 8 months pregnant with bloating and it feels hard to the touch. I have pain in my right hand side of my lower back too. Is this normal? And will these side effects go away by themselves. Please can someone help? this is all very new to me and it's all so daunting.
A common problem. I got that and after two weeks it didn't let up. GP put me onto the slow release version, problems went away immediately.

A common problem. I got that and after two weeks it didn't let up. GP put me onto the slow release version, problems went away immediately.
I'm on the SR (slow release) version already. I am so intolerant of medication. It is driving me nuts, hopefully trying to take the tablet in the middle of my meal at help. Also having a doctor appointment tomorrow do with a bit of luck I'll have a Hbc

Hopefully the effect of Covid on your blood glucose is only temporary and by sticking with your low carb regime you can bring it back down again. You can't really put up with the bad effects for any longer. They may suggest alternatives you will tolerate better.

I must say I did laugh out loud when I read the 'explosive diarrhea' part haha.
I will try to remember the side effects when I reach for carbs I'm sure it will help. Thank you for the advice I think it will go a long way to making me chose the right choices because I don't want to feel like I did last night ever again.
Oh it wasn't the carbs which were causing the problem, it was the tablets. I tried every which way of taking them and it made no difference. Once I stopped taking them I went on with the same menu as for the last 5 weeks and began to feel better almost at once, but it took quite some time for things to come right, all non diabetes problems.

Hopefully the effect of Covid on your blood glucose is only temporary and by sticking with your low carb regime you can bring it back down again. You can't really put up with the bad effects for any longer. They may suggest alternatives you will tolerate better.
I have spoken to a pharmacist and he said for me to try again tonight with the extra tablet and if I am the same go back down to one tablet from tomorrow and restrict my diet as best as I can. Fingers crossed it's better tonight

I have spoken to a pharmacist and he said for me to try again tonight with the extra tablet and if I am the same go back down to one tablet from tomorrow and restrict my diet as best as I can. Fingers crossed it's better tonight
Hope it all sorts out for you. I’m not on medication and it all sounds awful I must try harder so that I don’t get put on it. I have stomach and bowel problems and don’t need any more. It’s good you have people to talk to on this

Hope it all sorts out for you. I’m not on medication and it all sounds awful I must try harder so that I don’t get put on it. I have stomach and bowel problems and don’t need any more. It’s good you have people to talk to on this
It is nice to have people to talk to who know what it's all like as none of my family or friends have diabetes so it's a lonely place when you have no one to talk to. Do definitely try as hard as possible to keep off the medication cause believe me the side effects so far for me have been wretched. I'm on my best diet behaviour from now on to get off this medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back