Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corrine

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've recently being trying to be a good diabetic and use my Freestyle Lite so I can find out what and how food/exercise/wine affect me. The good news is that I haven't seen anything above 6.9 so far (and that was 2 hours after eating) but the bad news is that I have seen a couple of real lows first thing in the morning. First time was 1.7 (at work, about 2 hours after waking, one coffee, no food) that I decided to ignore as I was up to 7.2 half an hour later, which was 10 mins after eating. I thought I'd try again this morning - woke up, washed hands and it was 2.1. I don't understand - am I hypo-ing in the night or am I just naturally low in the mornings? Is it normal to be that low in the mornings?

Any advice gratefully received!

Hi Corrine,

wow them numbers are real low - too low

Are you on medication or inject ?

Might be worth a chat with your GP

Do you have breakfast before setting of to work ? I couldn't leave the house without.

Sorry I can't be of any real help to you - mine have never been that low in the mornings!!

I am no expert on type 2 - but i think its odd that you were 1.7! That is very low. Are you on meds?If your that low again - dont ignore it - have some glucose - coke or something. I think you should make an appointment to see your team asap.🙂Bev

Thanks Dizzy Di - at the moment am diet and exercise controlled.....which I think makes it all the more weird! And no - I have my breakfast at work.

Wow yes that is low for some one on D/E alone, worth a chat with the DSN corrine? Just a quick note is the meter running ok and are you making sure your figners are completely clean(not meaning to sound rude there).Maybe the battery is running low and causing the numbers to become unusually low.

Thanks Dizzy Di - at the moment am diet and exercise controlled.....which I think makes it all the more weird! And no - I have my breakfast at work.

That is definatley weird - Think your next step is to talk to your GP - just to be on the safe side x

Is there any chance your glucometer might be to blame? - mine can read very low when it's cold (on top of mountains and stuff though, not just routinely cold).
(but don't JUST blame the glucometer - levels that low are potentially dangerous so see someone too)

I'd suggest eating breakfast before leaving the house, if possible.

But even so, 1.7 is too low. Did you feel strange? If not, then I'd suspect that the meter is playing up?

Andy

(and that was 2 hours after eating) but the bad news is that I have seen a couple of real lows first thing in the morning. First time was 1.7 (at work, about 2 hours after waking, one coffee, no food) that I decided to ignore as I was up to 7.2 half an hour later, which was 10 mins after eating. I thought I'd try again this morning - woke up, washed hands and it was 2.1.

Hi there,
yes a type 2 can normally expect to see the opposite in the morning - the DP.
Perhaps your experience is to do with Reactive Hypoglycemia ?

http://www.reactivehypoglycemia.net/

I was told by my old DSN (granted she wasnt great) that type 2 COULD NOT go hypo. sorry this isnt much help.

I know when I was diet and exercise one of my tests came back as under 4 and I didn't feel hypo so I washed my hands again and did the test again and I was 5 something.

I was told by my old DSN (granted she wasnt great) that type 2 COULD NOT go hypo. sorry this isnt much help.

They can if they don't eat enough and their natural energy supplies run out (the same for non-diabetics too). 😉

p.s. I'm not saying that is what happened here.

Another thing occurs to me. After you've washed your hands, you do need to dry them properly too. I guess that any water left on the finger may 'dilute' the blood drop.

Andy

Thanks everyone - am due to see my DSN next week so will mention it. I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens. I'll also try and recalibrate the meter - I've used it so seldom I'm still using the same lancet so not sure if thats the issue, and yes - hands were clean and dry. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning!

They can if they don't eat enough and their natural energy supplies run out (the same for non-diabetics too). 😉

p.s. I'm not saying that is what happened here.

Hmmm... I agree - I dont think I've ever not eaten enough!

I'd suggest eating breakfast before leaving the house, if possible.

But even so, 1.7 is too low. Did you feel strange? If not, then I'd suspect that the meter is playing up?

Andy

To be honest I'm not sure if I did feel strange - had a few hot sweats in the night but I put that down to age :D

Well I tried again this morning - 1.7 on waking and 8.8 at 90 mins after eating a small breakfast of bacon, eggs, mushrooms and 2 brown toast (unfortunately I am away with work at the moment in a very nice hotel) .....and I also tested before I went to bed last night which was about 2 hours after eating - 6.5. I just dont get it!

The wine I would assume would help you get low numbers, the length of time it stays in your system depends on all sorts of stuff I'll never understand.

Glad you're trying to be a good diabetic (I thought you were already!)

Rossi🙂

The wine I would assume would help you get low numbers, the length of time it stays in your system depends on all sorts of stuff I'll never understand.

Glad you're trying to be a good diabetic (I thought you were already!)

Rossi🙂

He! He! Think you have me confused with someone else! I'll try the wine thing though - admittedly I had several the night before my first low reading, but none the night before the second one, and only one last night! I'm planning on having a few tonight so maybe I'll see if there is any difference tomorrow - if my poor sore fingers will allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back