Help with snacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Inka
I will look into getting a half unit pen with the diabetes nurse at our next call
Breakfast is usually 20 grams of Corn flakes or porridge
Lunch is generally a sandwich.. cheese, tuna, ham etc.

Hi Inka
I will look into getting a half unit pen with the diabetes nurse at our next call
Breakfast is usually 20 grams of Corn flakes or porridge
Lunch is generally a sandwich.. cheese, tuna, ham etc.
Are you actually weighing things as it is easy to over or underestimate portions of things like breakfast cereals. Do you mean 20g of cornflakes or porridge or 20g carbs for the portion as that will be a difference and also the milk will have carbs.

Hi leadinglights
I weighed the dry cereal then calculated the carbs using the details on the packet, I then got the carb value of the milk from the ‘carbs and cals’ book

Thanks Inka
She shall try having the bolus injection a little earlier as her levels do spike after meals, thanks for the tip
We can’t reduce the insulin as she is only on one unit per meal!
Dear Abner55, please explain 1u insulin per meal. I am beyond baffled as you mentioned the number of carbs your wife is consuming in a day.

Hi Inka
View attachment 29911

Just been having a look at average carbs ( a bit new to this but used the carbs and cals book)
Breakfast 22
Lunch 44
Dinner 65
I have attached a pic of yesterday’s libre graph which shows the spikes after meals and when she snacks to lift levels
I would love to exchange those readings with mine any day. Trust me. Can you also tell us her time in range please?

Dear Abner55, please explain 1u insulin per meal. I am beyond baffled as you mentioned the number of carbs your wife is consuming in a day.
Hi Purl. Lovely to see you back on the forum. How are you doing? Sounds like you are perhaps still struggling to find some balance with your diabetes management.

I believe @Abner55's wife is newly diagnosed and on fixed doses at the moment and it seems only needing very small doses probably because she is in the honeymoon period where her own body is still producing a decent amount of insulin, so the injected 1 unit of insulin is just helping out a bit.

Hi @Purls of Wisdom
We are just doing what the diabetic nurse suggested.. early days for us but beginning to make some sense of it, I think!
Sorry to hear you are struggling with your levels, it’s not fun, is it
@rebrascora ‘s post has a possible explanation, my wife see’s her consultant for the first time in a couple of weeks, so may find out more then
Time in range is 59%

She’s newly diagnosed so will be making some of her own insulin still. Everybody is different - different weight, different insulin sensitivity, different situation, different muscle mass, etc etc. There’s nothing baffling about it. It’s completely normal for someone recently diagnosed to be on those kind of doses 🙂

Hope you can get your wife’s doses tweaked so that she isn’t continually feeding the extra insulin.

Soon enough she will gain confidence and experience in adjusting her own doses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back