Help with Accu-Chek Aviva please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I bought a new meter while travelling, an Exactive EQ Impulse. It seems to be working OK.

I bought loads of new strips and control solution for my older Accu-Chek Aviva but when I plug in a strip and add control solution, nothing happens. I checked the manual, and it refers to changing a code strip every time a new batch of test strip is opened. I never did that before and don't know where I could get any. I've just read that this model has been recalled and will be discontinued in 2022.

Do I need to replace it? Is there a better model that I can use all my new Accu-Chek Aviva test strip on?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Mark.

Had a couple of old strips and noticed the container has a code of 111. The black coding chip inserted in the meter has a code of 111 on it. The new strips, with Accu-Chek Aviva written on the container has no code. ...

It used to be that each tub of strips came with a white coding strip and you had to change the strip each time you opened a new tub so that the code on the strips matched the one on the chip. I think it was to calibrate the meter and stop you from using out of date strips. Then in about 2012 they changed it now so that all tubs are coded 111 and once you have a black chip with 111 you don’t need to change it again, and the tubs of strips are no longer supplied with a coding chip. When the meter fires up it still says “check code 111” but you can ignore that now.

So if you’ve done everything obvious like change the batteries and are using the correct control solution that isn’t out of date or anything then it looks like it isn’t working. You could try the Accu-Chek website to see what other meters they offer, make sure they can take the Aviva strips though, they also do Performa strips which are different and you have to get the correct strips for your meter.

I bought a new meter while travelling, an Exactive EQ Impulse. It seems to be working OK.

I bought loads of new strips and control solution for my older Accu-Chek Aviva but when I plug in a strip and add control solution, nothing happens. I checked the manual, and it refers to changing a code strip every time a new batch of test strip is opened. I never did that before and don't know where I could get any. I've just read that this model has been recalled and will be discontinued in 2022.

Do I need to replace it? Is there a better model that I can use all my new Accu-Chek Aviva test strip on?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Mark.
Have you tried changing the battery? They don’t make any new meters that use the aviva strips any more.

Have you tried changing the battery? They don’t make any new meters that use the aviva strips any more.
I changed the battery and the puzzling thing is that it works fine with the old and out of date strips that are coded 111. They are dated 31/1/2020.

I changed the battery and the puzzling thing is that it works fine with the old and out of date strips that are coded 111. They are dated 31/1/2020.
What’s puzzling about it working after changing the battery? If it’s old the battery had probably run out.

What’s puzzling about it working after changing the battery? If it’s old the battery had probably run out.
Hi Lucyr, the puzzling thing is that it worked with the old strips but not the new ones.

Our strips don’t have the 111 code written on the box any more, probably because they are all the same now. You still need to leave the chip in the meter though or it won’t work at all. So if it works fine with the old strips but not the new ones that would suggest that there is something wrong with the new strips, where did you buy them from? I’d be highly suspicious of buying things like that from eBay, for example.

Thanks Sally71, I can't think of any other explanation. I believe you have hit the nail on the head. It seems I've bought 150 dud strips. I bought them on Amazon UK from one of the Amazon Partners. I've messaged them to request a refund. The strips are not cheap... To be fair, it might not be their fault...

Do you use the Aviva meter? Can you recommend a reliable supplier, perhaps by private message?

I don't want to buy another meter unless I have to. I did buy a new one from Amazon when starting with gliclazide so I could leave one in the car. Its keeping me going until I can resolve the issue with the Aviva.

Boots sell them but for £30 a pot I believe, Diabetic Supply have them at £20.99, there was an issue with test strips about pots opening etc so it may be worth checking Roche's website to see if your's match the effected batches xx

Many thanks. I've ordered a pot from Diabetic Supply. I'm impressed by their Web site.

I've used them for other things, they are pretty good xx

There are cheaper suppliers of test strips and so it may be better to switch to a new meter with cheaper strips. If there is a problem with your meter then it just means the new strips are also wasted since you can’t buy a new meter that uses the accu check aviva strips any more

Mystery now solved. I got on the phone to the Aviva support line. I opened one of the other three packs and these strips worked fine. It seems there was one duff pack. (They were all from the same batch)...

Well deduced Sally71.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I've just commented elsewhere that I've very recently used a pot I found of the very same strips where the use by date was in 2019 - and they were 100% fine - and they are still commited to supplying them to those of us whose lives rely on their diabetes technology for as long as we need them - so that is at least the next 4 years for me. I observe that you are not using a Roche insulin pump and therefore your life does not entirely rely on such - but you should be aware that the strips will very soon not be relatively easy to obtain 'over the counter' from anywhere, either here or abroad and so you need to make your own different arrangements for testing for the future.

Thanks for the advice. There seem to be plenty of good meters around, I'll buy another when they stop making the strips. Do you know when that is?

@trophywench why do you say that? When questioned Roche stated the strips would still be easy accessible for years to come so there was no need for anyone currently using an Aviva meter to change xx

@trophywench why do you say that? When questioned Roche stated the strips would still be easy accessible for years to come so there was no need for anyone currently using an Aviva meter to change xx
This is what the helpline told me also, that the strips will continue to be available with no plans to end them, but when you need a new meter you will only be able to get one of their newer ones with different strips.

Because I don't actually see the need for anyone without a pressing need for such a meter and therefore getting them free on prescription, to continue spending that amount of money for strips when there are other choices of reliable and accurate meter and strips they can obtain more economically.

Of course I'd rather everyone be able to get meters and strips on prescription but that's not likely to happen and whilst some of us had or still have well paid jobs and can afford to spend whatever we wish to on such things I am fully aware that an awful lot more people these days don't have that much cash to spend on things that aren't strictly necessary. Hence, seems common sense to me to seek a cheaper alternative to do the same job.

I doubt very much indeed whether ANY newly diagnosed UK resident would be supplied with a Roche meter using these strips from early this year if not before that.

That doesn't make them uneasy to obtain over the counter like you've stated is what is going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back