Help please

Chasing flat lines is a fast route to frustration and burnout I think.

But…

When I first had access to a continuous sensor (Libre 1) I was able to see what had been going on ‘between the dots’ and that showed me that sometimes while my dose worked out eventually, there was a sharp rise soon after eating, that came down later.

What helped me was giving my insulin a little earlier. Then waiting a few minutes to give my insulin a bit of a headstart.

But…

When I first had access to a continuous sensor (Libre 1) I was able to see what had been going on ‘between the dots’ and that showed me that sometimes while my dose worked out eventually, there was a sharp rise soon after eating, that came down later.

What helped me was giving my insulin a little earlier. Then waiting a few minutes to give my insulin a bit of a headstart.

I found it really helped at breakfast and a shorter wait at lunch, but if I tried it in the evening I ended up hypo. Plus the ‘right’ wait time varies throughout the year - so it’s a strategy that needs careful and cautious handling!

I found it really helped at breakfast and a shorter wait at lunch, but if I tried it in the evening I ended up hypo. Plus the ‘right’ wait time varies throughout the year - so it’s a strategy that needs careful and cautious handling!

But…

Hi, yes definitely frustrated!
Trying to figure it out… very confusing, you can have same breakfast same dose of insulin sam levels before you eat and results can be so different .That is why i kind of stick with same food and very carefully add new things and if doesn’t work i move on, but lately everything is challenging… will hopefully figure it out.

Hi, yes definitely frustrated!
Trying to figure it out… very confusing, you can have same breakfast same dose of insulin sam levels before you eat and results can be so different .That is why i kind of stick with same food and very carefully add new things and if doesn’t work i move on, but lately everything is challenging… will hopefully figure it out.
Also just been away and was so hot, and for few first days i had hypo after hypo i think was heat….

Sounds like you are doing very well - I'm relatively new to diagnosis (just a couple of years in myself) - Spikes around meals are inevitable and you will never have a flat line! - as stated previously you may need to adjust your insulin/carb ratios depending on the time of day - and definitely reducing carbs too much has a much greater effect for me in terms of the ups and downs - I try to keep my carb intake to 30-60g of carbs per meal and have worked out how much insulin to take to counteract this, but it is all trial and error initially and everyone is different - obviously 4-10 is an ideal range but don't be alarmed if you go to 12 or 13 a couple of hours after eating - as long as it comes down shortly after (Not too fast though!) then you've got it right - if you are spiking to 17-20 then maybe look at adjusting your dose - but it sounds like you are doing a great job at such an early stage - it's a lot to take in to start with and I'm only just getting to grips with it all after a couple of years - and don't be afraid to ask for help (I've found this forum very useful) - well done so far and don't forget to reach out if you need any help

Sounds like you are doing very well - I'm relatively new to diagnosis (just a couple of years in myself) - Spikes around meals are inevitable and you will never have a flat line! - as stated previously you may need to adjust your insulin/carb ratios depending on the time of day - and definitely reducing carbs too much has a much greater effect for me in terms of the ups and downs - I try to keep my carb intake to 30-60g of carbs per meal and have worked out how much insulin to take to counteract this, but it is all trial and error initially and everyone is different - obviously 4-10 is an ideal range but don't be alarmed if you go to 12 or 13 a couple of hours after eating - as long as it comes down shortly after (Not too fast though!) then you've got it right - if you are spiking to 17-20 then maybe look at adjusting your dose - but it sounds like you are doing a great job at such an early stage - it's a lot to take in to start with and I'm only just getting to grips with it all after a couple of years - and don't be afraid to ask for help (I've found this forum very useful) - well done so far and don't forget to reach out if you need any help
Hi,9 months in , i understand now that levels go up after eating and yes depending on what you eat , how you time insulin and exercise will determine how high and will it spike.With diabetes team, i have seen my consultant once since Christmas,which I don’t find helpful.Is all the tiny information you find here is so much better!
I was trying to be in4-10 with occasional high when experimenting, as one of the members said…leads to frustration!
The reason i reached out is going high at night without eating and stays high while i sleep( last night), and from98% i dropped to 70 in less yhen a week, have to figure why.working on it.also was eating less carb and times to avoid injections and now i do so many trying to fix it all the time.. so that is another thing learned, there is no way out regardless how much in control you want to be.

Back