Help please - Questions for my GP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fully appreciate it's more complex, with 'good fats' (nuts, avocado, olive oil) vs 'bad fats', but then they advise full fat greek yoghurt etc. I fear I'll end up eating a very limited diet of things that seem safe

I think that’s the thing that each individual has to balance. And why I think that the general approach on the forum of ‘moderation in all things’ is perhaps a prudent move?

A flexible and sustainable way of eating that means you don’t feel overly limited or ‘backed into a corner’ seems like a more viable way forward to me.

I get a little uneasy with approaches that seek to almost entirely remove any of the macronutrients (fats, carbs, proteins). It seems important to me to find a blend and mix of them that works for your metabolism. And perhaps that might mean a little less of one and a little more of another. But I find that instinctively more comfortable than trying to cut any one group down to next to nothing personally. That’s not advice, but where I’ve ended up after 30 years of Diabetes juggling.

Did you actually bother to read the paper I linked to?
No. It looked like a technical paper with lots of very long latinesque words and in order to get anything useful from such a technical paper on a subject in which you have limited knowledge you need to read it carefully, follow up things you do not understand, do a few simple checks to make sure any data presented is consistent, satisfy yourself that any conclusions reached are consistent with the data and take a little time to read around the subject to see where that paper fits into the bigger picture. All that takes far more time than I have. Reading the title and summary, ignoring the words you do not understand, does not cut it for me.

And before you ask that is my opinion as a forum member and a retired scientist who spent most of his career evaluating complex technical issues and actually does know a little about that process.

... in order to get anything useful from such a technical paper on a subject in which you have limited knowledge you need to read it carefully, follow up things you do not understand, do a few simple checks to make sure any data presented is consistent, satisfy yourself that any conclusions reached are consistent with the data and take a little time to read around the subject to see where that paper fits into the bigger picture.
A handy hint: it's easier just to treat them kind of like religious proof texts, so you just have to find some which seem to have words supporting whatever you believe in already, and then you can wave them around as killer arguments without having to do any of that boring work you describe.

Also, they should be as definite as possible because only Weak Science expresses nuance, whereas Real Science comes with a "MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!!!!!" sticker & is used to sell supplements and diet coaching to the informationally challenged.

Hi @Kitty1

As you have seen there is no right answer for what to eat, there is just the right answer for you. The advice on here can give you some pointers and then it is a bit of work to find your personal solution

It is good to read that you are planning to keep a good diary alongside your glucose readings before and after meals. With the information about the how the amount of carbs you eat (whether they are sweet or not) matched to the readings you can identify how much your body can cope with and then adjust choices and/or portion sizes. I was surprised by the impact of some ‘healthy’ food items on me. I had eaten porridge for years but for me that spiked my glucose massively.

I have taken statins since diagnosis as my levels were very high and I got them back in target. I have had no side effects, even though I am ‘an older woman’

It is a lot to learn at the start and can be overwhelming. Just take hints step by step and keep asking questions.

Hi @Kitty1

As you have seen there is no right answer for what to eat, there is just the right answer for you. The advice on here can give you some pointers and then it is a bit of work to find your personal solution

It is good to read that you are planning to keep a good diary alongside your glucose readings before and after meals. With the information about the how the amount of carbs you eat (whether they are sweet or not) matched to the readings you can identify how much your body can cope with and then adjust choices and/or portion sizes. I was surprised by the impact of some ‘healthy’ food items on me. I had eaten porridge for years but for me that spiked my glucose massively.

I have taken statins since diagnosis as my levels were very high and I got them back in target. I have had no side effects, even though I am ‘an older woman’

It is a lot to learn at the start and can be overwhelming. Just take hints step by step and keep asking questions.
Thank you.
I think you're absolutely right - no right answer, just what's right for me. Having got away with it for a couple of years, it's time to face facts; I have to do something or my HbA1C will continue to come back higher every time. At least it's given me a kick up the backside!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back