Help getting a Libre 2 please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Libre sensors are prone to what is called compression lows. If you lie on the sensor, it compresses the tissue that the filament is in under the sensor and that causes it to give a false low reading, so it is important to double check any low alarms with a finger prick before treating them. You can usually tell if it is a compression low because there will be a sudden dip on the graph and usually you will wake up when the alarm goes off, lying o that side. Gradually you learn not to lie on the sensor or place it where you won't lie on it.

I hope you reported the failed sensor to Abbott and are being sent a replacement.
No I haven’t. Think it was my lack of expertise!

@Ashcroft welcome the the cyborg world.

Have you seen the threads about the limitations of CGMs such as Libres? It is useful to know when you can (and cannot) rely on them. If you don't understand this, you can find them very frustrating. Off the top of my head:
- compression lows. If you apply pressure to a sensor such as lying on it in your sleep, they report a false low.
- bedding in time. Some of us find our body reacts to the alien object in our arm which causes the sensor to report random numbers for a day or two. Applying the sensor 24 hour or so before activating allows our arm to get used to the sensor and settle down. Some people have no trouble and can activate on the day it was inserted with no problem.
- highs and lows. CGMs are calibrated to be most accurate at "normal" levels. Therefore, it is recommended to check highs and lows with a finger prick before treating .. unless you know you feel a hypo.
- drifting. Sometimes, the accuracy of a sensor can drift over its life, especially in the last few days. I always double check it with a finger prick once a day to give myself peace of mind. Best to choose a time when levels are "normal" (not high or low) and stable such as just before going to bed.
- sticking low or high. CGMs read interstitial luid rather than blood. This reacts about 10 to 15 minutes after blood glucose rises and falls. Libre takes this into consideration by extrapolating the current trend. This is great most of the time but when the trend changes direction (such as correcting a hypo), the graphs can take some time to catch up. This gives the impression you are low (or high) for longer than you are. It also appears to be a quirk where a value can "disappear' when it is overwritten when Libre catches up on trends. Again, a reason for double checking with a finger prick.
- failures. Sadly, CGMs can fail. Abbott are pretty good at replacing failed sensors if you contact them. Even though you are funded by the NHS, it is still recommended to contact Abbott and get replacements - the NHS should not have to pay for faulty products.

I think that is it but sure someone will come back with the things I have forgotten.

Yes I’m ok at that level.
if you aren’t feeling hypo when your bg is below 4 then I’d set the libre alarm at 5 and treat early to avoid going below 4. That would help to increase your hypo symptoms. Remember that not having hypo symptoms would mean a risk of losing your driving licence if you drive, so it’s something to improve before it becomes an issue if possible.

Congrats on getting a libre! Do bear in mind some people get on well with libre, but others get on better with an alternative...so if you find libre doesn't work for you don't give up on cgms, just try a different one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back