Help getting a Libre 2 please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashcroft

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Tried my GP. I am Type 1 and have been for nearly 40 years. He has said not possible without going via Diabetes Service, which I believe is incorrect now. How can I overcome this barrier please? I have good control so don’t meet the criteria they are saying. Do I need to insist on seeing Diabetes Service or can I insist that I am prescribed the sensors ( I need to purchase the device myself anyway I’m told).

Last edited:
If you have a compatible mobile phone then you don't need a "device" as you just download the app and use your phone to scan the sensors.
I bought a reader when I originally self funded the Libre and I personally prefer the reader because it is small and easy to scan, but that might be a sticking point with your GP if you don't have a compatible phone. I imagine the diabetes clinics will have a limited stock of readers supplied by the Abbott rep, but I doubt the GP would be able to access or prescribe one, but if you have a compatible phone you wouldn't need a reader.

If your GP continues to be difficult I believe Professor Partha Kar who is the Diabetes lead within NHS England is prepared to advocate for individuals like yourself with the relevant "difficult" GPs and encourage them to do "the right thing". I believe @Bruce Stephens will have an email address for him if you need it. In the meantime, you could apply for a free 14 day Libre trial from the Freestyle Libre website if you haven't done that already... again. you would need a suitable smart phone to use as a scanner.

If you have a compatible mobile phone then you don't need a "device" as you just download the app and use your phone to scan the sensors.
I bought a reader when I originally self funded the Libre and I personally prefer the reader because it is small and easy to scan, but that might be a sticking point with your GP if you don't have a compatible phone. I imagine the diabetes clinics will have a limited stock of readers supplied by the Abbott rep, but I doubt the GP would be able to access or prescribe one, but if you have a compatible phone you wouldn't need a reader.

If your GP continues to be difficult I believe Professor Partha Kar who is the Diabetes lead within NHS England is prepared to advocate for individuals like yourself with the relevant "difficult" GPs and encourage them to do "the right thing". I believe @Bruce Stephens will have an email address for him if you need it. In the meantime, you could apply for a free 14 day Libre trial from the Freestyle Libre website if you haven't done that already... again. you would need a suitable smart phone to use as a scanner.
Hello. I wasn’t aware that you could just use an App I have an iPhone so it will be suitable. Would you advise getting a device anyway as back up though? I have decided to apply for a free trial while I’m fighting for the prescription to be provided so does that mean the App or the Device?

Would you advise getting a device anyway as back up though?
You don’t need a reader if you have a compatible smartphone, just scan with the phone

Hello. I wasn’t aware that you could just use an App I have an iPhone so it will be suitable. Would you advise getting a device anyway as back up though? I have decided to apply for a free trial while I’m fighting for the prescription to be provided so does that mean the App or the Device?
The free trial involves one sensor (with applicator) and you will need to download the LibreLink app onto your phone in order to scan it.

Would you advise getting a device anyway as back up though?
Presuming you use the official LibreLink app, to allow scanning a sensor with both you must initialise with the reader. But then only the reader can offer alarms. Most likely you'll be OK with just your phone. And using your phone makes it easy to upload the data to LibreView which can store more data and allows sharing of it with your healthcare team (should that be useful).

If you also use Novo Nordisk insulins (like NovoRapid, Levemir, etc.) then the latest reusable pens (Novopen 6, Novopen Echo Plus) can be scanned by the same LibreLink app so your insulin doses can also easily be recorded. (With the significant irritation that if you want it to be accurate you have to mark air shots by hand.)

Presuming you use the official LibreLink app, to allow scanning a sensor with both you must initialise with the reader. But then only the reader can offer alarms. Most likely you'll be OK with just your phone. And using your phone makes it easy to upload the data to LibreView which can store more data and allows sharing of it with your healthcare team (should that be useful).

If you also use Novo Nordisk insulins (like NovoRapid, Levemir, etc.) then the latest reusable pens (Novopen 6, Novopen Echo Plus) can be scanned by the same LibreLink app so your insulin doses can also easily be recorded. (With the significant irritation that if you want it to be accurate you have to mark air shots by hand.)
Thank you. I do want / need an alarm. I live on my own so now feel I need something to alert me especially during the night. Also I want my son to have access to the levels and warning. I don’t have a pen, still use needles for my insulins.

Also I want my son to have access to the levels and warning.
Then it's worth having a look at https://librelinkup.com/ which is supposed to support this. (I've no experience in how it works, so possibly it'll turn out not to be suitable for you.)
I don’t have a pen, still use needles for my insulins.
Still vials and syringes? I must admit I was happy to switch over to pens as soon as I knew they were available, initially disposable pens but now reusable ones (with cartridges).

A big advantage with the reusable pens is that they remember when I last injected and (less importantly) the dose, so it's easy to double check whether I've taken a dose.

Regarding Libre Readers (as opposed to using the LibreLink phone app). These are rarely available to buy. There does not appear to be a way to purchase them from the Freestyle Libre website.
I had one back in the days of Libre 1 but have always favoured using the phone app so never bothered with the Libre 2 reader.

These are rarely available to buy.
No, they seem to have stopped selling them. I suspect they're still being manufactured, so I suspect DSNs might still get some to give away and I suspect if someone phones them with a good reason (for example that their phone doesn't seem to work right with the sensor) they'll get sent one.

Do you mean a syringe? Any reason you don’t use insulin pens?
My insulin types are not suitable. I use a long acting twice a day at 6am and 6 pm then take fast acting for bfast and evening meal as and when needed. Long acting is Porcine.

No, they seem to have stopped selling them. I suspect they're still being manufactured, so I suspect DSNs might still get some to give away and I suspect if someone phones them with a good reason (for example that their phone doesn't seem to work right with the sensor) they'll get sent one.
Oh ok. Thank you. I’ve been trying to get through on chat for 2 hours and given up! Wanted to know how to buy one. I’ve requested a call back for during the week.

Thank you. I do want / need an alarm. I live on my own so now feel I need something to alert me especially during the night. Also I want my son to have access to the levels and warning. I don’t have a pen, still use needles for my insulins.
@Bruce Stephens - do you have the contact details for the Professor mentioned in this thread please?

My insulin types are not suitable. I use a long acting twice a day at 6am and 6 pm then take fast acting for bfast and evening meal as and when needed. Long acting is Porcine.
Is it this one? Website says it’s suitable for insulin pens. What fast acting do you use?

Attachments

• IMG_6232.png
    IMG_6232.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 9
It really sounds like your diabetes management has been left behind in the last century and needs a thorough overhaul/update to benefit from modern improvements. I know some people grow to really trust these regimes which have been keeping them alive for many years and be resistant to change and I can understand that, but I think most of us feel that there is a huge benefit in the modern technology available and as you get older I think it is important to make your diabetes management as easy as possible. I know my dexterity on a morning is not the best as my hands are stiff first thing and I am sure dialing up a dose on a pen and pressing a button is a lot easier than drawing up insulin in a syringe and injecting it. I am going to guess the needles are also probably finer on the pens and the benefit of being able to double check the pen to see if I really did inject that last dose is something that I greatly value and use a lot.
I really think you should be pushing for an appointment at a diabetes clinic to find out what is now available and what you might like to try.... and to get Libre sensors on prescription if your GP continues to resist. It is important to understand that you have the choice of which if any changes you want to make so don't feel like you will be forced into any change you are not comfortable with, but seeing and having the opportunity to try new stuff will hopefully convince you that it can make your life easier.

As an example, there was a lady on my DAFNE course who had been diagnosed 50 years and was using what I can only describe as a metal gun to inject her Lantus and she only needed 2 units a day but hypoed almost every night sometimes requiring paramedics and went high the next morning... into the mid teens. It turned out that the mechanism on her "insulin gun" was worn and it was not dispensing the correct amount of insulin. She had been reluctant to change for more than 20 years because in her mind this piece of kit was familiar and she trusted it even though it was almost killing her!! She is now on an insulin pump and managing much much better.

Is it this one? Website says it’s suitable for insulin pens. What fast acting do you use?
Hi. Yes it is. I use Actrapid but last time I asked about they said it wasn’t compatible with a pen. I have at least 3 injections per day as like the flexibility of changing when I eat, at weekends especially. I have long acting fixed times then take fast acting before evening meal and bfast if get up late. Don’t always mix but sometimes I do. Not sure pens are that flexible as maybe pre mixed? I am old style I know but had great difficulty years ago when forced to change from porcine based fast acting to actrapid. Don’t want to rock the boat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back