Help ! Discovery sheet - a weeks all day finger pricks, with food list . 2 Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking at the sheet in more detail , it seems I'm not eating enough. I don't have snacks and certainly not much fruit. I luv fruit . My diet has improved since reading this and your posts. There was misunderstanding about my diet from the beginning 4 months ago.
Lets hope Monday will sort this. I'll ask or find a dietician who can put me on the right road.

You’ll get the final answer by knowing what diabetes type you are really. If you’re LADA, you’ll need insulin now or soon, and can then eat a normal diet basically. If you’re Type 2, then your diet might need to limit the carb amount, depending on your blood sugar results.

You’ll get the final answer by knowing what diabetes type you are really. If you’re LADA, you’ll need insulin now or soon, and can then eat a normal diet basically. If you’re Type 2, then your diet might need to limit the carb amount, depending on your blood sugar results.
Okay got it.. I m looking for LADA info. I'll try the forum .

Ah ha well well well. 😱
It looks as if i misunderstood the Nurses. I cut back on sugar then carbs. Lets hope the results show something helpful after not eating normally.
People inc yourself advised eating more normally. But I'd gone without a lot of foodstuffs.

Lost 8-10lbs in 10weeks. Now 56kg. Not happy with that.

Last edited:
Doc phoned but no test results available. She didn't sanction them the Diabetic overseer did.
HOWEVER I did make it clear how muddled I am . Im going to put a message up on their message board to say I must know wot diet to follow when the results are in.

The tests can take a while to come back @Jenny105 Certainly longer than normal blood tests that take a few days.

So it seems . Ah well.... time flies .

Ah ha well well well. 😱
It looks as if i misunderstood the Nurses. I cut back on sugar then carbs. Lets hope the results show something helpful after not eating normally.
People inc yourself advised eating more normally. But I'd gone without a lot of foodstuffs.

Lost 8-10lbs in 10weeks. Now 56kg. Not happy with that.
@Inka Hi Feeling really frustrated/. I tried to find out whether I should be eating - low carbs, higher carbs; anything at all. But cant get an answer. I've got a telephone appt on Tuesday with the first nurse , the one who told me nothing about diet . I will read out your info and also @everydayupsanddowns referring to the C peptide tests. Im,
backing off carbs. Im out for 3 meals this week .Yesterdays 10.6 . Today 12.2. Both with puds for first out since Aug start.. Really cheesed off.

@Inka Hi Feeling really frustrated/. I tried to find out whether I should be eating - low carbs, higher carbs; anything at all. But cant get an answer. I've got a telephone appt on Tuesday with the first nurse , the one who told me nothing about diet . I will read out your info and also @everydayupsanddowns referring to the C peptide tests. Im,
backing off carbs. Im out for 3 meals this week .Yesterdays 10.6 . Today 12.2. Both with puds for first out since Aug start.. Really cheesed off.
I feel for your frustration but it is going to be really difficult to get a good dietary regime until you get some sort of a better diagnosis. If you have established that certain meals and food don't increase your levels too much then stick with those to try to even things out even though it may restrict variety for a while.

I feel for your frustration but it is going to be really difficult to get a good dietary regime until you get some sort of a better diagnosis. If you have established that certain meals and food don't increase your levels too much then stick with those to try to even things out even though it may restrict variety for a while.
I get your advice. It doesnt seem that simple . Some meals have come out at 10.6 but the next time 8.3 !!
Also I'm only supposed to finger prick once a day .
Im frustated because I dont know'' why''. Nor what type.
I have a phone call on tuesday with the Nurse who told me nothing saying you might be Type 1.5. This time I'll be ready with questions and with ''hubby''

I tried to find out whether I should be eating - low carbs, higher carbs; anything at all. But cant get an answer. I've got a telephone appt on Tuesday with the first nurse , the one who told me nothing about diet .

Must be so frustrating for you @Jenny105

The days and weeks are ticking past, and you still don’t seem to have been given any more clarity as to your diabetes type, or what the best approach is for you in the meantime :(

Unfortunately, I suspect the answer to the question of ‘what you should be eating’ is unlikely to be provided by your nurse. Diabetes can be frustratingly fickle, and an ideal diabetes-friendly meal plan for one person may be entitely unsuitable for another (could even and give quite different BG results, because their metabolisms, genes, and gut biomes aren’t the same). o_O

Your nurse might make some helpful suggestions, based on average responses, and recent clinical trial data, but ultimately I think you will have to take those suggestions and then filter them through the lens of your tastes, your weight aspirations, and your individual reactions to different sources and portion-sizes of carbs.

Depending on the results of the ponderings about your diabetes type, you may have to factor in the action of insulin (or perhaps an alternative med if T2). But ultimately, whatever your type, an important of the ‘right’ diet is one that gives you the BG results you are looking for (plus a plan that’s flexible enough, that you will enjoy and which you will be able to stick to. 🙂

Good luck with your conversations and appointments. Let us know how things go.

I get your advice. It doesnt seem that simple . Some meals have come out at 10.6 but the next time 8.3 !!
Also I'm only supposed to finger prick once a day .
Im frustated because I dont know'' why''. Nor what type.
I have a phone call on tuesday with the Nurse who told me nothing saying you might be Type 1.5. This time I'll be ready with questions and with ''hubby''
It might depend on what your before meal reading was, the meal may give a certain rise in blood glucose but you may have started with a higher before reading when you got 10.6 than when you got 8.3. Some meals may be different due to the time of day.
People can finger prick as many times they need to establish good management, after all it is your diabetes not your nurse's.
Some before and after meal testing might yield some useful data.

As I’ve said before @Jenny105 limiting carbs can mask the fact a person has LADA. That can delay a correct diagnosis. If someone does have LADA, early introduction of insulin can preserve their remaining beta cells longer.

Until you get the results of your tests, all you can do is wait unfortunately. Personally, as you’ve now had the tests, I’d go with a moderate amount of carbs. Once your results are back and you get a diagnosis, you can then re-assess that.

It might depend on what your before meal reading was, the meal may give a certain rise in blood glucose but you may have started with a higher before reading when you got 10.6 than when you got 8.3. Some meals may be different due to the time of day.
People can finger prick as many times they need to establish good management, after all it is your diabetes not your nurse's.
Some before and after meal testing might yield some useful data.
I was given a sjheet for a weeks Discovery. No one has commented on it. You are told not to work it out yourself. BUT I will revisit. I discover exercise makes a difference to readings

I was given a sjheet for a weeks Discovery. No one has commented on it. You are told not to work it out yourself. BUT I will revisit. I discover exercise makes a difference to readings
'You are told not to work it out yourself'. I'm not sure what you mean by that, but that might be because I am not familiar with the Discovery Sheet. Where did you get it from and how are you supposed to use it?
Hopefully you will have the results of your tests soon, it is a while since you had them done.

'You are told not to work it out yourself'. I'm not sure what you mean by that, but that might be because I am not familiar with the Discovery Sheet. Where did you get it from and how are you supposed to use it?
Hopefully you will have the results of your tests soon, it is a while since you had them done.
@Leadinglights Its a complex story. Normally people do finger prick tests everyday several times a day. I believe. I was told to do one fingerprick a day , various times thru the week. And send them in. A second nurse later said she would send me a Discovery Sheet. This being 7 tests a day for 7 days. I duly did this but have heard nothing in response. Maybe the delay in blood test results caused this. Or it never reached the right person. Apologies for the this

As I’ve said before @Jenny105 limiting carbs can mask the fact a person has LADA. That can delay a correct diagnosis. If someone does have LADA, early introduction of insulin can preserve their remaining beta cells longer.

Until you get the results of your tests, all you can do is wait unfortunately. Personally, as you’ve now had the tests, I’d go with a moderate amount of carbs. Once your results are back and you get a diagnosis, you can then re-assess that.
Hi, One test result is in . C Peptide 804 pmol/L normal is 298- 2350 Normal no action
Is that a viable result I'd upped my carbs for 2 days before but not normal diet. 2 hours before test I had ham eggs and bubble and squeak.. A few days later the finger test numbers did rise to 9 , 10, 14. as it was family birthdays week .
Plasma glucose 6.5
The antibody test isnt back yet
Telephone call with least favourite nurse tomorrow. I might find out if im type 2 or one or type 1.5 !!!!
What do U reckon?

I’m reserving judgement until you get the antibodies test back @Jenny105 Its the combination of tests that gives an answer. Google tells me occasionally people with LADA can have average C Peptide so the antibodies will be the deciding factor, I’d think.

Thanks... even on a reduced carb diet. ? I had upped the carbs for a few days beforehand but the meal before the test was ham eggs and bubble and squiak , plus eggs for breakie. Cant remember the day befores meals.!!

Nurse phoned I tried to tell her what was worrying me about the tests and their validity. She said the antibody test is in. Diabetic doctor wasnt. So I'll get a call on Friday.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back