Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iamneongamer

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Hello,
I’m sarah, 34 from Kent.
So my story is as follows, my mum had type 1 from the age of 13, she passed away of a heart attack when I was 22 Months old - she was 37

About 4 years ago I was told I had prediabetes. My levels have always fluctatued between the low and high end of this.
I lost weight and then put it back on.
I am overweight and 4ft11.5. -15 stone.
I am however quite fit - I work with kids so always moving !

18 months ago my brother, then aged 41 was diagnosed with Type 1. They now think he has LADA and taken insulin.

I had a blood test middle of April and I saw the diabetic nurse last Thursday. My level was 49 so I assumed she was going to tell me I needed to change my diet and aim to reverse it BUT instead she told me for my age, I should not be be type 2, regardless of my weight and she was very surprised to think I’m type 1 for my age and things I could have type 1 or MODY.
She has put me on metformin which I’m not happy about because I think I can do this via diet and if I’m type 1 is metformin going to help me. She said I need to see an endocrinologist but that is likely to take 6 months and so the metformin will help prevent me developing complications.
She said I don’t yet need to test my sugar until we know what type I am.
The metformin has given me terrible “wind” and I’ve only taken 4 tablets - it’s embarrassing !!
I just wondered any of the above makes sense and what I can do whilst waiting for an appointment with the endocrinologist.
I’m seeing the GP on Wednesday and will be asking where we go from here….

Welcome to the forum
With a family history of Type 1 then there is a possibility that could apply to you so hopefully you will be offered the tests which could confirm that.
With an HbA1C of 49 mmol/mol you are just in the diabetic zone so many GP would give you the opportunity to bring it down by dietary changes, metformin only helps the body use any insulin it is producing more effectively in the case of when somebody has insulin resistance and that can be the case whether Type 2 or Type 1.
However some people do find the stomach issues you describe. it often will settle down and can be helped by taking the tablet mid meal. If it continues ask for slow release if they are insistent on it being the best option for you, but it is your decision whether you take it or not.
The most important thing you can do is make some dietary changes to reduce the carbohydrates in your meals.
This link may help you with some ideas to modify your meals. It is a low cab approach that being less than 130g TOTAL carbs per day, https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/ which has been successful in reducing blood glucose and for weight loss. Whatever way you choose has to be sustainable so must be a regime you enjoy.

Thank you So much for your reply.
I did mentioned about how I’d been cutting carbs out but the nurse said I needed some otherwise I’ll have no energy, She suggested I eat with metformin so I have been having 2 x slices toast and low sugar cereal for breakfast.
I don’t snack and then have a lunch of crackers, cheese and grapes.

If I get hungry in the afternoon, I’ll have 1 x slice of toast and some cheese or fruit.

Then later for dinner it’s meat or fish with lots of veg, such as Brussell spouts, courgette and carrots, Occasionally I’ll have some carbs such as 3 x small roast potatoes or micro chips but I’ve managed to have broccoli cheese or cauliflower cheese in replace of a carb.

I don’t feel like that’s too many carbs - mainly breakfast.

The biggest change for me is no chocolate. I’ve been ok without it but last night I had a Thurs of a Cadbury fredo bar.

Welcome @Iamneongamer 🙂 With the family history of Type 1, it's sensible of the nurse to keep it in mind (and MODY too). On the other hand, as your BMI is very high, it’s perfectly possible you have Type 2. If so, losing weight will be a big help to you in many ways.

I’d cut some of that toast out personally. There’s no need to have toast as a snack really nor in addition to cereal if you’re struggling with your weight. I think limiting carbs would be sensible. You don’t need to cut them all out, but limiting them strictly to start with might help you start to lose weight and be a boost.

I’d also swap the grapes for berries at lunch.

Thank you So much for your reply.
I did mentioned about how I’d been cutting carbs out but the nurse said I needed some otherwise I’ll have no energy, She suggested I eat with metformin so I have been having 2 x slices toast and low sugar cereal for breakfast.
I don’t snack and then have a lunch of crackers, cheese and grapes.

If I get hungry in the afternoon, I’ll have 1 x slice of toast and some cheese or fruit.

Then later for dinner it’s meat or fish with lots of veg, such as Brussell spouts, courgette and carrots, Occasionally I’ll have some carbs such as 3 x small roast potatoes or micro chips but I’ve managed to have broccoli cheese or cauliflower cheese in replace of a carb.

I don’t feel like that’s too many carbs - mainly breakfast.

The biggest change for me is no chocolate. I’ve been ok without it but last night I had a Thurs of a Cadbury fredo bar.
Breakfast is one of the times when people are more sensitive to carbs, and even low sugar cereal is pretty high cab for a normal portion and then adding toast makes for a very high carb meal.
Many people have full fat Greek yoghurt with just a very small portion of cereal with berries or eggs in any form, or bacon and mushrooms or tomatoes with maybe a low carb bread.
For lunch you could add some salad or coleslaw or cooked meat or tuna, and you may then not be hungry in the afternoon.
Protein bars like nature valley or KIND or shop own are low carb less than 10g carb per bar for a snack.
Butternut squash or celeriac is a good alternative to potatoes.
For deserts sugarfree jelly with berries and cream or High protein deserts like Kvarg or Arla are low carb and low fat.
You do not need to have no carbs but watch the portion size.
By increasing protein and healthy fats you will still have energy probably more so than if you have more carbs.

Thank you.
I have a weird work schedule so I need something quick. The main reason the toast and cereal is because the nurse suggested I eat a decent amount to avoid an upset stomach on metformin. I suggest toast and cereal and she said yes.
I will reduce to one slice in the morning and also have less cereal.

I will also cut out the toast for afternoon snack.
Having breakfast is quite a change as I used to skip it quite a lot !

I will continue to press the gp for how we go forwards, i sue ask the nurse for a blood glucose testing kit but she said until we know what type I can’t have one. This is frustrating because I need to see and learn what foods are doing to me !

Thank you.
I have a weird work schedule so I need something quick. The main reason the toast and cereal is because the nurse suggested I eat a decent amount to avoid an upset stomach on metformin. I suggest toast and cereal and she said yes.
I will reduce to one slice in the morning and also have less cereal.

I will also cut out the toast for afternoon snack.
Having breakfast is quite a change as I used to skip it quite a lot !

I will continue to press the gp for how we go forwards, i sue ask the nurse for a blood glucose testing kit but she said until we know what type I can’t have one. This is frustrating because I need to see and learn what foods are doing to me !
You can purchase one on line, the GlucoNavil is one with the cheapest test strips at £13 per 100 and the monitor £10, many people who are Type 2 do not get a monitor prescribed so self fund.
You would be better with a protein breakfast or healthy fat like Greek yoghurt with berries which would be just as quick as cereal and far less carbs. If you are having toast then have some cheese or peanut butter rather than also having cereal.

You can purchase one on line, the GlucoNavil is one with the cheapest test strips at £13 per 100 and the monitor £10, many people who are Type 2 do not get a monitor prescribed so self fund.
You would be better with a protein breakfast or healthy fat like Greek yoghurt with berries which would be just as quick as cereal and far less carbs. If you are having toast then have some cheese or peanut butter rather than also having cereal.
Thanks. I’ll grab some greek yogurt and berries. I’ll aim to skip the toast too. Just don’t want to risk the upset tummy. Although I may have the yogurt and berries for my super early shift and have scrambled eggs and bacon for lunch !

Hi there, I just want to add my little bit as I’ve been in a similar situation and it can be very tough.
I was diagnosed at 43, as slim type 2. Since then my diagnosis has changed several times and is still not determined 18 months later. The problem is the endocrinologist consultants can take a very long time to see you these days. I do have a small amount of antibodies, but I seem to tick at least one box for every type. I ended up paying private for a consultant. Cost £140 but he arranged all the testing through the nhs.. I’m awaiting my MODY results right now. What you really need is a blood c peptide test, type 1 antibody to start off with, if they are inconclusive then MODY is sometimes suspected. A really good case has to be put forward to do the MODY test as it’s expensive and time consuming. Type 1 in the family could make MODY and type 1 more likely, but weight issues can point to type 2. My hba1c has been about 39-42 for over 20 years! I had no idea of this until I was diagnosed diabetic! This what caused the MODY query, apparently some folks sugar thermostat is just set too high, i said well my parents/siblings don’t have it and the doctor said well they may, just that their thermostats stayed in check and stayed under the radar.

Welcome to the forum @Iamneongamer

Sorry you are caught in the general healthcare chaos post-Covid that makes everything take such a long time. Sounds like you are making very positive changes, that should hopefully help your system manage BG levels while you are awaiting your referral.

Glad you have joined us, and keep us posted with how things are going 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back