Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, since 2012 but fed up with the meds now and want to try somehow to come off them

Hello and welcome

There are a number of Type 2s here who have had success in putting their diabetes into remission. It’s quiet on the forum today but I’m sure some more Type 2s will be along to comment.

If you’re having particular issues eg with diet, highs at certain times of the day, etc etc, do start a thread specifically about that problem. There’s a wealth of experience here 🙂

It is certainly possible to beat type 2 into remission for some.

I seem to be successful in that.

I cut down the carbs from over 300g a day to less than 100g a day. Some days down to about 70g. Some here have somehow managed to cut down even more. I significantly increased my fat and protein and fibre intake too.

I lost a lot of weight and increased my exercise from nothing to over an hours walking every day.

The diabetes ran a mile (hope it keeps on running.)

No meds since the end of the first month (about 6 months ago)

I do my blood glucose tests on waking and early afternoon every day so that I know roughly what is going on.

And finally, I keep a detailed food diary.

I think that's about it.

Blood glucose thankfully seems to be sticking in range (since I made the changes). Last HbA1c was 39 (down from 140 at diagnosis) and I am due another in September which I hope will be lower still.

Welcome to the forum @adedav

Some people do seem to be able to reduce their need for meds by losing weight, and/or reducing the amount of carbohydrate in their diet.

But there is also no problem with continuing to take any medication you may still need. Because even those with a short history of diabetes cannot all reach the point of ‘no meds’, because everyone is different, and T2 diabetes seems to have a variety of subtypes within it.

Welcome to the forum @adedav

I am glad that you have found the forum as there is plenty of experience to tap into on here.
Whilst we all react in different ways we can draw on other people and our health care professionals (HCPs) to help us make decisions about any changes we need to make.

I am sure that there will be some tips from those on here who have been able to reduce their medication. So tap into that but be aware that we are all different and do talk to your HCPs about changes To meds that you would like to make.
keep in touch and fire away with any questions that you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back