Hello

Netrix

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I’m Jeanette and was diagnosed T2 last year after another admission for heart trouble. I was at the low end of the scale but was about 6 mths before I was put on any treatment. Started on metformin 500mg twice a day and then after chatting to consultant reduced to one per day and was given Forxiga 10mg. The forxiga will also help improve my heart failure so was happy with that.
last week I noticed I couldn’t quench my thirst (I’m restricted to 1200ml day) but was also very tired. Don’t know what made me check my blood sugars but in the morning they’re around 9, I have my meds and don’t have any diabetes meds for the rest of the day. So been checking my sugars 2 hrs after dinner and they’re around 15,16,17. Obvs with Easter I can’t speak to anyone but I’m almost afraid to eat tbh.
thanks

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Do you eat a low carb diet?
The glucose in our blood comes from the starch or sugar in our food, so a typical, ordinary type two can eat meat, seafood, eggs or cheese, or have full fat yoghurt, cream in coffee, and eat low carb veges and salad with little effect on blood glucose.

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Jeanette and welcome. Could I ask what a typical meal consists of?

Netrix

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The glucose in our blood comes from the starch or sugar in our food, so a typical, ordinary type two can eat meat, seafood, eggs or cheese, or have full fat yoghurt, cream in coffee, and eat low carb veges and salad with little effect on blood glucose.
Yes I try to eat low carb and if I have rice for example it’s literally a small spoonful. I love salads but not a great fan of meat so have been feeling hungry. I drink milk and have fish and veg and drink water or if I want a fizzy drink it’s Coke Zero

Netrix

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Jeanette and welcome. Could I ask what a typical meal consists of?
I love salad but limited to the amount of green as then my INR goes out of sync but cherry tomatoes, celery, cucumber small portion of cheese, pitta pocket. Or a home made veg soup or lentil and pepper soup, boiled or poached egg on a slice of toast, small spoon of mash, cauliflower chicken or no meat more veg

Cherrelle DUK

Online Community Coordinator
Staff member
Hi Jeanette, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about the health challenges you've been happening. I can understand being afraid to eat though it's important to keep your strength up as you don't want one issue to cause another.

Hopefully you'll be able to speak with someone soon so they can look into this for you. It might be worth keeping a bit of a food diary so you can see if there are any hidden culprits that may be impacting your numbers.

It may be an adjustment in medication would help so do get onto them to check it out.

Netrix

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Jeanette, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about the health challenges you've been happening. I can understand being afraid to eat though it's important to keep your strength up as you don't want one issue to cause another.

Hopefully you'll be able to speak with someone soon so they can look into this for you. It might be worth keeping a bit of a food diary so you can see if there are any hidden culprits that may be impacting your numbers.

It may be an adjustment in medication would help so do get onto them to check it out.
Thank you yes hopefully speaking to dietitian tomorrow just waiting on her returning a call

Netrix

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hope you manage to get an appointment and get your medicatjin reviewed @Netrix - seems like you are working hard to keep the carbs low in your diet. There’s no one target to aim for as people are so different. Some members here find 100g a day works well for them, while for others it has to be less than 50g to keep their BGs happy.

Those elevated BGs could be making you feel quite weary and washed out. And once you get above 10mmol/L your kidneys try to flush out the excess glucose which makes you wee more, and then makes you thirsty.

Hopefully a review of your meds, and a possible tweak to your menu will help get your BGs back towards a range your body is happier with.