Hello

Catlady 1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just to introduce myself and say hi.
Over 60 year old with type 2, diagnosed probably 20 years ago. First diet control, then metformine, and now trialling just Jardiance.
I walk loads so fit and generally healthy, also reasonable with my eating habits, but like most I suspect, have my moments!

Welcome to the forum @Catlady 1

How has your diabetes been treating you over the years?

And how are you getting on with Jardiance? We have a few members on Empagliflozin. It’s a med that works by encouraging your body to excrete excess glucose in urine. You may be more likely to get thrush / yeast infections with it, but many on the forum have found it very effective.

The NHS write-up is here

And you can read forum members’ experiences by browsing some of these threads where it’s mentioned

hello and welcome 🙂

Welcome to the forum @Catlady 1

How has your diabetes been treating you over the years?

And how are you getting on with Jardiance? We have a few members on Empagliflozin. It’s a med that works by encouraging your body to excrete excess glucose in urine. You may be more likely to get thrush / yeast infections with it, but many on the forum have found it very effective.

The NHS write-up is here

And you can read forum members’ experiences by browsing some of these threads where it’s mentioned
Hi, and Thankyou for the links. I have generally been ok, though like all I suspect, control more difficult in times of stress and illness. Plus generic metformine having adverse effects.
I’m only on 10mg Jardiance, and had blood tests yesterday (after first month), to see if I am tolerating it. All good, no side effects so far, but….this amount is not effective as my bloods continually high, and I have experienced hypers. Doctor on Tuesday so I anticipate a higher dose.
Thankyou again and I’ll look at the other threads

I’m only on 10mg Jardiance, and had blood tests yesterday (after first month), to see if I am tolerating it. All good, no side effects so far, but….this amount is not effective as my bloods continually high, and I have experienced hypers. Doctor on Tuesday so I anticipate a higher dose.

Have you been keeping track of the amount of carbohydrate (not just ‘of which sugars’ in your diet? Many folks here find it easier to balance meds and menu by aiming for approx 130g of total carbs per day.

Sometimes keeping a brutally honest food diary for a week or two (with an estimate of total carbs per meal) can help you identify your ‘big hitters’ that are likely to be raising your glucose levels the most.

Yes. I used to follow a very low carb diet, and was dietary controlled for years. Now I eat just a bit more as had started hypos. With this med though my fasting bloods in the morning can be 8+, and overnight I can see they stay at between 6 and 8. So any food, even minimal carbs sends it very high. This is the only med I am taking at the moment.

Yes. I used to follow a very low carb diet, and was dietary controlled for years. Now I eat just a bit more as had started hypos. With this med though my fasting bloods in the morning can be 8+, and overnight I can see they stay at between 6 and 8. So any food, even minimal carbs sends it very high. This is the only med I am taking at the moment.
When you say minimal carbs what sort of amount would a typical meal be and have you tested before and 2 hours after eating to actually see what the increase is and what level it is. That would tell you if the meal is too high carb.
You may just have to give it a bit of time to see the effectiveness of the new medication.

Back