Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Alison and welcome.

How are you managing with your diagnosis, both practically and emotionally. I think we all know it can be pretty overwhelming for the first few months but hopefully you are over the worst of that now.

How do you manage it? ie. Diet (and if so which) and/or exercise and/or medication in which case would you like to tell us what you have been prescribed?

Is there anything particular that brings you to the forum at this time.... a particular question perhaps or just wanting to feel a bit less alone with it? A diabetes diagnosis can be quite isolating. Anyway, you are amongst friends here, so do make yourself at home and feel free to ask any questions that you have.

Thank you for responding, I was really quite traumatised when I was first diagnosed especially as my Hb1ac was 97 and was put straight onto insulin, I then had to have a ct scan as the nurse thought I had something wrong with my pancreas, luckily that was ok. I went on a 6 week expert course which really opened my eyes to what is best to eat and drink, my last Hb1ac was 48 which is so much better I am now trying to get of the insulin as I have developed a rash and itching where I inject I now am taking metformin and reduced my insulin, the next step is going onto empagliflozin which I am quite nervous about taking it, that is one of the reasons I joined today to find out if anyone else is taking this medication and what are the side effects also I take ramipril for high blood pressure and I did read that I shouldn’t take empagliflozin with this, if anyone could help me I would be very grateful

Welcome @Alisonbareham 🙂 Sorry to hear your insulin is causing you problems. Which insulin is it?

You might be best starting a new thread for your question on the General Messageboard so that you can put the key words Empagliflozin and Ramipril in the title to catch the attention of users🙂

Good to hear that they checked you out for pancreatic issues, although obviously alarming for you at the time, but far better that they are thorough and get you relevant treatment than just simply assume you are Type 2 as many of us were. It might also have been prudent to checking for Type 1 diabetes as well. It is quite surprising that they put you straight onto insulin. My HbA1c was 114 at diagnosis and I was started on Metformin and then Gliclazide added a couple of weeks later and I was only started on insulin 6 weeks down the line when stringent carb reduction and the medication failed to make any difference and in fact my HbA1c went up slightly to 116. It was a couple of months later that I was tested for Type 1 and found to be positive. There are other forum members who were as of a similar HbA1c level and got their levels down mostly through dietary changes and perhaps Metformin. Lifestyle changes (diet and exercise) are a very powerful means of managing Type 2 diabetes for many people, providing you have good advice. There are however different approaches and finding what works for you and your lifestyle is about checking out the different options and trying the one that appeals to you most... and if that doesn't give you good results, then try a different approach.

Do you have much/any weight to lose and did you have any noticeable weight loss at diagnosis? Just wondering if this might have triggered the request for a pancreatic scan?

Thank you for I will try that

Welcome to the forum @Alisonbareham

It might also be helpful to chat to a qualified pharmacist - your local High St chemist will have one. They are the HCPs who should be most informed and up to date on the latest research for any possible interactions between multiple medications. And they can be easier to get hold of than a GP for many people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back