Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Gliclazide can cause hypos but hopefully you’ve been given a blood glucose meter to check your blood sugar so that you can see in good time if it’s dropping too low. It’s also likely that you’ve been started on a moderate dose of Gliclazide to begin with.

There’s some basic info about hypos here:

To treat hypos, use glucose. You can buy Dextro glucose tablets or others or you could use jelly babies. Both those things will raise your blood sugar quickly.

Yes, Gliclazide can cause hypos but hopefully you’ve been given a blood glucose meter to check your blood sugar so that you can see in good time if it’s dropping too low. It’s also likely that you’ve been started on a moderate dose of Gliclazide to begin with.

There’s some basic info about hypos here:

To treat hypos, use glucose. You can buy Dextro glucose tablets or others or you could use jelly babies. Both those things will raise your blood sugar quickly.
Also how often to I have to check my sugar levels

Also how often to I have to check my sugar levels

I’d check them quite frequently to begin with so you can get an idea of what your blood sugar is doing. If you keep notes about what you eat, those and your blood sugar readings will provide really useful information for your nurse/doctor and for you.

I’d test as soon as you wake up (fasting reading), 2hrs after breakfast (ie two hours after the start time of your breakfast), again before lunch if possible and 2hrs after lunch, and the same for your evening meal. Keep records of the readings and also your food, and you’ll gradually start to see patterns.

I’d check them quite frequently to begin with so you can get an idea of what your blood sugar is doing. If you keep notes about what you eat, those and your blood sugar readings will provide really useful information for your nurse/doctor and for you.

I’d test as soon as you wake up (fasting reading), 2hrs after breakfast (ie two hours after the start time of your breakfast), again before lunch if possible and 2hrs after lunch, and the same for your evening meal. Keep records of the readings and also your food, and you’ll gradually start to see patterns.
I don’t usually eat breakfast can you suggest what I can have please

I don’t usually eat breakfast can you suggest what I can have please
If you don't normally eat breakfast then there is no need to do so but the sort of things people have is Full fat Greek yoghurt with berries, eggs in any form, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms but with only 1 slice of toast if they can tolerate it.

If you don't normally eat breakfast then there is no need to do so but the sort of things people have is Full fat Greek yoghurt with berries, eggs in any form, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms but with only 1 slice of toast if they can tolerate it.
Sorry to be asking so many questions but I wasn’t told amything about the medication, how long I will stay on it etc just anxious about taking it

Sorry to be asking so many questions but I wasn’t told amything about the medication, how long I will stay on it etc just anxious about taking it
That medication encourages your pancreas to produce more insulin to deal with high carbohydrate food so you need to be careful that when you take the medication the insulin has something to work on so you should really have been given some dietary advise as to how and when you should take the medication to avoid the risk of hypos.
I would keep some hypo treatment to hand, jelly babies or glucose tabs just in case.
Your body has some adjustments to make to get used to a new medication and dietary regime.
How long you will need to stay on it? it all depends on how your HbA1C responds.

So do I avoid carbs to avoid hypos
No hypos would be caused by you not having enough carbs which would convert to glucose for the amount of insulin you have in your system. That is why hypo treatment is a rapidly acting glucose in the form of a sugary drink or something like the glucose tabs.
Read the link posted above in #5

No hypos would be caused by you not having enough carbs which would convert to glucose for the amount of insulin you have in your system. That is why hypo treatment is a rapidly acting glucose in the form of a sugary drink or something like the glucose tabs.
Read the link posted above in #5
Are you on these meds yourself.

It sounds like you have been prescribed medication without any proper explanation about how to manage your condition with the medication and diet.

It sounds like you have been prescribed medication without any proper explanation about how to manage your condition with the medication and diet.
Yes definitely I need to get my sugar levels down so I need to get this right by march when I am being seen next

So do I avoid carbs to avoid hypos

No, most definitely not! Carbs put your blood sugar up (a hypo is when it goes down too low). The Gliclazide should help lower your blood sugar, but if it goes too low (hypo), you’ll need glucose as I described above (glucose is a fast-acting carb that will get your blood sugar back up quickly).

How often per day are you taking the Gliclazide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back