Hello, Type II here though it's somewhat out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel43

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed with Type II 4 years or so ago, managed on diet for a couple of years and then had to start taking medications after ketoacidosis due to bingeing after packing up smoking, I'm now on Empagliflozin 25mg per day though stopped it yesterday again due to testing myself, I thought I had gone back into keto flu due to having under 30grams of carbs a day for nearly a week, (Done the keto thing a year ago) I then felt ill and had run out of medication so was feeling strange for about a week after wards, since getting my repeat prescription when I took one I had horrible stomach aches and felt light headed and nauseous, finally after speaking with a gp I managed to get my keto strips today and find out i'm 2.5mmol with a sugar level of around 8mmol so i'm told to be very careful, I'm not taking the Empagliflozin as don't wish to feel ill though i still feel light headed and strange but ok, strangely enough I've had a craving for heavily salted celery. So for the time being, i'm not taking the medication and making sure I have under 30G of carbs a day which clearly make me ill anyhow. I'd have none if I could manage without them. I'm not sure if it's related but I've been having nosebleeds for a week or so now though could just be allergies but am also taking antihistamines so I'm lost.

Have you read the patient information leaflet? I believe it can cause Ketoacidosis.

Are you 100% positive you are not de hydrated? Craving salt is what the body does when it's short of water. (And as celery is chock full of water .....) Also can be a sign of other things wrong with you according to the NHS.

Hate to mention this, really, but you know Covid? - well people both with diabetes and without have been getting ketones and DKA/HHS at FAR lower BG levels than normal (ie 13.0 ish upwards)

I had DKA when taking empagliflozin, were you doing a low carb diet with it? As the low carb diet is not advised whilst taking it.

How are you doing now @Mel43 ?

Sounds like it may well be prudent to try to book a phone appointment with your GP surgery?

If you feel unwell, or have abdominal pain, perhaps call NHS111, because DKA isn’t something to be trifled with, and some of your other symptoms do sound a bit worrying. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back