Hello! Part 2 appointment?!

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear you are in such a confusing and worrying situation. You could pop into a pharmacy today and explain the situation and ask them to do a finger prick BG reading for you. It will not confirm a diagnosis but it might give you some idea of whether your levels are unusually inflated.
Make a note of when you last ate before the test and what you ate, if you manage to get one done. Ideally have it done at least 2 hours after your last food intake.

I too am curious about the autoimmune test you had done. Do you mind saying what that was for?
Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition and if you have one autoimmune condition, you are more at risk of developing others. I am just wondering if, you are experiencing diabetic symptoms, then you may also be developing Type 1 as well as whatever that test was actually for.

It isn't clear if you have found a record of the missed appointment with the diabetic nurse on your GP system and you simply hadn't been informed about it or if there is no record of the appointment on the system.
When did you have the blood test and when was the missed appointment?
Hi there thank you for your comprehensive reply!
I didn’t know about the link between autoimmune conditions and diabetes so that is really interesting. I have/had Sarcoidosis. It started in 2016 really acutely, it was awful. It causes benign tumours to grow in various organs (my lungs were the worst) plus lots of other aches, pains and general not niceness! Felt like I lived in a CT scanner at one point. Since the initial horrid year my markers and symptoms have decreased hugely and the rheumatologist consultant put me back into the care of the GP. But they still do bloods etc just to keep on top of it, but there’s not been anything worrying for years now.

The blood test was on the last day of August and the nurse appointment was meant to be on the 3rd of September. I got the letter saying I’d missed it!!! I live in communal flats and post does sometimes take weeks to actually get into the right box. However, I never received a call or letter to actually attend an appointment in the first place (they don’t routinely discuss my blood results with me unless anything shows up). Anyway so then I logged into my NHS app to see exactly what I’d missed and if there were any more details and it just says the same; the nurses name, diabetes part 2 appointment, DNA.

So annoyed I didn’t get that letter earlier in the day but it’s just typical isn’t it!

Thanks again and I hope at least some of that ramble made sense!! Jade

Hi there thank you for your comprehensive reply!
I didn’t know about the link between autoimmune conditions and diabetes so that is really interesting. I have/had Sarcoidosis. It started in 2016 really acutely, it was awful. It causes benign tumours to grow in various organs (my lungs were the worst) plus lots of other aches, pains and general not niceness! Felt like I lived in a CT scanner at one point. Since the initial horrid year my markers and symptoms have decreased hugely and the rheumatologist consultant put me back into the care of the GP. But they still do bloods etc just to keep on top of it, but there’s not been anything worrying for years now.

The blood test was on the last day of August and the nurse appointment was meant to be on the 3rd of September. I got the letter saying I’d missed it!!! I live in communal flats and post does sometimes take weeks to actually get into the right box. However, I never received a call or letter to actually attend an appointment in the first place (they don’t routinely discuss my blood results with me unless anything shows up). Anyway so then I logged into my NHS app to see exactly what I’d missed and if there were any more details and it just says the same; the nurses name, diabetes part 2 appointment, DNA.

So annoyed I didn’t get that letter earlier in the day but it’s just typical isn’t it!

Thanks again and I hope at least some of that ramble made sense!! Jade
I wonder if you have been on steroids for your condition as they can be the cause of people developing diabetes. If it is on going medication then it is harder to manage the diabetes but if short term then the diabetes can be managed, I won't say easily, by dietary changes.
Do make sure you ask what your HbA1C is if you don't already know as that will indicate how much work is needed and the likelihood of being prescribed medication.

I wonder if you have been on steroids for your condition as they can be the cause of people developing diabetes. If it is on going medication then it is harder to manage the diabetes but if short term then the diabetes can be managed, I won't say easily, by dietary changes.
Do make sure you ask what your HbA1C is if you don't already know as that will indicate how much work is needed and the likelihood of being prescribed medication.
Ah yes I was on steroids for ages! That was for the symptoms in my joints. They were injections though, could that also trigger diabetes? I’m not on them anymore, that was when the rheumatologist discharged me. My joints do still flare up and skin rashes, exhaustion, itchy eyes etc, they even tested me for Lupus last year too. I’m constantly thirsty and using the loo more but presumed that was because I was drinking so much!! I know something isn’t right, if you know what I mean… but I hadn’t even considered diabetes until I saw it in writing on the letter/app and then looked at symptoms!

I’ll defo ask on Monday for the HbA1C, thank you ☺️

Ah yes I was on steroids for ages! That was for the symptoms in my joints. They were injections though, could that also trigger diabetes? I’m not on them anymore, that was when the rheumatologist discharged me. My joints do still flare up and skin rashes, exhaustion, itchy eyes etc, they even tested me for Lupus last year too. I’m constantly thirsty and using the loo more but presumed that was because I was drinking so much!! I know something isn’t right, if you know what I mean… but I hadn’t even considered diabetes until I saw it in writing on the letter/app and then looked at symptoms!

I’ll defo ask on Monday for the HbA1C, thank you ☺️
This is a link to the main DUK site

Back