Hello! I am confused - weird symptoms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds a bit similar to a TIA (transient ischemic attack) but that would normally last longer.
One option when it happens is to call 999.
Or just go to A&E and hope they take you more seriously. My OH had a suspected TIA a couple of years ago, we rang 111 afterwards, first person we spoke to said they'd get a doctor to ring back, which took hours, doctor asked us to drive to his surgery (about 90 mins drive away, the other side of the county), then when we pointed out that R shouldn't be driving if he'd had a TIA and I don't drive, he told R to call our own GP in the morning. When R did, our GP was horrified and sent an ambulance to pick him up within an hour, which is what the first person we spoke to should have done, as a suspected TIA should be followed by an immediate brain scan. And, incidentally, although every medical professional we spoke to throughout the couple of days thought from the symptoms we described that R had had a TIA, it turned out in the end that he'd had a different kind of migraine. So nothing serious at all, and he now has excellent migraine meds.

Or just go to A&E and hope they take you more seriously. My OH had a suspected TIA a couple of years ago, we rang 111 afterwards, first person we spoke to said they'd get a doctor to ring back, which took hours, doctor asked us to drive to his surgery (about 90 mins drive away, the other side of the county), then when we pointed out that R shouldn't be driving if he'd had a TIA and I don't drive, he told R to call our own GP in the morning. When R did, our GP was horrified and sent an ambulance to pick him up within an hour, which is what the first person we spoke to should have done, as a suspected TIA should be followed by an immediate brain scan. And, incidentally, although every medical professional we spoke to throughout the couple of days thought from the symptoms we described that R had had a TIA, it turned out in the end that he'd had a different kind of migraine. So nothing serious at all, and he now has excellent migraine meds.
When this happened to my OH I called 999 and the ambulance was there within minutes, I was incredibly impressed, they took him to A &E and was sent directly to the stroke unit and put on anticoaggulants and sent for a brain scan, he was put on a trial of a cocktail of medications for a few weeks, 1 of which he remains on but has had no further incident (touch wood).
These things do need to be taken seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back