Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue-16

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi All,

In mid-April I will be starting the 'Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme'. I am wondering if anyone of you has been on the programme & how useful you found it. I am looking forward to it as from the information on what the programme covers looks like it could be helpful to me! I was referred to the programme by my GP Practice!

I know - it is quite a long programme 9 to 10 months I believe!

So, if you been on the programme or still on it - how useful did you the programme/how useful are you finding the programme?

If you did the programme I really hope that you found it useful, helpful, informatve & enjoyable! And if you are currently on the programme that you are find it useful, helpful, informative & enjoyable!

Blue-16
(Susan)

So, if you been on the programme or still on it - how useful did you the programme/how useful are you finding the programme?
Full disclosure I haven't been on the programme but looking at this from their website and what I know about food and T2 diabetes
Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 08.33.52.png

I'm not sure it will be very helpful.

If it is similar to the DESMOND program then as long as you go with an open mind about the balance of carbs, protein, fats and veg suggested it can be useful. I did the on line version and certainly it was simplistic and basic and too carb heavy for me.

Many programmes offered to Type2 seem to get mixed reviews, and dependant sometimes on those leading the programme.

My sister did it, lost some weight, reversed her risk of diabetes and so had to leave the course as she’d improved things so much. She didn’t cut out or count carbs whatsoever.

Hi. Unless the NHS has moved on from the 1/3rd Carbs mantra in my opinion it could be a waste of time. They will probably talk about Calories rather than Carbs and so on. Yes, the picture of a wholegrain loaf says all.

Hi All,

In mid-April I will be starting the 'Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme'. I am wondering if anyone of you has been on the programme & how useful you found it. I am looking forward to it as from the information on what the programme covers looks like it could be helpful to me! I was referred to the programme by my GP Practice!

I know - it is quite a long programme 9 to 10 months I believe!

If you did the programme I really hope that you found it useful, helpful, informatve & enjoyable! And if you are currently on the programme that you are find it useful, helpful, informative & enjoyable!

Blue-16
(Susan)

I went on every course or group offered.
They were all excellent, the level of support offered was very high, and the courses and people I met provided the groundwork to reverse my diabetes.

I started it but then Covid and lockdown came along and it moved over to group phone call. We don't have a landline and my mobile signal isn't the best so after 2 weeks, there was no point trying to take part
As others have said, it's along the same lines as the Desmond course.. I would suggest, go along.

My sister did it, lost some weight, reversed her risk of diabetes and so had to leave the course as she’d improved things so much. She didn’t cut out or count carbs whatsoever.

Wow! What a cracking result @Lucyr 🙂

Hi All,

I full intentions of attending the programme. Thankfully I was able to choose the time & location which would be best for me. Since I have epilepsy - in good control although I still have the occassional seizure - I can't drive & so preferred to have it in my town which either on a good bus riute or walking distance away & during the daytime hours! The location of my Programme is only a short walking distance from where I live & its during the afternoon so very suitable for me!

Thank for all for you advice, information & input. Your help I really appreciate!

Blue-16!
(Susan)

Hi All!

Tomorrow I will be starting my Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme so my this time, I would of had my first session as it should end by 5:15pm. It starts at 3:45pm. I was told that each most likely be 1 1/2 hrs long. So, I by this time tomorrow I will know more about the programme!

Blue-16
(Susan)

Not the same thing I know but I’ve just finished the XPERT course and that was really good. The dietitian advice was bang up to date for diabetics, i.e. replacing carbs with fats.

I would highly recommend this one.

Hi. Unless the NHS has moved on from the 1/3rd Carbs mantra in my opinion it could be a waste of time. They will probably talk about Calories rather than Carbs and so on. Yes, the picture of a wholegrain loaf says all.
This appears at the top of every page on this forum
  • Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions about diabetes. Everyone manages their health differently. Please be mindful of this.
As @Lucyr mention the course has helped some people.

Not the same thing I know but I’ve just finished the XPERT course and that was really good. The dietitian advice was bang up to date for diabetics, i.e. replacing carbs with fats.

I would highly recommend this one.
The feedback from members over the years, who have done this often have mixed reports on all courses aimed at Type 2.

Hi All,

I started the programme today and I think I find it beneficial! Of course, I know how beneficial will actually be once I'm onto the programme or when it has stopped - which should be early next year! My next session is a month from now! They usually have them every two weeks at the beginning but because of all the bank holidays in May the next one is a month away! I think the next few after that are every two weeks then it will once a month!

Blue-16
(Susan)

Hi All,

I started the programme today and I think I find it beneficial! Of course, I know how beneficial will actually be once I'm onto the programme or when it has stopped - which should be early next year! My next session is a month from now! They usually have them every two weeks at the beginning but because of all the bank holidays in May the next one is a month away! I think the next few after that are every two weeks then it will once a month!

Blue-16
(Susan)
I hope you have gleaned something you can implement straight away as making changes as soon as you can is a good idea.
Check this link out to see how it compares and some ideas to get you started. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Hi All,

Blue-16
(Susan)

Sounds like it's been a good starter. 🙂

If it is similar to the DESMOND program then as long as you go with an open mind about the balance of carbs, protein, fats and veg suggested it can be useful. I did the on line version and certainly it was simplistic and basic and too carb heavy for me.
I'm due to go on a "Face to Face Type 2 Education Group Programme" run by Diabetes Care for You, in Brighton. Whatever that entails. I guess it might be similar to DESMOND in a few weeks time. Can't say I'm to excited about it...

I'm due to go on a "Face to Face Type 2 Education Group Programme" run by Diabetes Care for You, in Brighton. Whatever that entails. I guess it might be similar to DESMOND in a few weeks time. Can't say I'm to excited about it...

No one can make you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back