Health Anxiety Research Project- online questionnaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Hi everyone,

I am a MSc Psychology student at Liverpool Hope University and I am currently carrying out research regarding health anxiety amongst individuals with diabetes.

The research involves an online questionnaire which is completely anonymous and shouldn't take long. You don't have to have anxiety regarding your diabetes to participate.

If you have been diagnosed with diabetes and would like to take part please click on this link https://lhubos.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/levels-of-health-anxiety-amongst-individuals-with-diabetes

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Can't help as don't suffer from anxiety regarding my diabetes or other conditions.

Sorry like Pumper Sue I can't help

Hi Hannah all completed, im now off to soak my feet in alcohol for an hour :D

Can't help as don't suffer from anxiety regarding my diabetes or other conditions.
Hi thanks for replying! You don't have to have anxiety regarding your diabetes to complete the questionnaire. The aim of the research is to see what factors affect health anxiety levels whether high or low.

Sorry like Pumper Sue I can't help
Hi thanks for replying! You don't have to have anxiety regarding your diabetes to complete the questionnaire. The aim of the research is to see what factors affect health anxiety levels whether high or low.

I'm struggling with this because it seems to be directed towards health anxiety in diabetes so if I answer honestly about general health anxiety, it appears to be diabeties related (which it isn't).

Questions like 'do you worry that you may have a serious illness' don't work too well when you already have. In my case it's a reality and I'd have a bit of a delusional condition if I didn't worry about having cancer. So I'll need to pass on this one because my answers are distorting the reality.

For instance; how would I answer this?

(a) I never think I have a serious illness.
(b) I sometimes think I have a serious illness.
(c) I often think I have a serious illness.
(d) I usually think that I am seriously ill.

Sound be an (e) I know I have a serious illness

Done it. Mind, "Are you able to follow an exercise plan recommended by your doctor " is a big No. if God and his angels and saints asked me to exercise it would still be No.:D

I've had another go but it's not working for me;

Question;

(a) I usually feel at very low risk for developing a serious illness.

(b) I usually feel at fairly low risk for developing a serious illness.

(c) I usually feel at moderate risk for developing a serious illness.

(d) I usually feel at high risk for developing a serious illness.

For this one for instance my reply would have to be;

(e) I know 'the horse has already bolted!'

I'm also struggling with this. The question 'I am not relieved if the doctor tells me there's nothing wrong' well the doctor never tells me there's nothing wrong because there is plenty wrong.

The way the questions are worded is like I'm making a bigger deal of my illnesses and disabilities than they are, but actually my medical conditions are serious. Including, in my opinion, my type one diabetes, because my various other conditions contribute to finding the type one diabetes hard to control. Questions like 'I am always afraid I have a serious illness' is option other for me. I know I have a serious illness, and I try to get on with my life anyway. I am always aware of body changes, well yes I need to be as I don't have hypo awareness and I need to feel if things aren't quite right to deal with it before it's too dangerous.

I have had to have therapy to learn how to cope with my anxiety. As someone who has had to have ambulance called because of hypo, I am always anxious about my diabetes. And I do worry about what my sugar levels are doing. But it's justified in that my sugars tend to change quite rapidly.

If you want to find out more information about how my anxiety affects me, with my many medical conditions, and what has helped keep the anxiety at bay, I'll gladly share via here or PM, but I'm not comfortable with the questionnaire that seems to be implying I'm a hypochondriac with the way the questions are asked.

A serious question Hannah. How can this questionnaire cater for people who already have very serious conditions without implying that their knowledge and appropriate response to it isn't a disproportionate level of anxiety?
Many people are expert patients without being neurotic patients which means constant awareness of bodily changes that could be danger signs as @Amberzak says.

It only seems to fit people who worry but don't yet have serious conditions.

I just get on and answer the questions as long as Alan okays them.As a huge anxiety sufferer I thought was fine

I take it that you're not able to answer my and Amberzak's questions Hannah?

I'm also struggling with this. The question 'I am not relieved if the doctor tells me there's nothing wrong' well the doctor never tells me there's nothing wrong because there is plenty wrong.

The way the questions are worded is like I'm making a bigger deal of my illnesses and disabilities than they are, but actually my medical conditions are serious. Including, in my opinion, my type one diabetes, because my various other conditions contribute to finding the type one diabetes hard to control. Questions like 'I am always afraid I have a serious illness' is option other for me. I know I have a serious illness, and I try to get on with my life anyway. I am always aware of body changes, well yes I need to be as I don't have hypo awareness and I need to feel if things aren't quite right to deal with it before it's too dangerous.

I have had to have therapy to learn how to cope with my anxiety. As someone who has had to have ambulance called because of hypo, I am always anxious about my diabetes. And I do worry about what my sugar levels are doing. But it's justified in that my sugars tend to change quite rapidly.

If you want to find out more information about how my anxiety affects me, with my many medical conditions, and what has helped keep the anxiety at bay, I'll gladly share via here or PM, but I'm not comfortable with the questionnaire that seems to be implying I'm a hypochondriac with the way the questions are asked.

Hi, I'm sorry the questionnaire made you feel this way it is not my intent. I have compiled various questionnaires to assess different factors to then see if there is any relationship between them. If you have any further questions please email me on; 13004314@hope.ac.uk. Thank you.

Hi, I'm sorry the questionnaire made you feel this way it is not my intent. I have compiled various questionnaires to assess different factors to then see if there is any relationship between them. If you have any further questions please email me on; 13004314@hope.ac.uk. Thank you.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what that means Hannah and am not being obstructive. I genuinely wanted to complete your questionnaire because I have a strong interest in the subject having dealt with it professionally. However I don't think this particular questionnaire is constructed in a way that works universally so I'll pass on it this time.
Wishing you well with your studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back